Big Lake Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Lake Bottom WMA

Me and a buddy got drawn for the first archery hunt at Big Lake Bottom, anybody else gonna be out there for that one? It's 9/27 - 10/6.

I plan on going down this weekend or next some time to do some scouting.

Also, if anyone has any advice for someone who has never been it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes I have read every thread on here already

Woo Whoo.... I got drawn for 10/11 - 10/20

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got drawn as well. Either others know something that we don't, the system screwed up or we are just lucky. I'm there from 9-27 to 10-6 but I will likely hunt 9/27-9/29 and 10/5-10/6.

Comment

I'm glad about it either way, it only took 3 years to get drawn.... Lol

Comment

It is right across the Trinity from Richland Creek WMA. Very similar land, overflow river bottom, but there are more acorn trees there than RCWMA. I believe every hunt last year got flooded out.

Comment

Someone will get a second chance
            I didn’t accept my draw. Just can’t get away on the dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I tried to go squirrel hunting there last year. It was a wet muddy mess from flooding and happened to be raining that weekend too. Couldn't even get around on my mule so I went home that same afternoon. Looks like they could be some pretty woods if it ever dried out. Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                I got drawn as well. Either others know something that we don't, the system screwed up or we are just lucky. I'm there from 9-27 to 10-6 but I will likely hunt 9/27-9/29 and 10/5-10/6.
                Yeah it's certainly nice to have dates that cover two weekends for sure. My buddy Matt, my son, and I will be down 9/27-9/29 and then I will try and make it up at least 1 evening the following week. Me and my wife have concert tickets for a show in Houston on 10/5 so I will miss that evening hunt, but I'm there 10/4 and am of 10/6. It's only 1.5 hrs from the house so I can manage the back and forth driving without too much hassle

Comment

Got drawn for the Antlerless and spike as well....

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                    Got drawn for the Antlerless and spike as well....

Right on! I drew antlerless/spike at enchanted rock

Comment

Looks like rain this week. May be a repeat of last year. Hope not though. Thinking we'll scout this Saturday if it's not flooded.

Comment

River would have to come up 30 ft. The 5 or 6 inches they are calling for up there will fill the sloughs and close the roads to trucks though

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          It is right across the Trinity from Richland Creek WMA. Very similar land, overflow river bottom, but there are more acorn trees there than RCWMA. I believe every hunt last year got flooded out.
                          If by right across the trinity you mean 18 miles downstream

The hardest part about hunting BLB is that it is almost all the same. There is very little to focus deer travel. They can pretty much just go anywhere. I found success by finding heavy brush lines along ditches and hunting the spots where there is a break in the brush where they are crossing.

Comment

I love the area around RC WMA, never applied for the BLB WMA simply because the success percentages on past hunts were nearly always very low to zero on the TPWD site. Figured it had something to do with flooding or whatnot, these posts confirm it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                              If by right across the trinity you mean 18 miles downstream

The hardest part about hunting BLB is that it is almost all the same. There is very little to focus deer travel. They can pretty much just go anywhere. I found success by finding heavy brush lines along ditches and hunting the spots where there is a break in the brush where they are crossing.
                              Thanks. That's kind of what I planned. Also, looking at trails crossing roads. I looked at the area on onx and other than the right of way clearings I see no difference. It was clear not much could be gleaned from sat pictures. Topo did help some. Did you see many hogs?

Comment

Working...
                              X