Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
allenshawn1
Six Point
 
allenshawn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Default Lease with goats on land???

Looked at a lease in central Texas today that had goats on it.
think I will pass any experience with goats on your lease?
allenshawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
ByronB
Ten Point
 
ByronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenshawn1 View Post
Looked at a lease in central Texas today that had goats on it.
think I will pass any experience with goats on your lease?
Hog panel will keep them out. However, some of them will stick their heads through the panel and get stuck. I have seen it happen on two occasions when I hunted in Ozona one season.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

Those ain't goats......them are Mexican whitetails! They eat good.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
slicktricker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Plano tx
Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land
Default

Had them on a family place in Ozona. We had no feeders or blinds on the place so didn't have to worry about them much. Just part of west texas ranching.Tons of wildlife on that place.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Hog panel will keep them out. However, some of them will stick their heads through the panel and get stuck. I have seen it happen on two occasions when I hunted in Ozona one season.
Use goat panels not cattle panels. Or put chicken wire around the cattle panels and itís fine
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
ByronB
Ten Point
 
ByronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Use goat panels not cattle panels. Or put chicken wire around the cattle panels and itís fine
Oops.....yep, meant that. The smaller the holes the better.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Oops.....yep, meant that. The smaller the holes the better.
I use chicken wire and cattle panels. Goat panels are pretty dang expensive.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Just part of hunting. Not as bad as cows or horses as they're easier to keep out imo.

Typically a good sheep or goat operation will wipe out all yotes. That's good for your fawn crop, no fun if you like to hunt yotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Hoss163
Ten Point
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

If it’s in a high population of deer it really will not hurt anything because you will see deer i have hunted on two different places that had goats they are noisy dudes and Yes they are a pain but so are cows and almost anywhere you hunt will have cows on it !!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #10
FireNguns
Ten Point
 
FireNguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lindsay/Gainesville
Hunt In: Cooke County
Default

I had a place by Jacksboro that was awesome for several years. Then old man owner put a bunch of sheep/goat on there and.... poof! No more deer!!
We went from 10-15 deer per sit to maybe 1-2 per couple sits.
Stupid things are loud and stink. They crap everywhere and eat all the food the deer want.
I will never lease a place with sheep or goats again. We gave a 3 seasons with the goats and it never produced good again so we left.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

We have had a smaller herd for the 10 years I've been on our place. I hate the 2-3 bottle fed rescues (on average/year) we have around the outside of the camp fence because they are a PITA. Mostly just annoying, trying to sneak in our gate when its open, crap on the front porch or jumping on our flatbed trailer and making racket. It's always a great day when those particular ones go to the sale barn.

But, in general, we have very few problems with the herd we have while hunting since we all have good pens. I have had them walk through 6-8 times in those 10 years but the deer really don't pay them any attention. We see them on TC occasionally as well passing through outside the pens and I have TC pics of deer in my pen with a few goats outside the pen looking in. In fact, I had a goat scratch on my blind before I killed my big browtine buck this year.

My LO is primarily a cattle farmer so we've probably had more deer scared through the years when cows walk through than the goats. Although when the deer are hungry and food supplies are lower, like in the winter, they don't care about anything that doesn't jump in the pen with them.

Would I rather they not be there? Sure...But I understand the cows and goats are just part of my landowner's income so we deal with them. Those Californian Mexicans pay good money for those stinking vermin according to my LO.....We do pretty well so other than the bottle fed turds, it's no big deal...

Last edited by Smart; 06-16-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #12
allenshawn1
Six Point
 
allenshawn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Default

If anyone is interested in a 3 person lease in gatesville 160 acre with electric, let me know. I think he pulled from craigs list, but think it's still available. $1500 a gun. Just looks over grazed and leasors rotate out every year.
allenshawn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
88 Bound
Ten Point
 
88 Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
We have had a smaller herd for the 10 years I've been on our place. I hate the 2-3 bottle fed rescues (on average/year) we have around the outside of the camp fence because they are a PITA. Mostly just annoying, trying to sneak in our gate when its open, crap on the front porch or jumping on our flatbed trailer and making racket. It's always a great day when those particular ones go to the sale barn.

But, in general, we have very few problems with the herd we have while hunting since we all have good pens. I have had them walk through 6-8 times in those 10 years but the deer really don't pay them any attention. We see them on TC occasionally as well passing through outside the pens and I have TC pics of deer in my pen with a few goats outside the pen looking in. In fact, I had a goat scratch on my blind before I killed my big browtine buck this year.

My LO is primarily a cattle farmer so we've probably had more deer scared through the years when cows walk through than the goats. Although when the deer are hungry and food supplies are lower, like in the winter, they don't care about anything that doesn't jump in the pen with them.

Would I rather they not be there? Sure...But I understand the cows and goats are just part of my landowner's income so we deal with them. Those Californian Mexicans pay good money for those stinking vermin according to my LO.....We do pretty well so other than the bottle fed turds, it's no big deal...
This. If they have been on the place for years you’ll just need to fence them out of the feeders. The deer get used to them just like they get used to cattle, ranchers, etc. Heck, our rancher sees bigger deer than we do hauling arse around the lease in his white dually feeding the cows. Just a part of it.

When we had goats, we would keep a feeder going near camp that didn’t have a pen that they would congregate around. Kept them up front while we deer hunted in back. Worked nicely.

Last edited by 88 Bound; 06-16-2018 at 10:39 PM.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com