D/FW Trailer Repair Updating Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D/FW Trailer Repair Updating Needed

Well if the stories are true about requiring inspections on trailers I am going to be needing someone to do some fixin' on my small fleet of trailers.

Anyone know of a person or shop that does this type of work other than a retail trailer place?

An individual that does it out of their house or even better if they can travel to my shop would be completely allsome!

I am located in NW Dallas/ Farmers Branch area.

I'll ask Gary our mechanic if he is interested. He's the guy that came with me to look at the trencher.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
      I'll ask Gary our mechanic if he is interested. He's the guy that came with me to look at the trencher.
      That would work?

I could even bring them over to y'alls shop if that works better for him and it is not a problem with the school!

Comment

If that doesn't work out I'm sure I could take care of that for you Todd. I need to get up to date on this inspection junk as well.

Comment

Same here..... I've got a couple work trailers that will need updating and my boat trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by dropem View Post
            If that doesn't work out I'm sure I could take care of that for you Todd. I need to get up to date on this inspection junk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
              Same here..... I've got a couple work trailers that will need updating and my boat trailer.
              There is going to be a metric butt-load (credit to Moser) of trailers that are going to need some attention!

I have a camper at the lease that has not moved in 15 years. I have always just renewed the registration. Will not be able to do that anymore.

Now I just will not renew the registration which is what I should have done all along!

This is going to be a nightmare for a couple of years!

Comment

We don't even register our travel trailer. If we, on the rare occasion (once every few years), need to bring it home and back, we just use one trip permits... No inspection required for those.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                  There is going to be a metric butt-load (credit to Moser) of trailers that are going to need some attention!

I have a camper at the lease that has not moved in 15 years. I have always just renewed the registration. Will not be able to do that anymore.

Now I just will not renew the registration which is what I should have done all along!

This is going to be a nightmare for a couple of years!
                  Same,

We have a 5x8, double jet ski trailer, and jon boat trailer that I renew every year for no good reason. They haven't left the neighborhood at the lakehouse in at least 5-6 years. I'm not going through the hassle for those.

Comment

what all type of work do you guys need done on these trailers. i am an ag teacher and i build trailers on the side and repair some when needed. if you can let me know what yall need me and my brother might be able to help a brotha out.

Comment

What do you need done to them Todd? I have a shop at the new house and am always looking for more ways to make some extra cash. Shoot me a text if you dont want to list it out here. I should have the shop cleaned out enough to work in within the next week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
                        Same,

We have a 5x8, double jet ski trailer, and jon boat trailer that I renew every year for no good reason. They haven't left the neighborhood at the lakehouse in at least 5-6 years. I'm not going through the hassle for those.
                        If they're not rated at more than 4500lbs my understanding is that you dont have to have them inspected. most 5x8/5x10 should be around 3500lb

Comment

Mostly lights and wiring

I'll start spitballing:

License plate holders and light. I have a couple of trailers that have the license plates screwed to the wood tailgate that will need to be permanently mounted somewhere with a light.

Brake axles: several trailers that are going to need a brake axle swapped out to a non brake axle and add wiring and plug for such

reflective tape? Whatever is needed for inspections

May need to ad some side lights but not sure on the requirements.

Basically I would bring you a trailer and have you make it where it would pass an inspection.

There are some other reapirs that you could do such as replacing 2x decking, repair/replace fenders, swap out new tongue jacks and hitches, lengthen trailer tongues, build a set of storable ramps for a dump trailer I bought second hand that are missing from their slide in holders under the trailer.

Who knows what else will come up!

Athens is a fur piece from me but not out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                            If they're not rated at more than 4500lbs my understanding is that you dont have to have them inspected. most 5x8/5x10 should be around 3500lb
                            The way I've read it and I could be wrong is that every trailer is supposed to have an inspection. If it's over 4500 part of the inspection is functional brakes. I've been wrong before and I'm sure like anything this can be open to interpretation of the person: Signing off on your registration, signing off on your inspection, or writing you a big ol ticket.

Edit: Looks like you are correct....

ยง 548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. This
                            chapter does not apply to:
                            3) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile
                            home having an actual gross weight or registered gross weight of
                            4,500 pounds or less;
                            Last edited by TreyRo; 03-06-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Did you find someone to work on your trailers so they will pass inspection? I am seriously considering doing this as a business.

Comment

Working...
                              X