Trager wood pellet and smoking a brisket help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trager wood pellet and smoking a brisket help

Anyone have experience with one of these? I purchased one a couple of mths ago and have had somewhat mixed results when smoking a brisket. I will be the first one to tell you that I am pretty much a novice when it comes to briskets but I still like trying. Last night I put a 14.5 lbs. brisket on the smoker at 11:30 Pm thinking at 225 degrees (14.5 lbs x 45-1hr per lbs) I should be good to go with an internal temp 0f 190 around 11- 12:00 today, pull it off the smoker and let it sit for a while and be eating btwn 1:30 - 2:30. When I checked my internal temp at 8:30 AM this morning it had already reached 190... Real long story short it just seems like I am reaching an internal temp of 190 way to quickly as the last couple of briskets I have done are a little more dry and tougher than I would like. I know logic would say turn my temp down a little but 225 is already on the low side right? Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated...

what type of brisket? choice, select, 44 farms??

Comment

I have an after market control and a smoke daddy added to mine. But I smoke ( 185*)!for about 3-4 hours. Then I will turn the temp. Up to 225 and just keep track of internal temp. And turn heat up slightly or down as needed. The thing is here, cooking in 90 degree weather one day, next time ( like today) 30 degrees and snowing. So it's hard to " time" it just right. I try and get them done before , needed, and if I have to , just heat back up Pryor to serving.

Comment

I have great luck with mine since I got it 4 years ago and does a great job on brisket.

Here is my process:

Rub brisket and let sit in refrigerator overnight or for 12 hours or so. I then use the smoke feature and smoke for 4 hours. After the 4 hour smoke I wrap in foil and insert a Maverick temp probe, turn up to 225. Take off and let rest when internal temp reaches 205. Usually takes 10 hours or so depending on size.

There is probably better ways to do it but this process has never let me down!

Comment

Thank you for all the responses. I will sound like an even bigger novice when I say I can't remember exactly the cut of meat... Yesterdays was HEB, untrimmed choice I believe. Again, thank you, all the tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Comment

Get a temp probe to pace on the grate beside the meat. I have heard that the actual grate temp can vary a good bit from the actual set temperature. My family got me a FireBoard for father’s day that is awesome but a cheaper one from academy would work just as well without WiFi and all the bells and whistles.

Jason

Comment

I have a pit boss that is the Academy knock off of a Traeger and I love it. The most important thing is meat choice, how you trim it and the prep and temp of the meat before you start the smoking process. There are several good videos on YouTube that’ll teach you the proper way to trim the brisket and how to prep it. I would never buy a regular packers brisket as the quality sucks.. spend the extra couple bucks and get a prime brisket.

Comment

I’ve noticed food cooks faster. I smoke at 200 on my traeger timberline smoker. Food comes out perfect and juicy. It takes me about 45 per pound that way.

Comment

225 and wrap at 170 and back on till 200- 203 then rest in an ice chest wrapped in a towel for an hour+ till your ready to slice

Comment

great info everyone... many thx

Comment

Don’t be afraid to take the internal temp on up past 200 in the middle of the flat, probe for tenderness rather than go off temp alone and make sure like said above to let rest for at least an hr! No experience with pellet grills but I would assume they cook more efficient and would run a shorter cook time than a traditional off set. Good luck on your next one and keep at it, it takes time to get your method down but once you do you will feel accomplished! Also, I use butcher paper to wrap after the 165-170 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatcutter View Post
                        what type of brisket? choice, select, 44 farms??
                        This^^^^^ it varies for me as well. An HEB select brisket will take me 15-16 hours, while a certified angus brisket will usually take 12 hours. All depends on the grade.

Comment

Working...
                        X