Pop Up Platform Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop Up Platform Height?

I'm going to build a platform to put a pop up blind on this year and probably next year a Krivoman or Maverick blind. What height to the floor do you guys normally make yours? Blind will be 15 yards from my feeder pen and my pop up is the Ameristep style with the triangle shaped windows.

I built mine 4' high. 8' x 6' platform. Your blind windows are key. Need to make sure you will still be able to shoot to the ground when it's elevated. The lower the window goes the better.

Comment

I'd go 4 feet high. Buy two 8 foot 4x4s and cut them in half for the legs.

Then I'd go 8x8 on the platform.

Less cuts this route.

Comment

We just put one up last weekend that is 6’ and 8x8 on the platform

Comment

mine is 7' off the ground. as long as you don't have cows 4' or so is fine, but cows will destroy a pop-up in short order.

Comment

This is a set up from last year , its on a 4 legged stand that fell over and was damaged so I cut the legs down and the pop up slide right over the hand rails . it was right at 4.5 feet up if that helps you any

Hunt 2017 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

4' is what I was thinking and that sounds like what most of y'all are doing. I was going to make my platform 8'x8' what size frame are y'all using for the floor. The floor will be 3/4'' treated plywood, would 2x4 frame work or did y'all use 2x6?

Comment

If you have cows I would go 5ft minimum. Seen lots of people use 2x4 for base. If going 8 ft wide, I would go 2x6 for sure.

Comment

I went 10' and should have gone 8'. The wind tends to swirl a lot in that location so I wanted to get my odor above them. I went with 2X6 frame 4X4 legs so i could eventually put a box blind on the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                    4' is what I was thinking and that sounds like what most of y'all are doing. I was going to make my platform 8'x8' what size frame are y'all using for the floor. The floor will be 3/4'' treated plywood, would 2x4 frame work or did y'all use 2x6?
                    I did a few 2x4 and then did the most recent ones 2x6. The 2x6 is definitely the way to go.

Comment

If I had to build a base I would invest in the brackets , makes the job that much easier , take a batter power saw drill and build it on site .

Comment

I think ours are 8' off the ground. Krivoman blinds about 20-25 yards from the feed pens.

Comment

I agree that 4' is about right for a pop-up. With windows starting at around 32" high, if you get too far up short range shots can become problematic. I would hate to have a deer standing broadside at "lay-up" range and not be able to see the kill zone. Here's a backside view of one of mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	24550704
                          Last edited by jerp; 08-21-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

5 foot is perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                              I did a few 2x4 and then did the most recent ones 2x6. The 2x6 is definitely the way to go.
                              We did 2x4 but build it in 4 4x4 sections to be able to get it back to the location I wanted it at. Ended up using 5 4x4 for supports just to make sure.

I would go 2x6 on the next one I think

Last edited by hooligan; 08-21-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X