Laguna Atascosa 2014/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
    Gonna make my reservations later today. One more question though, can you throw out some corn?
    No baiting is allowed , you cannot even have corn in your possession you can be sighted , however attractant's can be used sprays or liquid are allowed

Comment

Just spoke with the refuge and they told me that they are going to continue with the paper system (no-online) they are going to update the website over the weekend.
      i smell a road trip.

Comment

i hear hagerman is moving away from kinsail next year, messing up the preference points i think.

Comment

Just a reminder. You can set up your blinds/tripods/stands the day before your hunt starts. But... last year I saw game warden issuing warnings or tickets to several hunters the day before the hunt because they had their bows with them. No bows until actual hunting days.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            Just a reminder. You can set up your blinds/tripods/stands the day before your hunt starts. But... last year I saw game warden issuing warnings or tickets to several hunters the day before the hunt because they had their bows with them. No bows until actual hunting days.
            So you can set up your ground blind the day before - have y'all ever had anyone mess with your blind?

Also, as mentioned above - no corn - but cover scents or attractants are allowed?

Not trying to be dense.

Comment

So you can set up your ground blind the day before - have y'all ever had anyone mess with your blind?

Also, as mentioned above - no corn - but cover scents or attractants are allowed?

Not trying to be dense.
              Hasn't happened to me, but have had a few friends who have showed up to their blind and found the chair inside gone an even one friend who showed up and found someone inside their blind. Let me save you a huge headache and tell you right now, don't set up close to any road.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                Hasn't happened to me, but have had a few friends who have showed up to their blind and found the chair inside gone an even one friend who showed up and found someone inside their blind. Let me save you a huge headache and tell you right now, don't set up close to any road.
                How far off the road is safe? half mile? One mile? Two miles? Your friend that had someone camped out in their blind - did that person vacate the blind?
                Thanks

Comment

Posted today on their Facebook Page

Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge
                  2 mins ·

Public Hunt Update - Applications and permits for this year's hunts will NOT be on-line. Archery permits will be for sale ($80) at the refuge office on a first-come, first-served basis, Monday - Friday, August 1 - 29, or until all 800 permits are sold. Hunters may also mail in applications with their fee, postmarked during August. Firearm hunt applications will be accepted (in person or mail in only) during the month of August for a random drawing in September . Applications and regulations will be available on the refuge's website, and at the Visitor Center on July 26.
                  Visit http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_Ata...s/hunting.html
                  LikeLike · · Share

Comment

Yep it's on their face book page also!0

Comment

How far off the road is safe? half mile? One mile? Two miles? Your friend that had someone camped out in their blind - did that person vacate the blind?
                      Thanks
                      The farther you can physically make it in the better but just remember you have to drag out what u shoot. Also, since more people traffic will be on roads, animals will get pushed back into the deep thicker brush but some of that is near impossible to get into. I tried one year to get into a really thick patch and came out of it with my orange vest gone lol. That being said, I have hunted right off the roads and shot a doe and seen plenty of animals but was way back into the refuge, never saw a soul out there.

On the guy on the tripod, he saw my buddy coming and booked it before he got to him.

Comment

The Refuge got some rain yesterday, not sure how much but there were puddles of water standing in the roads, and almost every one of those small puddles was covered in deer tracks. Saw several deer, a Chacalaca, and lots of mesquite beans and rabbits. Rabbits let me walk past them while they were drinking out of the puddles, Rattlesnakes will be well fed. Didn't see any standing water other than Laguna Atascosa, there were no mosquitoes between 0900hrs-11:30hrs today.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fellas. What kind of roads are the refuge made of? Meaning, are they paved, dirt, sand, gravel? I'm curious if four-wheel drive is necessary.
                          -Mitch

Comment

Fellas. What kind of roads are the refuge made of? Meaning, are they paved, dirt, sand, gravel? I'm curious if four-wheel drive is necessary.
                            -Mitch
                            Mitch, hunting access is by foot or bicycle, no motorized vehicles.

I went back yesterday evening and checked a couple of trails crossings where I saw deer that morning and it looked like deer were active all day drinking the fresh rain water out of the puddles. Saw several fresh sets of bobcat tracks over my tracks too.

Comment

Is there any standing fresh water on the refuge?

Comment

How, so it's a hoof it proposition Are there bike roads?

Comment

Working...
                                X