Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone built their own lighted store front sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone built their own lighted store front sign?

We are about to open a new store and for the short term I am using the existing casing/cabinet and replacing the white acrylic. THat said, all I see is a 3/4" square tube frame, 8' florescent lights and sheet metal to cap the sides and ends, then use some broke angle for caps to hold the acrylic in place. It seems pretty straight forward and easy fabrication. So why are these quoted out at 5-9k for a 3x16 or 4 x20?
    So all that said, has anyone made their own? Pics and advice to share? This will be a single face sign hanging above the store front entrance. Nothing special or difficult about it
    Last edited by brushtrooper; 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM.

Check local building codes first...

Comment

That box started out as straight stock material. Most people don't have the ability to fabricate the box and wire up the electrical. If you have a box, you should be able to get a sign shop to letter (vinyl) the plexiglass for you reasonable. They need to use translucent vinyl, designed to allow light thru. That material is a little more costly.

If the box is already on location, you should not need a permit just to replace face. If you have to hang it, your city will require a permit.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
        That box started out as straight stock material. Most people don't have the ability to fabricate the box and wire up the electrical. If you have a box, you should be able to get a sign shop to letter (vinyl) the plexiglass for you reasonable. They need to use translucent vinyl, designed to allow light thru. That material is a little more costly.

If the box is already on location, you should not need a permit just to replace face. If you have to hang it, your city will require a permit.

oh look...what is that?
        Good point on permit to hang it, I will verify with the city. The last time I did a sign we just put it up and the city inspector came by and approved it but that was a few years ago. I ordered the 3/16" white acrylic and I have the vinyl machine to make what we need. I planned on using my buddies shark truck/rack to slide the sign into the cabinet. I am using the current cabinet for now but I can go larger per our city ordinance. I would like to build a new cabinet later on and go larger. I was just blown away at the cost I was getting quoted for a basic plain jane type sign.

Comment

Working...
        X