GPS Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Recommendation

Looking for opinions on a first purchase handheld GPS mainly used for hiking and hunting. Any input would be greatly appreicated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Check out the Garmin 64S. Great color screen easy to use. You can get a hunt onX maps chip for it to see property boundaries as well.

Comment

If your not opposed to just using your phone the Gaia GPS app has worked good for me. I used it in Colorado last month for 11 days, no cell service the whole time, and just had my phone on airplane mode. I'd charge it in the truck at night but it never got below 75-80 percent battery life on airplane mode anyway.

Comment

I have a Garmin Etrex legend C, (C stands for color) been using it for about 15 to 20 years. See them on ebay for about $30. If your going to be hunting with friend where there is no cell phone service you need to get the Garmin inreach. It lets you text between your friends. Also you can trigger an SOS to the 24/7 monitoring center, text back and forth about the nature of your emergency, and receive confirmation when help is on the way but that cost a monthly fee.
        Last edited by Bassdeer; 10-19-2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I have a Garmin 62s that has been going strong for 7 years. Bought it used on the bay. I'm eyeing the Oregon now. I like mine to be able to do on and off road. No need for the picture features in my opinion. Battery life is very important!

Comment

Been thinking about getting inReach (mostly because of good battery performance and good reviews), though I heard that their messaging won't work in average hiking conditions if you're out of range and their plans are not cheap. So I was looking for alternatives and found out that recent SpotX have similar capabilities, but battery life is much better and it doesn't require to be paired with phone (still it shares similar problems with coverage). Also it's cheaper.
            But has anybody tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gobblerslayer View Post
              Looking for opinions on a first purchase handheld GPS mainly used for hiking and hunting. Any input would be greatly appreicated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've been using Onx on my phone the past 2 years and havnt looked back but I have a brand new Gramin 64ST. I'd make a deal on that if u want to go that route.

Comment

Working...
              X