Probably been beat to death, but...storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably been beat to death, but...storage

I will be shooting everyday, and I have to order a bowstringer, but until it comes in, I am just leaving the bow strung and set in a corner out of the way. I was told by the lady at the bow shop that unless I am traveling and need to break it down or unless I'm storing it for a while, I do not need to unstring the bow. Is this true? I have seen here where many of yall bring the top loop onto the top limb to hang. Should I do this even if I am shooting everyday?

Another question. If I get bored with shooting the bag target, and I want to move onto grass clumps, stumps, etc, am I ok shooting Judo points? I was looking at the blunt rubber ones at 3Rivers in 125 gr. I am shooting CE Predator 3050s.

If your shooting pretty much everyday, then unstringing it isn't necessary. More limbs are ruined by stringing and unstringing than any other way.

Those blunts are fine. Knock yourself out and have fun.

Comment

as far as i have been told you are ok leaving it strung for long periods of time but i would hang it somewhere from a couple nails leaving it leaning in a corner can twist your limbs. as for the judos i shoot them at anything im not trying to stick in whether its a stump or a rock or grass clump iv even shoty them at baseballs and basket balls

Comment

Cody is right, do not stand it on the limb it could cause the limb to twist.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
          If your shooting pretty much everyday, then unstringing it isn't necessary. More limbs are ruined by stringing and unstringing than any other way.

Those blunts are fine. Knock yourself out and have fun.
          ...yep. All of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cody View Post
            as far as i have been told you are ok leaving it strung for long periods of time but i would hang it somewhere from a couple nails leaving it leaning in a corner can twist your limbs. as for the judos i shoot them at anything im not trying to stick in whether its a stump or a rock or grass clump iv even shoty them at baseballs and basket balls
            DING, DING, DING!!!!! We have a winner!

Never stand your bow up in a corner, closet, etc. (strung or unstrung).

Bisch

Comment

I not sure if I missed it, but did you get a longbow or recurve. I have always been told don't leave a recurve strung up but a longbow is fine to be left strung up. But like mentioned standing in the corner is not good, although I'm guilty from time to time.

Comment

My recurve only gets unstrung when it needs a new string. All of our bows hang for storage.

Comment

Here is how some of mine have hung for years...

Comment

...and some others, THIS WAY:

__________________________________________________ __

Comment

Mine is the same

Comment

As far as the judo points, the only problem with them is that they may not weigh as much as your regular points. There is a way to make them any weight you want but it would take pictures to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                          I not sure if I missed it, but did you get a longbow or recurve. I have always been told don't leave a recurve strung up but a longbow is fine to be left strung up. But like mentioned standing in the corner is not good, although I'm guilty from time to time.
                          Samick Sage recurve. I really don't want to mess with taking the string off the top limb unless I have to. I wanted to know because I plan on replacing the factory string with some from Ol Man. I will also be doing a hog hunt on Spring Break, and if at all possible, I would like to fling some arrows at them from the Sage. I will have to take it down to travel.

Comment

TC, it is perfectly OK to leave you rrecurve strung. For storage you need to lay it flat on the floor or hang it on the wall. Do not stand on end in a corner or in a closet. You do not have to take it down to travel. I never take my bow apart unless I am going on a very long car trip where space is a premium or if I am going on a plane trip. I have a bow sock and unstring mine whenever I am not shooting and put it in the bowsock and throw it in the back seat of the truck.

Also, never leave your bow strung inside a vehicle. Even if it is kinda cool out, if the car is closed up it can get pretty hot in there. Strung bows (esp recurves) do not like this.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              TC, it is perfectly OK to leave you rrecurve strung. For storage you need to lay it flat on the floor or hang it on the wall. Do not stand on end in a corner or in a closet. You do not have to take it down to travel. I never take my bow apart unless I am going on a very long car trip where space is a premium or if I am going on a plane trip. I have a bow sock and unstring mine whenever I am not shooting and put it in the bowsock and throw it in the back seat of the truck.

Also, never leave your bow strung inside a vehicle. Even if it is kinda cool out, if the car is closed up it can get pretty hot in there. Strung bows (esp recurves) do not like this.

Bisch
                              ...aye, AMEN to all of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X