No announcement yet.

Oil Pan Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If her Mercedes is like my BMW, there may be a sub-frame under the cast aluminum oil pan and a power steering rack. German engineers like to make things too complicated.

If the steering rack is in the way, you can leave the steering rack assembly in one piece (not disconnecting the ends) and just remove bolts to let it flop down loose on to your chest and you won't have to pay for a new front-end alignment.

Before the sub-frame can come out, you have to support the full engine weight from the top with a hoist or a truss that goes across from fender to fender. My BMW sub-frame was held in with 9mm metric fine thread self-tapping bolts. Replace those with new ones to be sure that the bolts hold factory torque.

2015 oil pan may be hard to find used. Pay for the real Mercedes OEM gasket set.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
      If her Mercedes is like my BMW, there may be a sub-frame under the cast aluminum oil pan and a power steering rack. German engineers like to make things too complicated.

If the steering rack is in the way, you can leave the steering rack assembly in one piece (not disconnecting the ends) and just remove bolts to let it flop down loose on to your chest and you won't have to pay for a new front-end alignment.

Before the sub-frame can come out, you have to support the full engine weight from the top with a hoist or a truss that goes across from fender to fender. My BMW sub-frame was held in with 9mm metric fine thread self-tapping bolts. Replace those with new ones to be sure that the bolts hold factory torque.

2015 oil pan may be hard to find used. Pay for the real Mercedes OEM gasket set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That might need replacing of pan
        IMO
        That’s definitely a hole not a crack

Comment

I hope she didn't drive it very far with a hole that size

If so I would be ready to spend some money

Comment

bad news

Comment

Goggle Belzona Molecular Metal. I have used it before on holes in both steel and aluminum. If used properly it is almost miracle like in performance. The product is expensive because it comes in larger sizes mainly for industrial usage. Per oz it not that expensive, but most people shy away because of the size of containers. It will keep for years, if stored properly. Any product tough enough to be machined is very good. You may have to search around for it, but industrial supply houses are good sources for it

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                I hope she didn't drive it very far with a hole that size

If so I would be ready to spend some money

Only about 200 yards

Comment

Not sure why they leave these aluminum oil pans so exposed.

Comment

Looks to me like a good man with a tig could fix that in place.

Comment

Have it towed to a shop and get it fixed right. If it's expensive, file an insurance claim... County or city may be liable if the pot hole was on a public street.

I would never have my wife drive a car with our kids hoping jb weld is going to hold up...

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                        My girlfriend was driving down a dirt road and hit a pot holes in her little car to where her oil pan cracked of some sort and leaked out ALL of the oil. I am out of town and told her not to drive the car with a baby in it. What do you recommend I have somebody due being cost efficient..

Tell her to not drive the car even if the baby is not on board! She will really have an expensive repair job then.

When the baby is in the car be sure she puts the BABY ON BOARD sign in the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Looks to me like a good man with a tig could fix that in place.
                          This quote above. I hope you find the broken piece, im willing to bet it is still inside. Maybe flush some more oil thru it and hope it falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
                            This quote above. I hope you find the broken piece, im willing to bet it is still inside. Maybe flush some more oil thru it and hope it falls out.
                            Tig it was going to be my suggestion

Comment

Time to sell that car.

Comment

Road Hazard. Call insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X