"OFFICIAL" Granger PHL 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
    I have never done a Public Hunt accept many years ago on Lake Georgetown where you simply signed in and out. I am getting back to bow hunting and bought Public Hunt permit. Going for Pigs with crossbow at Granger. Any pubic hunt tips/warnings for someone returning to the sport after 20 years healing from an auto accident? I went crossbow because it was a shoulder injury so drawing 60 Lbs back was not fun.
    Best bet for Granger is just get out there and look for pigs! They are all around the place.

Just pick a spot and go! OnX maps is a good tool to keep you out of trouble, but its pretty easy to navigate out there
    Last edited by Jspradley; 09-06-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for comments. I am still waiting for mail package for rules etc. Found a lot on line and even spoke with one of the Rangers. I assume I can quarter up a pig so as not to have to drag carry all the weight at once in the event I am in pretty deep. The Corps Ranger said that was acceptable but noted TX parks and Wildlife was the source to clarify questions. 2 years ago white bass wade fishing I witnessed 4 or 5 medium sized pigs run in to the water snarling and snapping at 2 or 3 fishermen wading in the river than turn and run away. Wow! Unsure what provoked it but scary either way.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
        Thanks for comments. I am still waiting for mail package for rules etc. Found a lot on line and even spoke with one of the Rangers. I assume I can quarter up a pig so as not to have to drag carry all the weight at once in the event I am in pretty deep. The Corps Ranger said that was acceptable but noted TX parks and Wildlife was the source to clarify questions. 2 years ago white bass wade fishing I witnessed 4 or 5 medium sized pigs run in to the water snarling and snapping at 2 or 3 fishermen wading in the river than turn and run away. Wow! Unsure what provoked it but scary either way.

You can absolutely quarter up pigs, there's really no rules for pigs so long as you are using legal archery equipment.

You can leave them there if you want though I dont recommend it, Granger pigs are delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          You can absolutely quarter up pigs, there's really no rules for pigs so long as you are using legal archery equipment.

You can leave them there if you want though I dont recommend it, Granger pigs are delicious!
          I raised my kids and wife and lots of friends on wild game and fresh caught fish. Now sadly a city dweller. Yes I will eat the pigs.
          I am a bit confused on the E Postcard. I learned of this opportunity too late and it is expired. I hear of Standby drawing Oct 19. Is this to fill in spots for anyone who is not present for the orientation and can you still have shot at this if you missed the original deadline? I live close enough and will attend if nothing else to learn and maybe chat with some folks. Some venison would be so nice.

Comment

Watched 2 bucks sparring last night while pulling 2 of my cameras. Does are patterned and with the correct wind could be harvested the 1st weekend without breaking a sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
              Watched 2 bucks sparring last night while pulling 2 of my cameras. Does are patterned and with the correct wind could be harvested the 1st weekend without breaking a sweat.
              Get some!!!!!!

Just be careful you don't take a really big one, those are reserved for the locals.

Comment

Get some!!!!!!

Just be careful you don't take a really big one, those are reserved for the locals.
                If he was only drawn this year

He might have had a better chance but....

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity to sell GPS coords to their rightful owners haha

Comment

I speak only for myself...
                    Applications for Texas public land hunts are up across the board looking at whatever stats are available. More people are looking at PHL and WMAs as an alternative to the ridiculous per gun prices at private leases. Internet surely has an influence but to attribute it to a couple of willing, and generous folks is also ridiculous.
                    It's a gorgeous place, and like anything great the word gets out whether you like it or not. I spent almost a month's worth of days out there coming from DFW. You know I learned about Granger? The dang Drawn hunt catalog. Anyone with less than a 12 pack in them would see it's a great spot. You "locals" are on about nothing. Moose antlers on your back in your avatar...others with access to private lands bordering Granger and more still with exotic animals at their leisure...I don't think TNBoy is the only one that should have Spoiled attached to his name.

Granger piggies ARE delicious! Granger deer ARE delicious. Be prepared to earn them.
                    Last edited by NxSTexan; 09-13-2019, 06:02 PM. Reason: I English well I swear

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity to sell GPS coords to their rightful owners haha
                      Id find someone who has actually killed something with horns out there

There was a guy a few years back that made some Christmas money I believe.

Comment

I will be at the standby this year. I was not aware when I bought my first ever permit the drawing was as simple as it is. Some hunts require a fair $ to even to a shot at the draw. I left a message to the Game Warden number listed in the book to educate me a bit on the standby. He has not called. I see stands obviously left up long term. Some look abandoned but were quality once upon a time? I guess enforcement is limited. I built a light small ladder set up I hope to leave but I try to follow rules. If I move it around and update tag maybe it is legal. Also it is clear Hunter Orange is required. Being up front, once I am hidden and not moving would they come down on me for removing the orange per say while up in a tree?

Comment

I would suggest using your own judgement. From what I've seen, this is the most laid back hunt on the docket. I have quite a few stands marked on my OnX map.

Don't let the Good Ole Boys get you down.

Comment

Tennessee- did you draw?

Comment

Thanks for comments TN. Laid back is a good thing. Just looked up OnX. It looked really good per the brags on the site. As for as my ladder I will find a good spot and work it. If the ladder disappears, very little in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                                Tennessee- did you draw?
                                Unfortunately the system chose Richland Creek as my e-postcard, but I'll be at Granger chasing hogs and will continue to run my cameras to help others.

Comment

Working...
                                X