No announcement yet.

Permethrin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stuff was very popular on my Appalachian Trail hike (lots of lime disease issues from VA to Mass). Look on the bottle.... the amount of active ingredient to inert ingredient is .5% to 95.5%. So a little bit of it goes a long way.

Comment

Lol permethrin is used as a topical ointment or lotion as well. It's used to cure scabies in humans. The stuff is safe and it's made from the chrysanthemum flower.

Comment

Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the EPA as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors. However, it is known to be highly toxic to fish and aquatic species.

Comment

It makes my face burn like a light sunburn. I try to only spray downwind on cows but if I can only spray a wilder cow into the wind who has too many flies.. i take it in the face a little

Comment

In normal concentrations it will not effect you, unless you are allergic.

Getting it on your skin does no harm, it just isn't effective as an insecticide.

Comment

Been using it for years, works, all that matters if you want to be outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                Buffalo Bill? Is that you????
                haha, I was thinking the same thing!

On topic, I have been wondering the same as well. I have a bottle at home but yet to apply it to any clothes.

Comment

I don't Know. What i do know is that I am more terrified of lyme.

Comment

Scent

So is it scent free or will it increase the need to approach from downwind?

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      Lol permethrin is used as a topical ointment or lotion as well. It's used to cure scabies in humans. The stuff is safe and it's made from the chrysanthemum flower.
                      And it works **** fine for scabies.

Comment

We used to ride our bicycles behind the DDT Jeep...ain't scared of no permethrin.

Comment

I think you’ve got Permethrin...

And Pyrethrin confused...

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerMax View Post
                            I think you’ve got Permethrin...

And Pyrethrin confused...

Pretty sure I dont

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              it rubs the permethrin on its skin else it gets the hose again.
                              put the #!%@$&! Permethrin in the basket!

Comment

Pretty sure I dont

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Okay...

Pyrethrum, or "insect powder", insecticide

Pyrethrum ("pie-wreath-rum") is a natural insecticide made from certain species of the chrysanthemum. It is a mixture of several different compounds called pyrethrins and cinerins. Originally pyrethrum was made by grinding dried chrysanthemum flowers into a powder. Today, pyrethrum is extracted with solvents but is still widely used in household insect sprays where it is usually combined with another chemical called piperonyl butoxide (PBO).

About 200 years ago people in central Asia discovered that dried, crushed flowers of certain chrysanthemums were toxic to insects. During the Napoleonic Wars (1804-1815) this "insect powder" was used to control flea and body lice infestations by French soldiers. Since then, pyrethrum has been used in many forms for effective, low toxicity insect control. However, because natural pyrethrum is not stable in sunlight it is seldom used in commercial agriculture.

Permethrin Insecticide

Permethrin ("per-meth-rin"), on the other hand, is a synthetic, man-made insecticide, whose chemical structure is based on natural pyrethrum. The so-called pyrethroid insecticides were developed to match or exceed the effectiveness of natural pyrethrum but be more stable in sunlight. Pyrethroid insecticides are used in agriculture because of their stability in sunlight.

Permethrin is widely used and has recently enjoyed an upswing in homeowner popularity since the widely used insecticide diazinon was taken off the US market. Permethrin has many uses from landscape pest control to head lice shampoos, flea, tick and mosquito control on dogs, and mosquito control on outdoor clothing and camping gear. Permethrin is relatively low toxicity but highly toxic to cats and some other animals.

Is natural pyrethrum a pyrethroid?

No. Pyrethrum is a relatively low toxicity natural insecticide and since it breaks down quickly, generally has low environmental impact as well. For these reasons it enjoys a reputation of being "safe". Pyrethroid insecticides, on the other hand, are generally more toxic, more environmentally persistent and therefore not as "safe".

Unfortunately, some marketers continue to claim that pyrethroid insecticides like permethrin are "made from chrysanthemum flowers" implying that they are "natural and safe". These claims are false, and if done intentionally to mislead consumers, the claims are highly unethical.

Comment

Working...
                                X