Insurace flooring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some damage due to a leaky roof from Mr. Harvey. The damage occurred in our back play room and our master bedroom. The flooring we have in our house is all the same (laminate), minus the kitchen and bathrooms, which is tile. All the bedrooms have the same flooring which flows in to the hallway, dining room, entryway, and living room. There are no transition pieces between the bedroom and hallway and none until you get to the kitchen. We had damage to flooring in our master bed room. Should the insurance pay to replace the flooring in just our master bed room, or should it cover the other bedrooms and living and dining room since it's all connected with no breaks/transition pieces. Also, if it should only be replaced in master bed room and the flooring is no longer available, am I supposed to settle for a different flooring than the rest of the areas?

I cant see that happening.

Comment

When mine got damaged in a storm insurance said if the same floor is still available they will will pay to patch. If it's not available they need to pay to replace where existing floor is.

Have they sent a sample off to the lab?

Comment

Most cases they will stop at the door and pay you for a threshold to change to the next. They rarely pay for continuing when there's a door they breaks the area

Comment

We had the same issue with our laminate flooring when the refrigerator water line let go. Insurance paid to redo the entire floor even though it only got 2 areas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the same issue years ago. They would only replace to a door that could be closed. Told me to put a threshold. Good luck to get them to do the whole house.

Comment

All depends on who your insurance company is and how good (to you) your adjuster is.

Comment

Originally posted by pafdrn View Post
                All depends on who your insurance company is and how good (to you) your adjuster is.
                This

When mine got damaged in a storm insurance said if the same floor is still available they will pay to patch. If it's not available they need to pay to replace where existing floor is.

And This

Comment

Originally posted by pafdrn View Post

This

Comment

The industry rule is that flooring gets replaced to the door break point.

I frequently break that rule.

Your policy includes a right to demand an appraisal.
                    Sometimes that will get the company to move on an issue like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                      The industry rule is that flooring gets replaced to the door break point.

I frequently break that rule.

Your policy includes a right to demand an appraisal.
                      Sometimes that will get the company to move on an issue like this.
                      I've already had an adjuster come out and they have cut the check. I was just curious if it was worth the fight if I cannot find the same flooring to replace it with. I don't want different flooring in one bedroom and playroom than in the rest of the house.

Comment

How old is the flooring?

Your adjuster can run an ITEL report to see if it is still available.

The usually will need a small sample to send off to Florida for verification, although I now carry a mobile lab in my Jeep that tells me in 30 minutes if it still available.

Comment

When my water heater burst at my previous house it only damaged maybe 50 sf of laminate flooring.... if that. They paid for new flooring all through the entire house as it was all continuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            How old is the flooring?

Your adjuster can run an ITEL report to see if it is still available.

The usually will need a small sample to send off to Florida for verification, although I now carry a mobile lab in my Jeep that tells me in 30 minutes if it still available.
                            I called the MFG and they claim they still make it, of course we can't buy direct from them and her Asian accent was hard to understand. She gave me a couple of places that stock their flooring so I will have to get with them and see if they can order it. The original place we bought it from no longer carries it.

Comment

I’m on the reconstruction side... on carpet, doorways sre almost always the norm for a stopping point. However on hard surfaces, most adjusters seem to replace as far as that floor extends regardless of door openings. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X