School me on turkey calls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on turkey calls.

School me on turkey calls. Any and all types.

Opinions, elixirs, and shenanigans welcome.

I think the easiest to use is a box call. Easiest box call to use is one with a plunger. I have all kinds of turkey calls but the two I always take to the woods are a slate and several diaphragms. Diaphragms take some practice to master but you can make a wide variety of turkey sounds and have your hands free to handle a gun or bow.

Comment

Agree on the box call. I've used several & own many but my best is this graphite "wet" call I picked up at Academy 10 years ago...makes so many various sounds & tones
      Good luck

Comment

Mouth call.

Practice in your truck while you're driving. It's not that difficult. Having both hands free while that Tom is coming in much better.

Comment

following

Comment

Turkey calls are like your wife's makeup- you can't just have one, variety for occasion.

Push button box- easiest to use, limited sounds
            Paddle box call- lots of volume, plenty of versatility with practice
            Diaphragm- I can get lost in these- single reed, double, triples, various reed cuts & notches. It can get truly overwhelming & mind boggling! But this is my preference. Most versatile sound, tone and volume & they are hands free.

Slates- lots of different surface types & striker combos. Very versatile. My preference if I'm running a 2 man set up and I'm calling for a shooter or vice versa (assuming they know what they are doing!)

Get online at nwtf.org and start learning "the language", what each turkey vocalization sounds like & what it means. Then start trying to replicate with calls.

If I could only hunt 1 thing for the rest of my life, it would be spring gobblers

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

If I could only hunt 1 thing for the rest of my life, it would be spring gobblers
              X2 on that. I got hooked about 5 years ago, and its my favorite type of hunting.

and you cant have too many calls.

Comment

Turkeys are fruitcakes. Sometimes they will respond to a box better than a slate. Sometimes a diaphragm and nothing else. Sometimes nothing. I take all three. I have call more in with a diaphragm but last bird called only moved when I would box talk. I take all three including different material strikers

Comment

You are so right Glen, you never know what they will respond to on any given day. I guess that is part of the challenge. As far as friction calls I carry one with a slate surface and another one with an aluminum plate. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it but often one brings them in when the other won't.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Turkeys are fruitcakes. Sometimes they will respond to a box better than a slate. Sometimes a diaphragm and nothing else. Sometimes nothing. I take all three. I have call more in with a diaphragm but last bird called only moved when I would box talk. I take all three including different material strikers
                    ^^^Truth be told!! Calling and calls can also depend on the weather, Hard to use a box or pot call when its damp out!

Comment

I like a diaphragm to keep my hands free. I sure do miss turkey hunting, it's by far my favorite! We sold our family ranch 4 years ago and I haven't got to hunt turkey's since

Comment

I carry a box, a slate, and a diaphragm call and mix it up throughout the day.

If you don't know where the turkeys are, start with some light clucks, then work your way up in to loud cutting. That usually riles up 'ol Tom and he'll answer w/ a gobble. A box and a diaphragm call is best for cutting.

up close, a slate call can be softer and more subtle. But it ties your hands up.

As far as ease of use:
                        - Box - easiest
                        - Slate - medium
                        -Diaphram - hardest

Comment

Also, the key to turkey calling is knowing when to shut up.

if you yelp and he cuts you off gobbling, put your call down and get your gun ready. It might take him 30 minutes to get to you, but 8 out of 10 times, that the sign that he's coming.

Comment

in case ya'll can't tell, I love me some turkey hunting.

Mainly hunt public land back home in MS. Easterns. Dems are some smart chickens.

I'm looking forward to trying my hand at killing some Rios here in TX. Just gotta find some spots! There isn't any public land in TX!

Comment

i appreciate your responses! I'm hoping to get drawn for a turkey hint but if I don't get it I'll go out west and see if I can call one in!

Comment

Working...
                              X