Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm bought my first ranch/hunting property!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm bought my first ranch/hunting property!!!

Woohooo!!!

My offer was accepted on Friday, I'm going into contract today, and will close within a few weeks! 24 acres of gorgeous land just east of Milano, and south of 79. It has good elevation change, tons of HUGE oaks, pecans and pines, and a live creek (with plenty of water in it even now) at the bottom. I'm so excited for all the family weekends that will be spent there teaching the kids how to hunt, and the memories we'll be making.

A big part of the romance in this for me is that I'm going to do as much as I can myself. Not to say I won't be conscripting assistants for some of my projects, but I'm not just going to cut checks and keep my hands clean.

Projects that will be coming up:

1. Fencing the two open sides (t-posts and 5-6 strands of barbed wire are my plan)
    2. Get a well drilled
    3. Bring the electricity from the road, about 500 feet to where I want the cabin to be.
    4. Build a cabin, probably around 20x30 in size.

I will soon be putting up a few feeders and trail cameras to begin surveying the current animal populations, and saving as much of the work as possible for after deer season ends.

As a new landowner-to-be, I would love to absorb some wisdom from the GS as to what to do and not do, newbie mistakes to avoid, and also sources from which I can get the best deals on raw materials (I'm hoping to find a source for t-posts around $1 each, etc)...

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the purchase. Hope all works out well for you!

Comment

Congrats on the new property!

Comment

Congrats on the purchase and to the memories that will last a lifetime

Comment

Congrats on the ranch sounds like a great place... Can't really help you out on what to do or not do as I don't own any hunting property...

Comment

Congrats to you and your family. You are exactly correct. Wonderful memories will be made that will last you and your children forever.

Comment

Congrats on the buy!! It's alot of fun and alot of work but well worth it.

Check out Stan R's thread and see the progress he has made on his purchase.

Comment

Thank everyone!! I can't wait to get started all my projects!

Comment

Livin the dream!

Comment

^^^^THIS^^^^^ Congrats

Comment

Nice! You living the dream!

Comment

Congrats, something I hope to do someday.

Comment

PM silent assassin as he had some t posts for sale last week and some other ranch stuff.

Comment

Congratulations! Hope to be there soon myself.

Comment

Dream of mine as well. Congrats !

Comment

Working...
                              X