• Show
Clear All

Triple beam buck. What causes it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1384408310012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	24996989
    This buck was killed on our lease today. We have had several pictures of bucks over the years of bucks with a third main beam. Some were suggesting it was caused by an injury to the skull. With different bucks showing the same characteristics I would think it was a genetic trait. Is the third beam a genetic trait or caused by injury?

Most likely caused by an injury.

Comment

thats a good question partner...

Comment

That's an awesome deer! I hope it gets mounted.

Comment

He's just a really horny deer???

Comment

It could be either genetic or injury related. If you're seeing a pattern I would say this is something genetic.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Tzn1J View Post
              He's just a really horny deer???
              Lol!! Good stuff!

Comment

Unique Buck

Comment

Could be from an injury to the pedical or could be genetic. If yall are seeing other bucks with this characteristic, I guess I would lean toward genetic. Heck of a buck.

Comment

I would think if you see several at different ages then it would be genetics.

Comment

If some of the "material" from the pedical gets on another part of the deer it will grow an antler there for one season only. I believe this happens just after a buck sheds his old antlers and before any significant growth from the new antlers start. I read about this in an article a while back. I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

Comment

It look like he's got a second pedial on his rt side by the way the second beam is comming out. I wouldn't think one pediical could grow two beams. That is crazy. Genetic mutation?

Comment

Due to the fact that you are seeing this in other bucks on your lease; it leads me to believe that it is genetic versus injury. It is not unusual for a completely second pedicel to form. This leads to additional main beams. Nice trait to have, creating some interesting non typical. TTech 83 wildlife and ranch management Masters.

Comment

Comment

Its injury related. Deer have specialty cells on their pedicle that are responsible for antler formation. Sometimes damage to the pedicle causes these cells to be sloughed off and relocated around the head. They end up producing an antler at that location.

Comment

Working...
                              X