Wire feed welder issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire feed welder issue

My Lincoln 180 has quit working right. It is getting some current, enough to orange and barely melt the wire, but not enough to arc properly. Cleaned ground clamp connections, no difference. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like voltage to me, have you checked voltage at the plug?

Comment

watching ..I got one too ,update on the fix/cause -good luck

Comment

Could be copper windings. I’m not sure if a breaker could somehow be at fault or not but had to replace one when it quit working entirely.

Comment

Time for a new welder, sorry.

Comment

Amperage selector??

Comment

are you sure the wire is feeding correctly? If you pull the trigger and try to hold the wire will it just stop feeding or does it push on out? the liners in the wire feed hose can get corroded and not let the wire feed properly so it does not arc and weld right. Also the drive roller can wear, so there is slippage and the wire does not feed properly

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                are you sure the wire is feeding correctly? If you pull the trigger and try to hold the wire will it just stop feeding or does it push on out? the liners in the wire feed hose can get corroded and not let the wire feed properly so it does not arc and weld right. Also the drive roller can wear, so there is slippage and the wire does not feed properly

I would check for these first^^^. Second would be outlet voltage. If you have a dual breaker box, check to see if one of the breakers has tripped.

Also, the welder has a "Duty Cycle". The duty cycle for the 180 is 30%. That means you can only weld for 3 minutes straight of 10 minutes before the welder will shut down.

Comment

"Stutter" welding is not good.

Comment

These things will cause the wire to not feed properly but the wire would still burn fine once it contacted the metal.

Comment

Cleaned the ground. Cleaned the tip. Still need to plug in and check feed rate. Voltage to the plug should be good but I can check.

Comment

Figured out it was an ID 10 T error. Voltage knob got bumped and was in between positions. This machine has five levels, finite, so in between makes it not work.

Comment

Glad ya figured it out.

Comment

thanks for that update

Comment

Working...
                            X