4th Gen Ram 2500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th Gen Ram 2500

I'm looking at diesels and have started looking at the Rams. I found a few 2016 Laramies that are pretty nice, but I have no experience with Rams. Any things I should watch for? Thoughts?

I've got two 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 trucks. CTD & Aisin transmission.

Great trucks.

I just had 2 recalls done at the dealer this week. The first was a software issue in the transmission lock out. The seconds was a Cummins recall to replace the water pump.
    I had no issue with either item, but they addressed the recalls while it was in for an oil change and fuel filters.

Comment

Front end and electronics are weak points. One heck of a motor!

Comment

The "it's a dodge" crowd will be along shortly to tell you to run. I've got a 15 Tradesman with the 6.4. Only issue outside of a couple recalls was the radio acting up, which was fixed by a simple update. Some complain about the fit and finish, interiors, etc. IMO, they aren't any worse than the rest of the brands. I will say ford has them beat in the gizmo department if that matters to you. If you like the trucks, buy one.
        Last edited by jdg13; 08-10-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I will say the interiors on the interior has come a long way since the 1997 I owned and the are a lot quieter. I'll ask them to check the recalls.

Comment

Ive got a 4th gen 2013 2500. About to roll 116k. Been deleted since 30k miles. Ive changed ball joints and tie rods. Other than that just maintenance items. My only complaint is the quality of the paint. But I don't find that its any worse than any other make or model.

Comment

Just bought an 18' 2500 tradesman with the 6.7. Even being a tradesman it's the nicest truck I've ever owned, pulls the heck out of my boat too. I've always driven half tons and they struggled to pull my bay boat (always looking for the right gear). Not this thing you barely even feel it back there.

Comment

I had 2. a 98 1/2 and an 03. Got new truck itch and traded the 03 for a durajap. Do anything to re-live that day and keep the 03. If I go back to diesel prolly be another cummins.

I attempted to follow a buddy home from leakey this past week. He was pullin a 39' 5th wheel 80 mph like nobodys business with his 17 6.7 tradesman.

Comment

Still looking. Most of the ones I find that have the features I'm looking for either have too many miles or are way rougher than what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by ABroussard View Post
                    Ive got a 4th gen 2013 2500. About to roll 116k. Been deleted since 30k miles. Ive changed ball joints and tie rods. Other than that just maintenance items. My only complaint is the quality of the paint. But I don't find that its any worse than any other make or model.
                    That’s my biggest complaint.

I find chips all the time in my paint. But, I drive it down a lot of roads under construction right now.

But, it will pull anything I hookup to it so far. It seems to like it the more weight it gets too

If you get a 3500, I wouldn’t pay the premium for the aisin if it was me. I’ve heard they are maintenance hogs, plus if you’re not loaded all the time, it’s kind of a waste.

The 68 has a bad reputation for sure, and rightfully so. But it’s much better than transmissions of old.

If I was buying used, make sure you look for tell-tale signs it was deleted. If so, I’d probably go a different direction.

One other issue is rear main seal. There’s an inspection plate on the transmission housing you can remove with a 5/16 nut driver I believe. Look in there for oil leaking down from behind the flywheel.

Always look at the carfax if you can. It won’t tell you everything by it will let you know if it had a bunch of warranty work done.
                    Last edited by 12RingKing; 08-12-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

4th Gen Ram 2500

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                      That’s my biggest complaint.

I find chips all the time in my paint. But, I drive it down a lot of roads under construction right now.

But, it will pull anything I hookup to it so far. It seems to like it the more weight it gets too

If you get a 3500, I wouldn’t pay the premium for the aisin if it was me. I’ve heard they are maintenance hogs, plus if you’re not loaded all the time, it’s kind of a waste.

The 68 has a bad reputation for sure, and rightfully so. But it’s much better than transmissions of old.

If I was buying used, make sure you look for tell-tale signs it was deleted. If so, I’d probably go a different direction.

One other issue is rear main seal. There’s an inspection plate on the transmission housing you can remove with a 5/16 nut driver I believe. Look in there for oil leaking down from behind the flywheel.

Always look at the carfax if you can. It won’t tell you everything by it will let you know if it had a bunch of warranty work done.

If I were buying a 3500 I’d get the HO engine with the Aisin in a heartbeat. They are a much stouter transmission by far.

Also the ones I drove when looking the shift pattern was much better as was the grade shifting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        If I were buying a 3500 I’d get the HO engine with the Aisin in a heartbeat. They are a much stouter transmission by far.

Also the ones I drove when looking the shift pattern was much better as was the grade shifting.

To each their own. I don’t think it’s worth the premium

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

My 68 shifts like a dream with the tune on it. Increased line pressure. Changed shift points. Converter doesn’t lock and unlock non stop like the factory trans tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ABroussard View Post
                            My 68 shifts like a dream with the tune on it. Increased line pressure. Changed shift points. Converter doesn’t lock and unlock non stop like the factory trans tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Agreed.

70k+ deleted/tuned miles on my 2016 Ram with +100hp tune. They're good trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                              Front end and electronics are weak points. One heck of a motor!
                              New front ends on the 2014+ 2500s and 2013+ 3500s. Never owned the older models but I'm told the new ones are much improved.

Comment

Working...
                              X