No announcement yet.

Intermittent fasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the diet you choose entails losing weight by starving your body so it uses its reserves, your body thinks it is actually starving and tries to replenish those reserves when it finds an abundance of fat again.

Once your body creates a fat storage cell, it never loses it. Your body may use up its contents but that storage cell will always be there for your body to utilize it. Eating right and slowly using up your body’s reserves will make it easier to keep the weight off for long term. If you starve yourself and lose a bunch of weight real quick, your body is going to try to regain what it lost and you will regain that weight a lot easier.

This is why there are so many “diet fads” that come and go. Folks lose a bunch of weight so it catches on with everyone, then they stop and everyone gains the weight back so that “diet” doesn’t work and folks move to the next one.

Comment

If you want to lose a lot of your lean muscle mass, this is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        If the diet you choose entails losing weight by starving your body so it uses its reserves, your body thinks it is actually starving and tries to replenish those reserves when it finds an abundance of fat again.

Once your body creates a fat storage cell, it never loses it. Your body may use up its contents but that storage cell will always be there for your body to utilize it. Eating right and slowly using up your body’s reserves will make it easier to keep the weight off for long term. If you starve yourself and lose a bunch of weight real quick, your body is going to try to regain what it lost and you will regain that weight a lot easier.

This is why there are so many “diet fads” that come and go. Folks lose a bunch of weight so it catches on with everyone, then they stop and everyone gains the weight back so that “diet” doesn’t work and folks move to the next one.

That's not entirely true. Fasting does not mean starving yourself. The concept entails eating the daily caloric intake, only not consuming them all day every couple of hours. The human metabolic system hasn't evolved to consume 300-500 calories every 2-3 hours except for high caloric expenditure. Think athletes and manual labor over long periods. Most of us won't overcome that caloric surplus within that 2-3 hour window and that's when fat cells get created.
        The other part of intermittent fasting is consuming the right kind of calories. There's some really eye opening anecdotal evidence that proves your point wrong. Nothing personal. That type of thinking and how we've been taught to eat is what's causing pre-metabolic syndrome and adult onset diabetes. I've been able to keep the 30 pounds off and have improved lipid and hormone levels since I've switched up.
        And I've been eating like an idiot in spurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Fasting" being >12 straight hours without food-- yes, I shoot for that. I don't get it all the time, but I don't really have weight to lose... it's just about health and taking care of my body. I generally eat small quantities more frequently for those hours that I am eating. Meals are small and broken up more into snacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
            If you want to lose a lot of your lean muscle mass, this is the way to go.

This is true if the type of calories consumed aren't correct. We can agree that Georges St. Pierre is not hurting for lean muscle mass. He's been using the intermittent fasting for some time now to help his digestive issues and has gained muscle and strength in the process.

Comment

a lot of misinformation on here. I - as well - eat "Keto" and do IF (16/8). I am about 12% body fat; don't get hungry; am stronger and healthier than I have been in years and have boundless energy. I started eating Keto to get rid of my high blood pressure and it worked. may not work for everyone...but it worked for me. I then started IF. Again, worked for me. I workout every day during the week and do a combo of high intensity interval training (HIIT) and lifting. Basically, I am in and out of the gym in about 30-40 minutes. My goal is health and long term mobility. 36 years in the Army (retired a couple of years ago) and I am healthier than I have been in a long time. Bloodwork is back to where it was when I was a young Special Forces troop running like a madman. My lean muscle mass has actually increased as my insulin response has gotten better; systemic inflammation has decreased and blood pressure is ideal. Got a bit scared when switching to keto as my cholesterol spiked for a bit (5 months); got to stick to it so your body self-regulates and gets used to the influx of good fats.

Comment

I know one thing I'm losing weight at a rapid pace right now this long distance bow blind is hot.

Comment

Nice @JimPat! My body doesn’t have the wear on it from the service but the years of abuse from playing ball for 23 years is showing up now. Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m a staunch believer in this eating habit and advocate for it when I can. Everything you said is true for me as well.

Comment

You can do whatever diet you want , BUT can you stay on it forever?
                    A few years ago I started out at 212 pounds and cut out all sodas, most sugar and no fried foods and watched my portions, plus started working out about 4 to 5 times per week and got down to 167 pounds without much problem. Did I stay that way no, but i stopped working out and did not atch what I ate, BUT I could ro it again and it is domething I could do forever if I could get my mind right and start again. To me a lot of diets are dangerous and very few can stay on them. i do not consider what I did a diet, just cut out fried foods, sodas and watched what I ate snd my portions.

Comment

Exactly right @Mudslinger. It’s habit and discipline that are key to success and long term results.

Comment

Having written several research papers on it, and read close to 100 peer reviewed journal articles I will add this. It can be an effective way to lose body fat and maintain lean body mass at the expense of your anabolic hormones such as Test, IGF-1. Your anabolic hormones will drop. The most compliant of all the IF protocols (and there are many) is the Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) where you fast every other day.

Problem with it, is if you drink anything other than water during your fasting period, you break the fast. No coffee, tea, diet sodas...NOTHING but water or you break into feeding mode. Most people break their fast without even thinking about it with fluids.

During an extended fast like 24hr plus, your body goes into an healing phase and begins to remove and rebuild damaged cells according to some evidence.
                        Last edited by .270; 10-13-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Intermittent fasting?

I do that twice a day between meals

Comment

I did it earlier this year and lost ~42#.

I worked my way up to it though. Started with taking food with me to work and doing portion control. I put raw veggies and fruit in snack-size ziplocks so portion was small by default. Also found those P3 Portable snack packs with Meat cubes, cheese cubes, and some nuts. Got me ready for the Keto I added later on with fats and proteins and low carbs. I did these small meals/snacks for a month or so which was way less caloric intake than I did prior and it helped when I started to Intermittent Fasting.

I went pretty hardcore. Did a 3-day cleanse first with liquid drinks 5 times a day (Squeezed Cleanse). Then started the IF. I would not eat past 7pm the night before, wake up and only drink coffee and water until about 12-1pm and it was a light healthy meal, followed by snacks I mentioned above, and a light dinner around 630p. My calorie intake wasn't too much. I even did some 24hr Fasts. It was tough at first but once my body got used to it I would actually have energy and not get hungry. The weight and body fat started melting off and I just felt overall a lot better. I also had motivation from the TBH Weight Loss Competition in which I placed 2nd. I stopped the hardcore IF, but still don't eat breakfast anymore and it helps maintain my weight and I don't eat quite as healthy but keep my weight down I think because my calories are still lower since missing breakfast and sticking to water most all day.

I also use a new supplement that has helped with weight loss and keeps me lean and recovering quickly from workouts. It's been really good!

Comment

I have done it and works it’s just you better eat enough while in your eating window. I found that I would end up under eating and every couple weeks I would get sore and stay sore with hardly any energy. This is what I feel is my metabolism slowing down trying get normal with the little calories I was eating. Start eating loads and loads of food for a couple days be right back to normal. But I feel very sharp while fasting in the mornings, I just feel I get a better energy filled workout eating small meals through out the day.

Comment

Loosing weight is easy. Burn off more calories than you take in with good eating habits and some workouts and you will loose weight. Very simple process and not dangerous as some of the diets.

Comment

Working...
                                X