Question for the Dorado Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Dorado Shooters

After having some minor issues with my longbow. I picked up a Dorado today out of the classifieds that was affordable for me.

I'm really liking this recurve and its shooting very well for me, but.... the Dorado is very loud. Right now the previous owner has a set of cat whisker silencers on it and some foam on the limb tips where the string hits.

I'm guessing this thing is probably gonna be louder then my longbow but I would like to quiet it a little more. Do any of you guys that are shooting these or have shot them in the past have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Dennis

I shot with a guy a while back that had a Dorado. He had a set of "Stiktamers" on it which I had not seen before. He said it was the only thing he found that really stopped the twang. (that, and fiddling with the brace height)

Comment

Brace heigth, arrow weight and put a set of String Leeches in it. I favor string leeches over anything I have ever used.

Comment

After I posted this I remembered a friend who had a Dorado. He pretty much told me exactly what you guys just recommended. He uses the stiktamers and string leeches also. So looks like I will be purchasing some of those! Thanks so much! I'm gonna give those a try and then check back in.

Comment

Dorado's a great target bow but most of the reviews detail how loud it is when shooting.

Comment

I sold my stock limbs and put a set of Tradtech Blackmax medium limbs on it without the ILF bushings. Best thing I ever did to that bow. Play with your brace height and consider a heavier arrow.

Comment

BTW, I sold the stock limbs for more than I bought the upgraded limbs for.

Comment

I'm gonna tweak a little more on the brace height tonight but so far I adjusted it to 7 3/4" and it has made a noticeable difference. Then I grabbed some heavier arrows and it helped a little more. Gonna grab some string leeches today and then order some stiktamers on payday and I am hoping this does the trick.

Comment

Also..... I really want to shoot this thing off the shelf and I picked up some material to build out the side plate.

But... I got these arrows flying great out of this thing with little effort at all shooting off the flipper rest that came with it. This is the first time I have ever seen a broadhead fly so beautifully that I am scared to move to the shelf now.

I think I may just wait till after hunting season and then mess with it. I may also look into those limbs you mentioned Chad. They really intrigue me.

Comment

Mole skin on the riser plate, heavy duty velcro where the string hits. this will make it very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                      Brace heigth, arrow weight and put a set of String Leeches in it. I favor string leeches over anything I have ever used.
                      String leeches and heavier arrows did the trick. Made a pretty big difference. I get paid tomorrow and I am going to go ahead and order the stiktamers and that should get me where I wanna be. Thanks for the help everybody.

Comment

I shot a Dorado for a while and I did everything to it that you are doing. It got a lot better, but I still wouldn't refer to it as a quiet bow.

It did shoot really nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                          I shot a Dorado for a while and I did everything to it that you are doing. It got a lot better, but I still wouldn't refer to it as a quiet bow.

It did shoot really nice though.
                          This Bow is the first trad bow that I can actually say is "tuned" my last bows were royal pains in the rear end and never did end up shooting right. But wow what a difference I have seen in my shooting with this one. It has truly added another wheel on the wagon.

Comment

Working...
                          X