Grizzly Stix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grizzly Stix

I am looking for a heavy shaft for hunting. I saw some Grizzly Stix at the local wheelie bow archery shop and was impressed. They were special ordered for someone so there wasn't a price on them. I am even more impressed when I go online to price the things. Ouch! Has anyone on here ever used them? I sold bows for less money than the price of a single shaft.

They're proud of their products for sure.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got some. never shot anything but my target with them. You can tell they hit waaayyy harder than normal arrows. They make your bow dead quiet too. Also at 30 yards+ your trajectory is that of an artillery round. Good luck finding a critter in texas to hold one in it though. They are bad dudes

Comment

I'm looking into making the switch to GS for our Africa trip. We're hunting plains game, but some of the bigger species such as Kudu and Mt. Zebra.
        They have a rep here in the San Antonio area and he's a pleasure to work with and he knows his stuff.
        Those heavy and high FOC arrows are a great asset to low poundage bow shooters such as my daughter.

Comment

I used them for quite a while. They are good shafts, but the last set I bought had too much weight variance for me. I haven't bought any in about 5 or 6 years so they may have solved the weight variance problem.
          Last edited by Phillip Fields; 08-08-2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I have used them in the past with good success. Only negative about them is the price

Comment

Looked at them. Decided on Easton FMJ 250, trimmed to the length I like them, with 125 grain tip, mine weigh 712 grains. That is with 75 grain insert. I could have left the insert at 100 grains and been at 737grains. and I can put two full length strands of .095 trimmer string in the shaft to get it up some more. Can't imagine needing it any heavier, though. Yes, makes the bows quiet. Trajectory kind of sucks, though. I think the Grizzly Sticks are way overpriced. I believe they are tapered on the outside, I'm sure that increases the cost to make them, but I'd question the necessity of that. I just checked, the trimmer string increases the weight of my FMJ's 50 grains per strand, so two strands give me an 812 grain arrow, if I go to a heavier than 125 head, can get it up some more. How heavy do you need to go? We joked about having to set the sight pins 3 yards apart for these
              Last edited by softpoint; 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Grizzly Stix

I have only been exposed to one negative experience a friend had with a dz of the GS shafts, but have never played with them myself to be able to have an objective opinion of them.

I shoot Easrton FMJ's. They are a great alternative depending on just how heavy you want to go. I shoot .400's with a 75gr insert and 150gr broadheads. Total arrow weight for me is right at 570gr, and the FMJ's are incredibly consistent in both spine and weight. Those 570gr arrows are right at 11.5gpp for my 50# bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It looks like I will be using a 47# (49# at my draw) Shafer Silvertip this year. It really likes a 500 spine arrow cut at 30". My focus over the last year has been on 400 spine arrows using 52 pound bows that are closer to 55# at my length. I can get a pretty decent selection of heavier shaft weights in the 400 but really am not seeing much above the high 8 gpi in the 500s. I would like to get the total arrow weight up to 550 or so without having all the weight in the insert and broadhead. Figuring a 125 point head and a hundred grain insert I can get to 500 grain fairly easy. The foc may be a little on the heavy end though. I ran onto the Grizzly Stix and they have so much shaft weight that I don't have to have 250 grains up front. I just need to go talk to the banker in order to set up a mortgage on a dozen of them.

I looked at the FMJs and kind of thought about going that way. Also thought about experimenting with various things like the trimmer line to help spread the weight out.

This morning I was repairing a target with the expanding foam and the thought ran through my head that it might work as a pretty good filler on a couple of arrows. I don't know how it would affect the spine, but I think it is worth an experiment with some ragged old arrows.

Comment

*****mm

And I thought the FMJ were expensive, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                      It looks like I will be using a 47# (49# at my draw) Shafer Silvertip this year. It really likes a 500 spine arrow cut at 30". My focus over the last year has been on 400 spine arrows using 52 pound bows that are closer to 55# at my length. I can get a pretty decent selection of heavier shaft weights in the 400 but really am not seeing much above the high 8 gpi in the 500s. I would like to get the total arrow weight up to 550 or so without having all the weight in the insert and broadhead. Figuring a 125 point head and a hundred grain insert I can get to 500 grain fairly easy. The foc may be a little on the heavy end though. I ran onto the Grizzly Stix and they have so much shaft weight that I don't have to have 250 grains up front. I just need to go talk to the banker in order to set up a mortgage on a dozen of them.

I looked at the FMJs and kind of thought about going that way. Also thought about experimenting with various things like the trimmer line to help spread the weight out.

This morning I was repairing a target with the expanding foam and the thought ran through my head that it might work as a pretty good filler on a couple of arrows. I don't know how it would affect the spine, but I think it is worth an experiment with some ragged old arrows.

Just my two scents but I wouldn't want to spread the weight out along the shaft. Just a personal preference but I'm a huge advocate of extreme FOC.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                        Just my two scents but I wouldn't want to spread the weight out along the shaft. Just a personal preference but I'm a huge advocate of extreme FOC.
                        I have some 400 spine arrows that are calculating out at over 22% FOC. My 500 spines with 175 grain tips and the little aluminum inserts are over 18% with a total arrow weight of about 441 grains. I don't want to put another 110 grains up front. I just filled a shaft with foam. After it sets a bit I will ream out the ends and reset the insert and nock and see how much it weighs and how it flies.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                          I have some 400 spine arrows that are calculating out at over 22% FOC. My 500 spines with 175 grain tips and the little aluminum inserts are over 18% with a total arrow weight of about 441 grains. I don't want to put another 110 grains up front. I just filled a shaft with foam. After it sets a bit I will ream out the ends and reset the insert and nock and see how much it weighs and how it flies.
                          Curious to see the results

Comment

I bought a set of Grizzly Stik and a set of Arrow Dynamics at the same time - many years ago (looks like a lot of changes have occurred at both arrow companies since then).

I was impressed with the force that the GS arrows hit the target, but I wasn't consistent with them. I had a very hard time getting them to group well, and the high weight variance of the group had to be a major contributing factor. I don't remember exactly how much the variance was, but I remember it being ridiculous (not a few grains - a LOT of grains in weight difference).

I still have the Arrow Dynamics, and still shoot them from my recurve. I sold off the GS's years ago.

All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                              *****mm

And I thought the FMJ were expensive, lol.

They are! Grizzly Sticks are just crazy!

To the OP, FOC is a good thing! I don't understand your not wanting a lot of weight up front???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X