Handyman electrical work legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handyman electrical work legality

Wanting to start a handyman business. I am not a licensed electrician. I've done plenty of electrical work for my self and am confident in my abilities, and definitely know where those abilities stop.

How much if any electrical work can I legally do or advertise to do for a customer?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I have nothing constructive to add to this

Comment

None unless you're a licensed electrician, and working for a licensed contractor.

Comment

Want to say I read a post on here where a guy bragged his wife loved to set up handymans and report them to the state if they did work that required licensing.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Want to say I read a post on here where a guy bragged his wife loved to set up handymans and report them to the state if they did work that required licensing.

Comment

Will you be insured and bonded?

Comment

When you say you're confident in your abilities, do you mean that it will work or that it is right as per the NEC?

Comment

I would not hire you because if any damage occurred because of the work you did, my insurance would not cover it. You would have to be licensed and bonded.
                Last edited by Geezy Rider; 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                  None unless you're a licensed electrician, and working for a licensed contractor.
                  This...

Comment

I would Not advertise it and if a customer asked for some elect.work to be done and it was with in your capabilities make sure you document with the customer that you can do it but in no way a representing yourself as a licensed electrician.
                    I don't see how you could get in any trouble as long as your up front and honest
                    And carry a good liability policy.

Comment

[QUOTE=WTucker;12989116]None unless you're a licensed electrician, and working for a licensed contractor.[/QUOT

I thought Texas didn't have licensed contractor.

Comment

[quote=mmoses;12989316]
                        Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                        None unless you're a licensed electrician, and working for a licensed contractor.[/QUOT

I thought Texas didn't have licensed contractor.
                        A licensed Journeyman electrician must work under a Licensed Master electrician. A contractor needs a Masters license on the payroll to do work in Tejas.

Comment

I once replaced a ceiling fan for a lady on a Saturday.

Comment

It was pretty intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Will you be insured and bonded?
                              I can be. Does that change what I can do?
                              Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              I would not hire you because if any damage occurred because of the work you did, my insurance would not cover it. You would have to be licensed and bonded.
                              Wouldn't hire at all, or wouldn't hire for electrical?
                              Originally posted by Traxx View Post
                              When you say you're confident in your abilities, do you mean that it will work or that it is right as per the NEC?
                              Work

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X