First deer down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First deer down

I've been involved in archery for a while, but not hunting. This summer, I made an ilf riser and slapped some limbs on it and glued up some arrows with zwickey no mercys and today, I made the trip up to a friend's ranch. Nobody there hunts with a recurve, so we made do with a ground blind. At first light, a few does walked out into a small clearing about 25 yards away from me. A short while later, a spike sauntered in. My friend told me to shoot it, but the blind was a little too low for me to be comfortable, so I slowly made the move out the back of the blind. After ten minutes of waiting for the shot, I began moving in on the buck. Whenever he had his head down, I walked a few steps closer. At 18 yards, I pulled my bow up, shaking like a leaf, but I locked in at full draw and I knew the arrow was going where I looked. I took the shot, the buck twisted off, and my friend pumped his fist from inside the blind. We thought it was a heart shot, but decided to give it some time. After a bit of a tracking job, we found the buck down about 100 yards from the shot. It turned out that, while I had thought the buck was quartering away because of the head angle and low light, he was actually quartering towards me slightly, so the shot ended up penetrating the liver and sticking out two feet the other side. I also got very bloody skinning and quartering my first deer. Mom's gonna be mad.

Congrats.

Comment

Sweet! Congratulations.

Gary

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

nice - congrats!

Comment

Congrats on your first! Any pics?

Comment

Congrats on the first one, keep focused and keep going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Awesome, Congratulations

Comment

Congratulations!!

Comment

Nice work getting your first one the hard way. Big congrats!

Comment

That is just awesome!!!!

Congrats on your first!

Bisch

P.S. - Please post your pic in the 2019 Trad Harvest Thread also!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Blood washes off and your mom will still love you even if you got a little bloody. Congrats on the deer. I think that it is pretty awesome that you built the riser.

Comment

That is a heck of a story. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X