Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
locolobo
Six Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX
Default Firearm patina

I have a Harrington & Richardson 20 ga that is my most cherished firearm. It was the first gun that I bought, when I was 14 yrs old, with my own money. Not long after bought, I added a 30/30 barrel and made it my first deer rifle too. It has now been passed down to my son, then it was his first gun. Being a H&R and the fact that the young me did not really know how to take care of a firearm, the bluing did not last long. Years ago I stripped it down and re-blued it using Birchwood Casey cold blue. That finish did not last very long either. Since then the finish has turned to a blackish brown with the rust that we now try to keep at bay with fairly frequent polish with a rough rag soaked with WD-40, PB Blaster or whatever we have on hand.
My question: I rather like the patina it has taken on and want to keep the color. I do not want to take it down to bare metal and refinish it. But the metal has started to take on a rough feel. I'm thinking the rust is still working under the surface. I was wondering if a fine steel wool would get the feel back without removing the "patina". I have some 4/0 for use on other projects and I believe that is the finest steel wool around. Then use a couple coats of wax like I do for other guns.

Last edited by locolobo; 12-08-2018 at 02:02 PM.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

If the finish is feeling rough, then some fine pitting has already occurred & the reason you have to stay on top of things. The only real way to deal with that issue is polishing (which is a bit of an art & not thin the hell out of the stamping)

I'm not certain of any real fire way to seal the gun with the current patina. If it were me, I would reach out to the experts & give a call into Turnbull Restorations & see if they could provide any do it yourself tips or offer assistance.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

First, stop using WD 40 on any of your guns. It's not made for that.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
locolobo
Six Point

The only thing I use WD40 for is to help cut rust. Seems to help take it off better than anything else. It does not go into the action, no way, no how.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
locolobo
Six Point

tried to upload a photo of alleged firearm but no-go. Would show jpg # next to first browse box, hit upload, get Sending message, waiting on discussion, then 2 or 3 messages that go by so fast that I don't have time to read them. What am I doing wrong? First time to try posting photo!