DB Hunting RANCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DB Hunting RANCH

I was in the Marines for 6 years have been away from hunting and decided to pick up bow hunting. I am pretty new to the bow and looking to take my first animal, I am looking for a hog or a ram for a decent price in the Austin area without killing the wallet.

Does anyone have any reviews of this place or somewhere close to Austin for a reasonable price?
    Last edited by Grizzly_Mode; 06-24-2014, 03:52 AM.

Took my son there. We saw a lot of animals and popped a hog with a rifle. The place is set up for archery, but not exclusively. The prices are very good, but the hunt and facilities are pretty basic. You meet at a gas station at 5am, follow to the ranch, load up in the ranch truck, and get dropped off. Shoot your animal and wait to get picked up. Clean it, pay, and leave. There's not really anywhere to hang out, and I'm not sure the ranch is manned 24/7. Could be wrong but it didn't seem that way when we went.

We had a good time, but as far as a true hunt goes, I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Truthfully it isn't any different than what most folks do during deer season: wake up early and park your butt over a feeder and wait for it to go off.

I did see a huge fallow deer there that I nearly took but held off, and we also saw some good axis and blackbuck.

Comment

Things may have changed over the years but when I went a while back in the middle of summer it smelled awful. The gut pile was never really cleaned and when the wind blew it really stank. We were told it was a 700 acre ranch when we were thinking about setting up but they ended up taking us to about a 40 ac trap inside of that for rams. If you're looking for a bow kill though this would be a good start, there are lots of animals and some nice ones too. All depends on what you want out of the hunt.

Comment

Like they said above, this place is bare bones for a bare bones price. If you are looking just to get a few kills under your belt while getting some meat, this is your place!

Comment

Went a few years ago, prices are good but I did not care for the hunt it self. I was there hog hunting didn't see or get a hog but saw some Red deer. It is very basic and yes the cleaning station stunk w/ rotting flesh and guts. Just wasn't my thing, me personally I wouldn't go again.

Comment

That place is awful!!!!

Comment

Do any of y'all know of any places with a decent price within 2 hours of Austin?

Comment

You might check out Double K Outfitters in Kosse Tx. I think it is around 2 1/2 hours out of Austin. I hunted with them for a day in March of 2013 and I am going back this Oct. We were only there for 4 hours, but seen a lot of animals, just not the one I was looking for that trip. It is a great ranch and Kelly is a heck of a nice guy. I think his rams are $500 (anything but aoudads) and his hogs run $1 a pound. We seen several hogs and my partner missed one. He had some very nice rams at the time. He doesn't have a web site, but he does have a Facebook page. Plus I do not think he ever books more then one group on the ranch. I like that myself. Good luck

Comment

There are lots of places. You might look at http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/ and give Ben a call. Buddy of mine was just there over the weekend and everyone took hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                    That place is awful!!!!
                    feel the same

Comment

what's wrong with it?

i was think about heading over there too.

Comment

I have hunted at DB four times - mostly taking the kids so they could get some experience. They do have a place to hang out - a nice little cabin with a fire ring so you can grill dinner. It is very much a "bare-bones" place with limited amenities, but there are a lot of hogs and exotics. I agree that they don't clean the gut pile often so it will pile up. I would recommend it if you are looking for a short and inexpensive hunt, or if you have kids that you want to get outside and learn about hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by APDBrad View Post
                          Went a few years ago, prices are good but I did not care for the hunt it self. I was there hog hunting didn't see or get a hog but saw some Red deer. It is very basic and yes the cleaning station stunk w/ rotting flesh and guts. Just wasn't my thing, me personally I wouldn't go again.
                          Well one thing seems to be the case..........the gut pile is still there When I went it was disgusting. They must have been there for some time as the smell was horrible. I had to wait there for some time so I got out and walked around.

I don't know if they put in a new "cabin" but what was there was something you would not want to stay in. It was trashed and looked like coons had stayed but probably wouldn't stay any more due to the conditions.
                          I would have slept on the ground if it was a choice. So if you don't stay at the hotel I would ask for pictures of the "cabin" first.

Back to the gut pile. Not only was it smelling but there were about 10 chickens that were eating out of the gut pile. I didn't think they would do that but apparently so.

Then there was a large ice bag cooler like you see at the store. I opened it up and there was a whole axis stuffed in it frozen solid.

I was told later that after I had posted about my trip that they would definitely get someone on the gut piles and that their other cooler was out so they put the axis in there and if froze so they couldn't get it out.

Its a small place with animals and they are priced cheap. The conditions could be better. (The one stand I was in the whole floor was rotted out for instance and was full of trash.) If that is what you are after then you will be ok.

Comment

Where is this place located?

Comment

DB def has some issues.

According to their website they had two new cabins that you could stay at with an outside BBQ area. Price was way too high for what you got. Cabin was not well insulated and no central ac or heat. There was a window unit and space heaters. We froze our butts off. Kitchen in cabin is only a sink, small microwave and a few knives. No stovetop. The outdoor BBQ area could only be used if reserved and for an extra fee. Fee was to include a small bag of charcole but we had to ask for it and the guide acted put out.

Bathroom was a joke. I am all for roughing it and have gone primitive camping quite a bit. But that being said I know what I'm walking into and come prepared. Come to find out after I got there that the cabins do not have bathrooms. They do have a standalone shower house that both cabins share. No working locks on the door. And no heat. Also their toilet was broke and so across the yard there was an outhouse we could use. I was really mad when I found out that this was the setup. As a lady I would like a little guaranteed privacy while around unknown men. Thankfully no one was staying in the other cabin. I felt for the cost of the cabin rental that they should have called to explain the bathroom set up. Did I mention that it was freezing. And they of course had the huge gut pile. So middle of the night I'm grabbing a flash light and having to see all the animals dart around not scared of me one bit while they are feasting at the gut pile. Kinda freaked me out and wished I had my pistol.

As for the actual hunt you get what you pay for. The two young guides were very friendly. Never met the owners found out from the guides that the owners do not do any of the running of the hunts. We were "hunting" in a small high fenced area. Make sure you tell them when you make the reservations exactly what you want to hunt. If not your out of luck. Seemed to me that they only have exactly what is ordered. There was a really pretty blackbuck running around. We asked how much to shoot it and was told a price. But they also said it would put them out cause the next hunt was for that so they would have to get another one.

Me and my fiancé sat in different stands for an evening hunt then together for the morning. At night as soon as the feeder went off I got my chocolate fallow doe. Never saw another deer just pigs. And one ram that scared the life out of me when he stuck his head into the stand. My honey got a pig. The next morning we sat together and never saw a deer. Just the black buck that was almost pet like. We think we saw several things moving before first light but couldn't make them out.

We were really looking for just a meat hunt and this served the purpose. I wouldn't go back unless it was to get my son his first kill. We had hunted all season at Hilltop and didn't see a thing while we were in the stand so after a season of spending tons of money, this was our first year hunting so we had to buy everything, we just really wanted some meat and for me to get my first kill under my belt.

So if u want some cheap meat go here just stay offsite. Don't go for a nice hunt to get a trophy. IMO it's like picking out an animal at a pet store. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Working...
                              X