Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Cutco Knives really worth the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Cutco Knives really worth the price?

As a favor to a friend I had a Cutco sales guy give my wife and I the pitch last nite. To say I was shocked at the prices is an understatement. I just had no idea how much these things cost. I am sure they are awesome knives but $1,200.00??

Is there a high quality knife company out there that is not as expensive as Cutco or is that just price for a high quality set of knives.

Appreciate your feedback.
    Raleigh

Hail no!

Comment

I have the Cutco filet knife and ill say, its not my go to when cleaning fish...
      We just had a home show in Victoria a month ago and Cutco sales rep had a booth. I talked to him for a while due to interest in a set of good knives including steak knives. He went from $1200 to $750 in about 5 minutes... for his 1 time end of show special. I still walked but if you're considering it, there is room for negotiation.

Comment

Not sure if they went up on their pricing but when my sister sold them in high school, my parents bought a set of 8 steak knives, the kitchen shears, and a full block of chefs knives for around $600 or so. That was almost 12 years ago and everything I'm over there for dinner they're still as sharp as I remember the day they got them

Comment

I have ONE like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drop-point-knife.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	24542401

It hasn't impressed me yet.

Comment

Nope. It's a big marketing racket where a bunch of people get paid. The sales guy, his boss, his boss' boss, etc.

Comment

If youre looking for something for the kitchen, there are much better options. You don't see many professional chefs running Cutco.

Comment

I have the hunting knife and kitchen set and IMO yes they are. Are kitchen set gets used heavily and have never had an issue.

Comment

Wife bought a set when her cousin was selling them. They're good knives, haven't had any issues with the kitchen knives. I broke the fillet knife while cleaning a redfish. I sent it back and they sent me a brand new one.

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
                    If youre looking for something for the kitchen, there are much better options. You don't see many professional chefs running Cutco.
                    Some of the Cutco tools are really great and others not so great. I have two sets of the kitchen shears and they are absolutely the best I have ever seen. One set is very old and still cuts like new. I have two hunting knives, one serrated blade and one straight edge. The guarantee on the serrated blade is legit they will sharpen in for free but you have to ship it to them but worth it. The straight edge is OK but not the best but still a good knife. I really like the handle on both of them very user friendly. I have some of the kitchen knives and 4 steak knives. The kitchen knives stay in the drawer and I very rarely use them (I have german knives for everything meat). The steak knives are excellent and we use them a lot. So there you go! Picky what you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                      I have the hunting knife and kitchen set and IMO yes they are. Are kitchen set gets used heavily and have never had an issue.
                      My son's buddy was selling them in college and I bought one to help him out. That knife is still my go to gutting/skinning knife and seems to be very well made. It's the only one I own but I am impressed with the overall quality if that means anything.

Comment

My wife, MIL & SIL all have Cutco's, they like them. They didn't pay $1200 for them though, not sure which set we have but I believe they were around $700 at the state fair.

Comment

I think they are great knives, it's their sales model that bugs me. I might try one if I could go online and buy a single knife. Instead it's a local kid, eg: son of a friend, who calls and says "I just started this new job and I need to practice my presentation. Can I come by one evening this week?" You then get the full-blown pitch along with a $1,200 price tag. No thanks.

Comment

You are paying a lot for the name, can you get the job done for less, absolutely. Salesmanship sells. Only thing better if a good lookin, scantly clad woman would have been selling them. Then I there is an option to have a couple beers while your lookin at the show to loosen you up a bit. My take and 2 cent.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              I think they are great knives, it's their sales model that bugs me. I might try one if I could go online and buy a single knife. Instead it's a local kid, eg: son of a friend, who calls and says "I just started this new job and I need to practice my presentation. Can I come by one evening this week?" You then get the full-blown pitch along with a $1,200 price tag. No thanks.
                              Yep, this college kid in our neighborhood did the same thing. Ask someone they're friends with for their full contact list of the neighborhood, we got a heads up that "I gave this great kid your name. He's super cool and hard working." Kid calls, I tell him we don't need any knives, "Oh, I totally get it. Can I just run the pitch by you for practice even though you won't buy anything?" And then he puts the hard sale on and acts insulted when the answer is still no.

I know his parents. They have more money than I do. I feel no obligation to pay for his beer money, and it's annoying that I'm now the bad guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X