Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #51
Hobbs
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I was shocked when I saw it but I also know Phil did it on purpose to not have to go back down the hill and deal with pitching back to a stupid pin location. I watched a lot of the coverage and interviews before the tournament started. All the USGA officials were saying there is no way the course will get away from them this year like it did in 2004. I don't think the conditions got away from them but the pin locations were a joke on a few holes. If those locations were a few more feet away from the edges there isn't a problem. Back to Phil, the penalty for hitting a moving ball is two strokes period. He knew the rule and decided to take the penalty. I don't look at him any differently. The USGA looks stupid....again.
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #52
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
I'm not watching golf anymore becuase of this.
You...you...you’re kidding right?
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #53
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
Jack or Arnold ever do this? I think not. His intent was clearly to alter the path of the ball and use it to his advantage. USGA is weak.

All Decisions on the Rules of Golf start with, " The Decision of The Committee is final". That means even if their decision is wrong it is correct. In my judgement, they should have looked at Rule 14, then used Rule 1-2 and DQ'ed him. If he argued then I would say you are getting ready to get hit with 33-7 so call the pilot and tell him to get ready to go West.
They are weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I'm guessing they water the course tonight.
A bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckley99 View Post
So, ethics only come into play when the stakes are high? Ehhh, gonna have to disagree. As my HS coach always told me, ďThere is no such thing as situational ethics. You either are or your arenít!Ē
Exactly!
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #54
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
If the officials actually had a playable course then it may have never happened. I enjoy watching good shots stick around the green where they are supposed to be. Not see great shots slide on an ice highway and run off the greens. If the course is not watered down then Sunday will be just as bad as Saturday was.
Amen bro..........I can see poor play every day. I like to see these guys' talent.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #55
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Every rule in golf is an arbitrary one. Playing within the rules is fair game.
Muygrande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #56
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Golf?

Man I havenít watched much golf lately. Sounds like Iím missing out!

Skinny

Last edited by Skinny; 06-17-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #57
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

TW: Hey Lefty, remember that time I had the gallery
move a 2 ton rock that was impeding my shot to the green ?

PM: Yep, sure do ......... (loose impediment my arse )

Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #58
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckley99 View Post
Those watching the US Open likely saw Phil putt a moving ball, as it was rolling off the green (he was penalized 2 strokes). When asked about it, he said it was a strategic decision. Assuming it was a conscious decision, what are your thoughts?

Was Phil wrong or did he simply use the rules to his (perceived) advantage?

Do you believe that we are called to follow the letter of the law/rule or the spirit of the law/rule?
Well, to answer your question....both! It was a strategic decision in that he knew what he was doing. It was also unethical, in that he knew what he was doing. A little stroke of genius. Don't be surprised if more players don't start doing it and also a rule change maybe in order.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 12:40 AM   #59
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Well, to answer your question....both! It was a strategic decision in that he knew what he was doing. It was also unethical, in that he knew what he was doing. A little stroke of genius. Don't be surprised if more players don't start doing it and also a rule change maybe in order.

Exactly- well said. And he told Fox why he did it. I find it odd that folks want to throw stones. The guy is a hall of fame player, he made a choice, and he took the two strokes. Big deal, move on.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 01:36 AM   #60
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

He took a 10 on the hole. If he let's it roll he likely makes at worst an 8. This wasn't done for any advantage. It was a no fair, I'm taking my ball and going home moment from a Hall of Famer on the biggest stage. The bogey putt was terrible.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 02:13 AM   #61
J-DUB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Batson, Sonora, Africa, North Dakota, Saskatchewan

Smart move on his part, cost Phil 2, but might have saved him 2 also.
J-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #62
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Disqualify? He broke rule 4-5....he hit a moving ball. He made a stroke and almost made it. He didn’t alter or deflect the ball, he putted it while moving. Not a violation of rule 1-2, which is not an automatic disqualification either....it’s a 2 shot penalty, unless in an extreme curcumstance where the player is deemed to be giving himself an obvious advantage. He made a 10, had he not hit it while moving, probably makes an 8 or a 9. He knows the rules as well as the officials and used the rules to get it over with. Probably not the best stage to do it on, but oh well the course was playing pretty rough at that point. I think it was more of a slap at the USGA for the set up.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #63
Outlaw_6
Ten Point

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

If I hit a moving golf ball, Iíd probably be in worse shape than if the ball rolled back to the tee.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #64
stingerslinger
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
TW: Hey Lefty, remember that time I had the gallery
move a 2 ton rock that was impeding my shot to the green ?

PM: Yep, sure do ......... (loose impediment my arse )

The first thing that came to mind for me also. Talk about travesty of the game.
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #65
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin05 View Post
Exactly- well said. And he told Fox why he did it. I find it odd that folks want to throw stones. The guy is a hall of fame player, he made a choice, and he took the two strokes. Big deal, move on.
I have seen high school kids do the same thing....my first for a pro.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #66
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Since I share the same disease he has I can only respect how hard it is to be able to even compete on that level...ÖÖ.I don't discount his age either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ncs View Post

All Decisions on the Rules of Golf start with, " The Decision of The Committee is final". That means even if their decision is wrong it is correct. In my judgement, they should have looked at Rule 14, then used Rule 1-2 and DQ'ed him. If he argued then I would say you are getting ready to get hit with 33-7 so call the pilot and tell him to get ready to go West.
They are weak.
LOL...ÖÖ..good one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
Disqualify? He broke rule 4-5....he hit a moving ball. He made a stroke and almost made it. He didnít alter or deflect the ball, he putted it while moving. Not a violation of rule 1-2, which is not an automatic disqualification either....itís a 2 shot penalty, unless in an extreme curcumstance where the player is deemed to be giving himself an obvious advantage. He made a 10, had he not hit it while moving, probably makes an 8 or a 9. He knows the rules as well as the officials and used the rules to get it over with. Probably not the best stage to do it on, but oh well the course was playing pretty rough at that point. I think it was more of a slap at the USGA for the set up.
Yep, pretty interesting stage! Could truly be a rules change coming VERY soon.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #67
tef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx

This is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am I to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved PENALTY strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. Its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. But regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #68
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
This is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am I to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved PENALTY strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. Its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. But regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.
Oh my.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #69
Hobbs
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
this is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am i to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved penalty strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. but regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.
lol!
Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #70
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

The course was an absolute joke. If I'm Phil, Im hoping to get DQ'd. The USGA let it get away from them again. Even the best cant play on concrete. As far as ethical, he used a rule to his advantage. He got 2 strokes, he wasnt going to get up and down in 5 if that ball rolls back down.
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #71
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Phil has more money than a TV preacher. The course was impossible, he was sick of it.
He took his penalty with a “thank you Sir” and finished his round.
He knew he could not win and most likely didn’t care if they sent him home.

Still one of my hero’s
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top