Kitchen Cabinet Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Cabinet Wood

My wife wants white shaker style kitchen cabinets in our DIY barndo. I wanted something hard that would take a paint finish and went with Maple.
    It's easy to work with and sands well but a little pricey. I have used some that have nice figure which will ultimately be painted.

While building some drawer boxes yesterday I came across this and decided to save some of it for future projects.

OMG what fabulous looking figure --- DO NOT PUT PAINT ON THAT!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
      OMG what fabulous looking figure --- DO NOT PUT PAINT ON THAT!!
      Agree. Let a clear finish/sealer allow that beauty to show itself off.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

As others have said, please dont paint that material!

Comment

You don’t say where you are located. I use poplar for face frames on painted cabinets. Straight trained and easy to work. Less expensive than maple. I find it’s cheaper to
          buy doors and drawer fronts than to try to make them myself. I have some suppliers in the Houston area if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
            You don’t say where you are located. I use poplar for face frames on painted cabinets. Straight trained and easy to work. Less expensive than maple. I find it’s cheaper to
            buy doors and drawer fronts than to try to make them myself. I have some suppliers in the Houston area if you are interested.
            I am a true do it yourselfer. This is just a one time thing for me. I like the challenge of doing something I havent done before. The doors and drawers are all odd ball sizes. I chose maple over popar because I think it's nicer looking when left natural and finishes a bit better.

When I get done with these I am going to build the bathroom vanities and other cabinetry out of oak I took off my land. Going for a more rustic style with it. It's been alot of work getting it from the tree to finished lumber. I don't mind doing things the hard way.

Comment

Working...
            X