golf cart battery terminal corrosion build up negative side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golf cart battery terminal corrosion build up negative side

While making sure everything is nice and tight on the batteries I noticed a few of the negative terminals with build up of corrosion. I cleaned them all and used terminal battery spray.

Doing my routine check again and the build up is back. Cleaned them all again and treated them with the terminal spray.

Why does this keep happening?

Anybody?

Comment

Humidity/temp change is my guess. Happens time to time on my lawnmower in the garage.

I scrub it with a wire brush then put oil on it. Does the job for the most part

Comment

Battery gases coming from the vent hole in the battery is causing the corrosion. A low or over charged battery will vent more gas. Check the fluid level in the battery and keep it fully charged.

Comment

I don't have an answer, but we had something similar with a cart (with whatever batteries we could get at Sam's). It was used in our storage facility and we tried to keep the terminals clean, etc. However, about every three years, I'd have to replace some cables because the corrosion had eaten through them.
          We haven't had any similar problems with our new (to us) cart with Trojan batteries.

Comment

try using a perko type cutoff switch when not in use.. also dont leave it plugged in it will keep cycling and the charge vents gasses that are corrosive
            just charge it fully and unplug

Comment

I clean all my post and terminals and then grease them good. Never have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Man View Post
                Battery gases coming from the vent hole in the battery is causing the corrosion. A low or over charged battery will vent more gas. Check the fluid level in the battery and keep it fully charged.
                I did not know this. but it makes sense. When my battery was dead for some reason this seemed to be common.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                  I clean all my post and terminals and then grease them good. Never have any problems.
                  Grease works better than the battery spray can stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Man View Post
                    This, check the fluid level. It's a pain but do it every month. Charger should shut off when fully charged.

Comment

I always put red bearing grease on mine, smeared around terminal before I put it on and around all the connectors. Seems to help

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I fully charge it and unplug it. I will double check the fluids again to make sure the batteries are full.

Comment

how do you check the fluid in a small mower battery?

Comment

When cleaning the batteries use a mixture of baking soda and distilled water. Remove the connectors from the batteries or some of the corrosion will be trapped inside. After cleaning wash thourlly with water let dry ( I use a heat gun ) reassemble then treat with a corrosion inhibitor.

I cannot remember the soda to water ratio but it can be found online.

Comment

Would it help to open up the battery compartment to vent the fumes? . .

Comment

Working...
                              X