Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer friendly/Electrified Coon-proof feeder pen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer friendly/Electrified Coon-proof feeder pen?

OK, so here's my idea to keep coons out of my deer feeder area. I need the brain trust of the Green Screen to make it work.
    Note: There are no hogs, yet, to contend with--just coons and a few squirrels.

Build a small pen around my feeder with electrified welded wire fencing and t-posts-- low enough for deer to easily jump, but high enough to make coons have to climb to try to get in.

Just above the top rung of the electrified fence (red), using @ a 3-4" stand-off (black) to extend upwards and outwards from the pen, I run a strand of non-electrified wire (green) through sections of 2" diameter pvc tube (gray) and make that the top "wire" of the pen. The standoff and pipe should help keep deer away from contact with the lower fence; make it easy for them to see and jump, and keep them from zapping themselves if they touch the top pipe during their jump. Yes, it will be low enough that the coons might be able to jump to the top rail, but it will spin when they do and even if they do get a hold of it, their back feet would probably come in contact with the lower hot wires, producing the desired zap.

What'dya think? Any improvements? (Besides learning how to draw) Thanx.
    Attached Files

It's 'cause I got webbed feet, ain't it?

Wow! over 200 views and nobody has an opinion, thought--nothin'--not even a razzie for my idea!
    It's 'cause I'm a Looziana boy, ain't it?
    Y'all got a thing against swampers, huh?

I read and seen enough gory pics on this forum to know y'all don't love coons! Even if y'all got enough money to loan some to God, I know you hate wastin' it on those nasty critters.

So...even tho I ain't in the Big Boys' Lone Star Club, can ya help a Cajun save his corn (and sanity)?

Comment

I think this could work. Are there trees around? If so, the varmints are more likely entering from tree canopy rather than ground.

It would have to have a pretty good sized charge box to power the hot wires as well as requirement of keeping vegetation off of it.

And I dont dislike cajuns, I married a *******. The in-laws on the other hand...

Comment

Save your money and get the biggest varmint guard you can fit under your feeder. All you gotta do is keep them from being able to reach the spinner plate.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
          Save your money and get the biggest varmint guard you can fit under your feeder. All you gotta do is keep them from being able to reach the spinner plate.
          ^^^^^^^^^^;^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Thanx, Jake. I don't think droping in from the overhead canopy will be an issue as regards location of the pen. I put the spinner on the lowest setting so it doesn't sling a wide diameter of corn, making the size of my pen @ 25' in diameter. I would think one of the smaller battery/solar charger boxes would be enough to charge three wires that would go around the pen. I just need to build it so the deer in a way they won't get zapped as they walk up to and jump over the wires.

As for B.Loco and gusman's responses: Thanx, but I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have a problem with coons getting to the spinner-- i've got vaseline w/red pepper coated pvc 4" spinning pipes on my tripod legs that work well. I've got a problem with them getting to the corn once it hits the ground. They come in droves and can easily intimidate and chase off all but the biggest and hungriest deer. I don't want to fool with trapping or shooting them as it disturbs the feeding area. A method for selective zapping was the route I wanted to take. I bet if I could pay for cost of the materials in corn savings over two seasons and get to see a lot more deer in the process.

So, who's got the know how? What do I need for an electrified fence charging 3 wires running around a @ 25' diameter pen?

Comment

Originally posted by hebegb View Post
              Thanx, Jake. I don't think droping in from the overhead canopy will be an issue as regards location of the pen. I put the spinner on the lowest setting so it doesn't sling a wide diameter of corn, making the size of my pen @ 25' in diameter. I would think one of the smaller battery/solar charger boxes would be enough to charge three wires that would go around the pen. I just need to build it so the deer in a way they won't get zapped as they walk up to and jump over the wires.

As for B.Loco and gusman's responses: Thanx, but I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have a problem with coons getting to the spinner-- i've got vaseline w/red pepper coated pvc 4" spinning pipes on my tripod legs that work well. I've got a problem with them getting to the corn once it hits the ground. They come in droves and can easily intimidate and chase off all but the biggest and hungriest deer. I don't want to fool with trapping or shooting them as it disturbs the feeding area. A method for selective zapping was the route I wanted to take. I bet if I could pay for cost of the materials in corn savings over two seasons and get to see a lot more deer in the process.

So, who's got the know how? What do I need for an electrified fence charging 3 wires running around a @ 25' diameter pen?
              I'd bet one off-season of trapping would offset your costs. Plus its a ton of fun and a reason to get in the woods in the spring and summer.

Sounds like more work than its worth, and imagine seeing a big buck get zapped and run off into the foggy swamps..

Comment

Working...
              X