Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF and Centerville
Question Travelling with gun IAH (houston)

Has something changed recently with travelling with guns at this (IAH) airport?

I have brought my gun many places out of that airport, with little to no issues. My last few times, i merely placed the card in the gun case, and they sent it along on the conveyor belt.

Yesterday my friend flew out, with a gun and was forced to go through many hoops and the process took almost 3 hours.

Even though he was flying out of terminal C they forced him to go (with, his young son, two coolers, the gun, and a suitcase to terminal B to check in. Then TSA had to come inspect his .243...and of course they swabbed it , which of course tested positive for gunpowder which i am sure many of you know triggered a whole protocol with supervisors etc. when this was finally all done, he had to return to terminal C to catch his flight.(which luckily was delayed)

So has something changed there? I have a hunting trip coming out where i fly out at 5am....and now i am wondering if i should reconsider bringing my gun? With the flight being so early, it's no like i can show up early to allow time as security and ticketing wont be open.

thanks for you help with this decision
Italianxbowuser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

The TSA is beyond terrible, each airport has different rules and yet the same oversight. In Houston you are not made to take everything out of your bags or pockets yet in Louisville you must take everything out. The very nice, over weight TSA lady yelled at me so that I understood Houston rules do not apply in Louisville. I explained to her that Houston had no such rules, she let me know that she did not care what Houston does, in Louisville you empty everything....
I have not herd of anything changing but it seems like it all depends on who you get that particular day.
Best of Luck
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I flew out of IAH Friday with my shotgun. I did have to go from Terminal C to Terminal B back to C. Once there, the process went smoothly. Nowhere close to 3 hours.
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I just want to know where Instant read GSR kits are available at?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
Colton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I just want to know where Instant read GSR kits are available at?

When they checked mine they put the swab in some machine for a few second then told me I was good to go.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
When they checked mine they put the swab in some machine for a few second then told me I was good to go.
Scanning electron microscope maybe?

Gun shot residue consists of lead, antimony and barium which is what gsr looks for.

We have to wait 4-6 months for results on murders but TSA can get it in seconds. That's pure awesomeness

Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Would sure be nice if TSA could hire people with at least a high school education and no criminal background instead of overrated rent a cops.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
jsavoie88
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianxbowuser View Post

I have brought my gun many places out of that airport, with little to no issues. My last few times, i merely placed the card in the gun case, and they sent it along on the conveyor belt.

Yesterday my friend flew out, with a gun and was forced to go through many hoops and the process took almost 3 hours.

Even though he was flying out of terminal C they forced him to go (with, his young son, two coolers, the gun, and a suitcase to terminal B to check in. Then TSA had to come inspect his .243...and of course they swabbed it , which of course tested positive for gunpowder which i am sure many of you know triggered a whole protocol with supervisors etc. when this was finally all done, he had to return to terminal C to catch his flight.(which luckily was delayed)

So has something changed there? I have a hunting trip coming out where i fly out at 5am....and now i am wondering if i should reconsider bringing my gun? With the flight being so early, it's no like i can show up early to allow time as security and ticketing wont be open.

If you’re using an outfitter, I would ship it to them in advance and have them ship it back to you. You could avoid a whole lot of headache that way.
jsavoie88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

T s a employees were probably ****** at Trump for taking out their hero
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
J-5
Four Point

Hunt In: To the wind

Unfortunately this is telling me not to book a hunt for which I am not willing to drive.
J-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
doublearrow
Ten Point

My guess is nothing changed. TSA just doesnt know from one minute to the next what rules they will follow. Everytime I fly with a bow I get different actions from those idiots.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I flew out of IAH Friday with my shotgun. I did have to go from Terminal C to Terminal B back to C. Once there, the process went smoothly. Nowhere close to 3 hours.
sounds like trying to do this with a 5am flight is not going to work
Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
RR 314
Ten Point

Amazing. Swabbing a gun for residue. "Hey, John, let's run the guy through the ringer. This gun has actually been fired before."
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I don't understand swabbing for gsr. Do they not expect a gun to have been fired? And if it has been, so what, isn't that what it is made for?
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by double bogey View Post
I don't understand swabbing for gsr. Do they not expect a gun to have been fired? And if it has been, so what, isn't that what it is made for?
I've had my gun/inside case swabbed more than a few times. After the alarm goes off, and the supervisor shows up, the supervisor always seems to tell the underling that they should have done just a physical check(under padding etc) and NOT swabbed gun or case
Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:

you should call the airline and ask them, you might get better info
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
Colton
Pope & Young

Quote:
sounds like trying to do this with a 5am flight is not going to work
Probably not. I got to the airport at 5:20 am and by the time I got my gun checked and through security it was around 7:30. Made it just in time to board my flight.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

OP, just show up at midnight.

I am travelling with a rifle next week. Usually after the last firing before a hunt I don't clean it, and the case usually sits on the bench next to me. So that should be fun.

I'm planning on being there four hours early. Not taking any chances. Going to print out the rules and everything so I can go through it if necessary. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, just keep a positive tone and give the TSA agent no reason to get pissy.

I am with doublebogey. Everything is going to have GSR on it. At the very least, everything the gun touches, including the padding. What could they possibly be looking for?

Last edited by WItoTX; 10-30-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
OP, just show up at midnight.

I am travelling with a rifle next week. Usually after the last firing before a hunt I don't clean it, and the case usually sits on the bench next to me. So that should be fun.

I'm planning on being there four hours early. Not taking any chances. Going to print out the rules and everything so I can go through it if necessary. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, just keep a positive tone and give the TSA agent no reason to get pissy.

I am with doublebogey. Everything is going to have GSR on it. At the very least, everything the gun touches, including the padding. What could they possibly be looking for?
I have no issue getting there way early, but the problem is that security won't be open at say 3am in the morning. When i have flown early before TSA doesn't arrive/open till 4am...if they are on time
Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
I have no issue getting there way early, but the problem is that security won't be open at say 3am in the morning. When i have flown early before TSA doesn't arrive/open till 4am...if they are on time
Forgive me for not knowing the entire process, but IAH has flights at all hours of the day. How can TSA just not be there?

When I roll up to the ticket counter and hand them my rifle case, I assume the airline checks it then puts it to the side for TSA to inspect. Is this the process or am I missing something?

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #21
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Been 2 years and I fly out next week to Montana- Here was my experience

I was flying United out of IAH- 5am flight
I went to the counter, checked my baggage. Explained my rifle situation
I then followed the agent to the TSA booth area. She got on the radio, someone showed up, inspected my rifle, verified it wasn't loaded. What I did was take to bolt action out. Did not swab it.

My ammo was in the box per rules.

They took my rifle case and we went on our separate ways

We will see how Wednesday goes
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #22
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Forgive me for not knowing the entire process, but IAH has flights at all hours of the day. How can TSA just not be there?

When I roll up to the ticket counter and hand them my rifle case, I assume the airline checks it then puts it to the side for TSA to inspect. Is this the process or am I missing something?

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.
Although the airport is open 24 hours, the ticket counters and security lines are not. In this process that my friend and another poster on this thread described, you have to check your gun at terminal B regardless of what terminal you are flying out of. Looking online terminal B doesn't open until 5am, which obviously wouldn't work in my scenario.

Previously, when i traveled with my gun(which was only last fall) the extra step of going to terminal B was not necessary.

Last edited by Italianxbowuser; 10-30-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Been 2 years and I fly out next week to Montana- Here was my experience

I was flying United out of IAH- 5am flight
I went to the counter, checked my baggage. Explained my rifle situation
I then followed the agent to the TSA booth area. She got on the radio, someone showed up, inspected my rifle, verified it wasn't loaded. What I did was take to bolt action out. Did not swab it.

My ammo was in the box per rules.

They took my rifle case and we went on our separate ways

We will see how Wednesday goes
I am not flying out till the 30th, so if you have any tips after your flight please let me know
Old 10-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #24
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Although the airport is open 24 hours, the ticket counters and security lines are not. In this process that my friend and another poster on this thread described, you have to check your gun at terminal B regardless of what terminal you are flying out of. Looking online terminal B doesn't open until 5am, which obviously wouldn't work in my scenario.

Previously, when i traveled with my gun(which was only last fall) the extra step of going to terminal B was not necessary.
Where did you find the terminal hours? I've looked and don't see anything. I fly out of A next week Thursday with a rifle. Last time we left at 5.30 am, Delta already had people at the counters at 4 am. We showed up at 3.30am.

I'm not doubting you or anything really just trying to make sure I am prepared, as it sounds like you are too.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Where did you find the terminal hours? I've looked and don't see anything. I fly out of A next week Thursday with a rifle. Last time we left at 5.30 am, Delta already had people at the counters at 4 am. We showed up at 3.30am.

I'm not doubting you or anything really just trying to make sure I am prepared, as it sounds like you are too.
Here is the link for TSA/security. American (who i am flying with) opens their ticket counter at 3am....but it's security i am worried about.

https://www.fly2houston.com/iah/tsa-hours/
Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
Clay C
Ten Point

I've only flown with a pistol in my checked bag. As of June it was easy and painless.

Just made me show them it wasn't loaded and put the declarations card in my bag. Easy.

Is it different with a long gun? I've never heard of the swabbing thing.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #27
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Here is the link for TSA/security. American (who i am flying with) opens their ticket counter at 3am....but it's security i am worried about.

https://www.fly2houston.com/iah/tsa-hours/
Thanks. I clicked on every link under security and didn't find that one, the fly2hou site is not intuitive. No idea what day you fly out, but I bet if it's a weekday, you have better odds they will check your rifle (If necessary) at your check in gate.

I am in your same boat, just fly out at 7.30 next Thursday from terminal A. Good luck!

And thank you beargrass, that is really helpful. I am hunting near the Conner area in MT, where are you going?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #28
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I've only flown with a pistol in my checked bag. As of June it was easy and painless.

Just made me show them it wasn't loaded and put the declarations card in my bag. Easy.

Is it different with a long gun? I've never heard of the swabbing thing.
Your experience with a pistol has always been how its been for me in the past at IAH. The swabbing and other nonsense was things i have experienced at airports in other states. At LaGuardia in New York, i had to be escorted from the ticket counter to TSA bag screening by two policemen! I have always bragged how simple the process is here in Houston, which is why i was so surprised to hear what my friend and other poster went through.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
WItoTX
Ten Point

So I just travelled with my rifle on delta today out of iah. I checked in at terminal A for a flight at 6.30 am. Delta opened at 4.30 am, I was first in line, and got my rifle cleared, and myself through security by 5.15 am. Not sure if OP's story was a one off, but it could not have been easier to check my rifle.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #30
Blank
Six Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Routinely fly in and out of both IAH and Hobby with firearms on hunts, and have had no problems. They verify its unloaded, place the card, and seal and lock it up.

As for the swabs, that is not GSR they sample for. The major manufacturer is Smith Detection, and they produce the IonScan 400/500/600 models. We use them all the time and at any entry point to a complex. Samples for every explosive and now most of the illegal narcotics. 8 second read outs.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #31
Abu_dude
Ten Point

I've been traveling for years with my Turkey gun (Shotgun). I've never had an issue outside of one trip where they put my gun case on the checked luggage belt in bag claim....that was an experience!
Abu_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
Nate Riley
Ten Point

No personal experience, but on a recent Meateater podcast, Steve and the boys go over how to travel with a gun. It seemed like a process, but a straight forward one. Also, seems like if you do one thing wrong it won’t go as smoothly.

A couple of the things I recall were 1) ammo needs to be packed separately in a box intended for ammo (they suggest the box it comes in) and 2) have a TSA lock of every place the case can lock (they suggest buying a case with only a couple of locking points)
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #33
pervis
Ten Point

U need to be packing a loaded gun any time you travel to IAH.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #34
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Not quite the same thing but I flew out of DFW a couple of months ago heading to Dayton OH. with my Glock. Nice lady asked where it was and if it was loaded. I told her in a locked box in my suitcase and the ammo was in a separate original box in same suit case. She had me get the case out and unlock pistol case and show her it was unloaded and all mags were unloaded. Taped the card on the box, had me lock it back and all was well. Had to show ID in Dayton to pick up my suitcase but easy peasy. Exact same scenario coming back. Was easy and I was armed on my stay in OH.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #35
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Just do carry on
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #36
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I have flown multiple times with a handgun in a checked bag. The process is pretty standard and I have flown into Albuquerque, Austin, Hobby, DC, LAX and LAS and CLL. With no problems. I always have my LEO creds with me but have never shown them even when flying into the peoples republic of California.

Only once did I have to show ID to pick up my bag. It is kind of scary that anyone could grab my bag with my gun in it and walk off. I always use the smallest firearm case I can fit the gun in and cover it in clothes after check in so that a nosy baggage handler will have to "work" to find it.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #37
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Quote:
So I just travelled with my rifle on delta today out of iah. I checked in at terminal A for a flight at 6.30 am. Delta opened at 4.30 am, I was first in line, and got my rifle cleared, and myself through security by 5.15 am. Not sure if OP's story was a one off, but it could not have been easier to check my rifle.
Thanks for following back up. Do you remember which terminal you flew out of? My concern was having to do the back and forth with terminal B that my friend experienced and Colton (above)in this thread said he experienced too.

I flown many times with my gun from IAh...i just never heard of having to go terminal B to check in with a gun even though you are flying out of a different terminal
Old 11-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #38
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I no longer fly with guns. Going back and forth from Texas to NY has made a few memorable flights with TSA and NY/ NJ Port Authority. I think if the baggage handlers know it is a gun case, they intentionally treat it rough. I bought a new SKB rifle case. When I picked it up after my flight, it looked like I bought it used and scratched with a broken plastic foot. Luckily, scope and rifle were still dead on. No more. I leave guns in Texas and NY that drove to their locations.
Good luck and safe travels.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top