help me out! Nikon - Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help me out! Nikon - Canon

hey photo shooters. my truck camera is not broken. been thinking of getting a real nice one. 500.00-700.00 the last was a point and shoot type.. 250.00 I think. had a great time with it. I will get a bundle group from Best Buy. lens will be something like 18-55 and 55-200 can go bigger later. but need input on the maker. Nikon or Canon? other? I had a Canon 35 mm film years ago. not hunting this year so will spend time in the other field work.
    anybody have a best maker for the money? thanks.

I shot Nikon for years but switched to Canon back in 2012. I like the Canon stuff better. Seems easier to use. Should be able to find a T3-T5 bundle in that price range...

Comment

They're equally good. Try them both out (friends who own them or at a camera store) and see which one you like best based on feel and layout of the buttons and controls, etc.... There are boatloads of lenses available for both brands, and you can get equally good image quality out of either one. It just boils down to personal preference.

Comment

^^^This

Also remember, whichever you buy, you are buying into the entire eco-system. There aren't really any products that go back and forth. I shoot Canon. Not saying it is any better, but I'm familiar with it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          They're equally good. Try them both out (friends who own them or at a camera store) and see which one you like best based on feel and layout of the buttons and controls, etc.... There are boatloads of lenses available for both brands, and you can get equally good image quality out of either one. It just boils down to personal preference.
          Spot on. I have said this before on this forum, I shot Canon for years and one time when it was time for an upgrade I opened it up and looked at Nikon as well. At that time, Nikon felt better in my hands and that is the direction I went. Luckily, I was not heavily invested in pro level lenses at that time so the switch was easy.
          I think what most serious photographers will say is that once you get invested in high quality lenses, that is probably the "ecosystem" (as stated above) that you will always be with.
          The cool thing about photography is that both brands you speak of will take better photos than any of us are capable of really shooting from a technical standpoint. But, photography is art and not about what body or lens that was used to take the photo.
          Buy what trips your trigger and then have fun with it!

Comment

the avatar that is to the left was taken by me with a 250.00 point and shoot. I have seen some VERY good stuff come from a smart phone. cant wait to try out something from this time and age. way back in the early 80's the Canon 35mm was top line. thanks for the input. cant wait to hold a few and make the buy.

Comment

The good news is you won't go wrong either way, but lenses for cannon cameras are a bit cheaper on average.

Comment

both are excellent cameras. do your homework, find what works for you and go with that. great images from either brand.

Comment

One thing I'll add is that if you have a (close) friend that shoots either brand, you may have an advantage going with the same brand so you can borrow or swap lenses.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    One thing I'll add is that if you have a (close) friend that shoots either brand, you may have an advantage going with the same brand so you can borrow or swap lenses.
                    This is what my wife and friends do.

Comment

I shot Minolta, then Sony after the buyout, since the 80's. I have some great lenses and filters. The great thing was all my old Minolta stuff fit the Sony cameras, so didn't have to make any big changes. It looks like now Sony is not investing in keeping their DSL completive, so im having to make the switch. Gave all my old stuff to my son.

Costco currently has the Nikon D3300 DSLR Camera 2 Lens Bundle for $599 and the Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR Camera 2 Lens Bundle for $499, either bundle is a great buy. I'm leaning toward the Nikon, just because of the 24.2 MP.

Comment

Bryan - I have a Canon SL1 in the classifieds if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          That's what I did. I was shooting a Canon, started playing with a friends Nikon D7000. Liked it a lot and went out and bought a Nikon D5300 with 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. Shot that for about 6 months, then bought a Nikon D7000 body and bought his extra 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. Now I have a backup camera and lenses if the better half wants to learn top shoot.

Comment

I did lots of hands on comparison, I had lots of friends that had cameras. I went with Nikon because they felt better and the glass looks a tad clearer to me. I've played it a few Cannons over the years and I do like them but I don't regret my Nikon at all.

Comment

I am really looking at getting a Nikon d5300 in the near future. I will be having a girl in August and would like to have something better than a phone for pictures and videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X