Property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    Some how I'm not surprised you're ok with high taxes. Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.

Say again why waller co idsd needs a 87 million dollar football stadium? UFB!
    When did I say I'm ok with HIGH taxes? I'm saying I understand the justification of a 3.0% annual property tax with ZERO income tax.
    But I would not be ok with a 3.0% property tax AND a 5.0% income tax.

In Houston, over 1.0% goes to schools alone.
    There are a lot of kids that need teachers in Houston.
    So I think that's ok.
    I like to have LEO around so I'm ok with their portion of that 3.0% too.
    How much of that 3.0% goes to welfare people?
    I'm sure some because HISD provides meals to needy kids outside of school hours
    And I'm not a scrooge so if your kid is so poor that they need to eat the crahpy HISD school food during non school hours I'm going to say "May God bless y'alls hearts" and I hope that the food will provide you the sustenance your kid needs.
    I don't care if daddy blew his paycheck on lottery tickets and momma spent hers on curling irons.
    I'm going to ensure the kids eat first then I'll deal with the parents later.

Besides, how much of my 3.0% went towards providing a packet of instant oatmeal, a half banana and a cup of watered down apple juice to this kid do their stomach won't be growling until noon?

And that football stadium in Waller needs to be supported by outside bonds and should have nothing to do with their property taxes. If it does, wait....How much does it cost to build a stadium these days? 10 million? 20million? Is Wallers current stadium falling apart? Does it have adequate lighting, parking spaces. handicap seating/access? If not then maybe it is time for an upgrade.

I know that border area ISD that put in a Schlitterbahn was wrong for that but hey.

Comment

The problem is those who vote for higher taxes do not pay taxes. They are the majority of voters who receive the most benifit from those tax dollars.

And just how are the bonds paid off, tooth fairy?
      Last edited by Thumper; 01-07-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Somebody has to pay to pay for the free healthcare Ponzi scheme to garnish votes for the Democratic Party.
        !
        Rose above ignorance and use your brain.
        The GOP had control of the house, Senate and POTUS
        They could have rubber stamped Obama care out of existence very easily.
        Why did that NOT happen?
        Is it because the GOP members you voted for are trying to appease the Democratic constituents that did not vote for them?

Again, use your brain.
        Put some thought in this.
        I know you're smarter than this
        I know you are
        I believe in you
        Try harder

Everything else Obama did is easily being undone but his "free healthcare Ponzi scheme" is being left untouched and in tact
        Do you ever ask your elected Republican officials WHHYYYY that is?
        Dems didn't vote to keep it.
        GOP members were the ones that kept it going

Don't try to turn the tables when the stench came from within.

Whoever smelt it dealt it was the rule growing up.

Comment

The problem is those who vote for higher taxes do not pay taxes. They are the majority of voters who receive the most benifit from those tax dollars.

And just how are the bonds paid off, tooth fairy?

You think only folks that work actually vote to increase govt budget items?
          Who voted for the firefighters in Houston to get a better pension which will cost the city more money and raise taxes? Yup. Only those welfare mommas who don't pay taxes while those good ol folks that work in oil and gas who don't want their taxes to be increased voted against the HFD to get their fair share in pension.

I said it earlier that those liberal software engineers in California that make $150k - $300k per year majority voted for Obama and will vote to increase all types of crazy taxes when they relocate to Texas.

Check the dallas area bills on the 2020 ballet. All that biz dev and relocation from California to Las Colinas and Frisco yah buddy, get ready. Thousands of California liberals are coming.

Apple is moving to Austin. There will be a flood of liberal democrats moving there which will disperse more of those liberals to outlying Austin communities.
          Those areas will vote more liberal and become more weird like Austin.
          Folks that work in Cupertino tend to not like hunting and I'm sure have a higher than average vegan population.

Look at what they did to Marfa.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            Or maybe I sound like Adam Smith, Thomas Paine, and Thomas Jefferson, who believed large inheritances fly in the face of capitalist meritocracies.

When massive amounts of familial wealth can be transferred from one generation to next without any taxation, then you have an aristocracy in everything but name. It's for the same reasons the founding fathers abolished primogeniture and titles.

The same justification for every other tax we pay: because the constitution allows for it.

But consider that most people with great enough assets to be subject to an estate tax will have lawyers smart enough avoid paying much in taxes by using all manner of loopholes like Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts. Not to mention, the average estate tax rate (again, this is only for estates over $11 million) is 17%. Forgive me for not weeping for the losses of these inheritors.
            So you are saying the govt deserves the money more than heirs?

Comment

According to the data school tax RATES in Houston and most areas surrounding Houston have DECREASED in the last 5years.

That flies in the face of what most are saying in here.
              I'd like to get my hands on the 1985 - 2015 complete data

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                So you are saying the govt deserves the money more than heirs?
                The same founders that allow us bear arms are the same ones that allowed themselves and future governments to take a chunk of your heirs inheritance in the form of a tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                  More people move in, more services needed, more properties to tax, more tax money. Simple math. Absolutely no reason to raise tax rates themselves.

I don't like it, but understand property value increases, I fight every chance I get to ensure it is correct and fair.
                  Exactly. Never!

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  So if we inherit a house from my father in law when he passes (~$300K), I won’t have to pay an inheritance/death tax on it? I was under the impression I’d have to pay a chunk of change.
                  Go see a lawyer. Estate lawyers don't cost much. Well worth spending $400-$4,000 depending on what you need, to get everything squared away. Then you all have peace of mind.

You may need nothing so the visit may be free. Most give the first 30-60 minutes for free.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                    In Houston, over 1.0% goes to schools alone.
                    There are a lot of kids that need teachers in Houston.
                    So I think that's ok.
                    Uhhhh, maybe Houston isnt the best example for you to keep using.

Have you ever fought your property taxes before?

As lawmakers head into the Texas legislative session this week, tensions have intensified over the future of Houston schools and the threat of a state takeover of the Houston Independent School District due to chronically low-performing schools

Comment

I'm pretty sure to simplify this entire thread...People want a set tax rate. One that's proven our governments can live within (not trying to short change them). That's the same for everyone.

And that set rate needs to stay the same. Period. The people make more (inflation or not) then they collect more taxes. But the % stays the same.

Of course we all know that will never happen because that would stop them from scamming us with more taxes every year and force them to actually use the tax money wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        What is amazing is how many people there are that never realize exactly what you just typed. They just go along with everything and never question anything.
                        To me it even goes deeper than that. Because the business that provide goods and services are also taxed to death. For them to stay in business that cost is passed down to the end user or consumer. So we are being taxed twice essentially.

I bet in the end after the gov has put its tax on everything at every level we get just a tiny fraction of what we earn and work hard for. It is out of hand the amount we pay overall and at all the levels.

And i might get bashed for this there should not be any non profit. To me there is no such thing. Church needs to pay their share. Everyone that works for a non profit is doing it for money and not for free. The "nonprofit" is in actuality making profits. They might be doing good things while making that profit. But they are making profit and some people make a killing

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          To me it even goes deeper than that. Because the business that provide goods and services are also taxed to death. For them to stay in business that cost is passed down to the end user or consumer. So we are being taxed twice essentially.

I bet in the end after the gov has put its tax on everything at every level we get just a tiny fraction of what we earn and work hard for. It is out of hand the amount we pay overall and at all the levels.

And i might get bashed for this there should not be any non profit. To me there is no such thing. Church needs to pay their share. Everyone that works for a non profit is doing it for money and not for free. The "nonprofit" is in actuality making profits. They might be doing good things while making that profit. But they are making profit and some people make a killing
                          Oh I agree completely.....and let's not forget all of those taxes that are now called fees instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

Very true. Democrats say they want to raise corporate taxes through the roof. When Walmart gets its taxes raised, do corporations just take less profit or do those taxes just come out of the CEO's paycheck?? NO, they just pass those higher taxes onto the consumer....the same lemmings cheering for higher corporate taxes. It would be nice if folks would just think a little

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Rose above ignorance and use your brain.
                              The GOP had control of the house, Senate and POTUS
                              They could have rubber stamped Obama care out of existence very easily.
                              Why did that NOT happen?
                              Is it because the GOP members you voted for are trying to appease the Democratic constituents that did not vote for them?....................

.........Don't try to turn the tables when the stench came from within.

Whoever smelt it dealt it was the rule growing up.
                              You've been caught wearing your partisan hat, so you take it off, and then put your Dunce hat on.....lol

Telling us the GOP and Trump own obamacare only because they couldn't break your party's filibuster is really stupid and outright lying.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                                Uhhhh, maybe Houston isnt the best example for you to keep using.

Have you ever fought your property taxes before?

As lawmakers head into the Texas legislative session this week, tensions have intensified over the future of Houston schools and the threat of a state takeover of the Houston Independent School District due to chronically low-performing schools
                                Houston is well on the road to becoming the next Chicago.

Comment

Working...
                                X