Air Conditioner replacement advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioner replacement advice

I posted the other day looking for someone to replace our AC. I took the advice and had a few guys come by and check it out.

We have a 2800 sq foot two story in Mckinney. Currently have 2 units that are both about 18 years old. One is done and needs replaced. The other is probably not too far behind. We don't know much about HVAC but have done out internet research for what it is worth. We kinda had an idea about what we were looking.

One of the guys that came out threw out an idea that hadn't even crossed our mind. Firstly he suggested we didn't need the size that one of the others recommended. What he really suggested we do was go to one 5 ton unit and install a damper system, 2 zoned, 2 thermostats. This has really thrown my wife.

To me the pros are savings overall for the complete system. No longer double the maintenance. With this size it would be variable speeds which sounds appealing to me. It would also result in a savings in our energy bill.

I have exhaustively tried to research and look for advice. There are a lot that say two is better but when I dig deeper, those that say that don't have a zoned system or did not have it properly installed and configured. Those that say one is the way to go all say it really depends on the install. The guy that quoted this for us was from a recommendation here and I do trust that he would do the proper install.

Now, this is the big con. Only one system means if it goes down we are screwed. Each time one unit has gone down, we move around the house and are ok. This is my wife's big hang up.

Thoughts? Thanks.

How much space upstairs?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      How much space upstairs?
      1070 sq ft.

Comment

My boss had the zone system, said the dampers and controllers always had problems... But that could have been a fluke.

I just replaced one of ours in our house, just a few hundred sq ft bigger. Electric bill dropped $75 /month with the newer more efficient system.

After having a unit down for almost a week in the middle of summer, I'd much rather have 2. It's never a convenient time when one goes down. When it's pushing 100 degrees out and one goes down, it's nice to know I could just sleep upstairs, or bring the kids downstairs...

Comment

If you are two story, you will always be better off with two systems. You can get close if you install a variable speed zoned system. $$$$$
          Of course the best would be two variable speed systems. I would have a hard time going from 2 systems to a single system.
          And yes, you certainly lose your redundancy with one system.

Comment

do you save enough $$ to pay for a hotel when it goes down (& have some left over).

Comment

Leave it as two systems. That is too big of a space to cool upstairs in my opinion with a single unit. I would leave the working unit and try to stretch another 2 or 3 years out of it. After all you would have a brand new unit as a backup as you already suggested.

Comment

He is referring to doing away with 2 single stage units and doing a complete variable speed system with modulating damper system. Any of you have one in your house? Curious how you like the set up.
                Lots of variables when asking for opinions on hvac systems. Most do not have any experience with the complete variable speeds and the 24/7 run times and “maintaining temperature combined with humidity control. If we were talking single stage or even 2 stage unit then yes I would agree with staying with 2 systems. I would not have suggested this set up if it wasn’t a great one for your house. I have installed this exact system for a few Tbh Memebrs so maybe they will respond but it’s a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                  He is referring to doing away with 2 single stage units and doing a complete variable speed system with modulating damper system. Any of you have one in your house? Curious how you like the set up.
                  Lots of variables when asking for opinions on hvac systems. Most do not have any experience with the complete variable speeds and the 24/7 run times and “maintaining temperature combined with humidity control. If we were talking single stage or even 2 stage unit then yes I would agree with staying with 2 systems. I would not have suggested this set up if it wasn’t a great one for your house. I have installed this exact system for a few Tbh Memebrs so maybe they will respond but it’s a good one.

I definitely agree with you. Looking for piece of mind for my wife. The variable system is very appealing and desirable especially factoring in humidity and such.

I am looking for opinions of those that have one and gone from two. Most reviews are not accurate in the set up as what we would have.

2 variable systems seems almost out of reach. That being said I am not cheap and will spend what it takes. I just want to be certain. Luckily it’s not 110 out now.

I planned on calling you tomorrow Richard. Looking for opinions seeing as my wife is really concerned about one going down. In my opinion the savings would translate into a night in a hotel if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you wife's only objection is emergency cooling? Could you just buy a couple of $100 window units and store them in the garage for the emergency?
                    As a bonus, in an extended power outage you will not be able to run either of the big units on a small generator. But you can run a couple of small window units on a small generator.

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                      If you wife's only objection is emergency cooling? Could you just buy a couple of $100 window units and store them in the garage for the emergency?

As a bonus, in an extended power outage you will not be able to run either of the big units on a small generator. But you can run a couple of small window units on a small generator.

Yes, that is her concern. I agree. The money saved could go to an extra unit or night at a hotel. Just looking for more opinions. If my wife has this opinion than so might the people we try to sell the house to in a few years.

Thanks for any opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                        Yes, that is her concern. I agree. The money saved could go to an extra unit or night at a hotel. Just looking for more opinions. If my wife has this opinion than so might the people we try to sell the house to in a few years.

Thanks for any opinion.

No worries. If y’all thinking of selling the house in less then 5 years it may not be a bad idea to just replace with 2 single stage 16 seer units. The variable speed with damper we talked about will make you want to stay there forever!

Comment

Lots of houses only have a single system.

I would not let that be a deciding factor.

Not hard to get service quickly these days.

Richard is a professional. Listen to him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

i was going to send you my friends number (hvac guy) but you had plenty in the other thread. That being said, Ive heard him say many times that he does not recommend damper systems. PM me if you want his into

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                              Lots of houses only have a single system.

I would not let that be a deciding factor.

Not hard to get service quickly these days.

Richard is a professional. Listen to him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                              Thanks Todd! The guys that are in the industry and “do not” recommend variable speed and the modulating damper system are doing so for one simple reason. They do not know how to properly set up zoning percentages and/or the system configuration. They are old school type experts and are about the simple life of come on and blow cold air. Which is completely ok if that’s all you want. But there is better IF you have someone that knows how to design and set up the variable speed systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X