Ag exemption for property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    I understand but I was implying what our property looks like. It was realistic to grow anything but put livestock on it and forget it kinda thing. Rather than worry about our vegetables, orchards, fruits to produce. I look at things as cost effective, it'd be better to put in livestock is all.
    I'm saying you don't have to do ANYTHING. They will assess your property on it's ability to produce income and you will more than likely be pleasantly surprised with their assessment. If you really WANT to grow cattle or goats then have at it but you don't have to to get the exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
      I'm saying you don't have to do ANYTHING. They will assess your property on it's ability to produce income and you will more than likely be pleasantly surprised with their assessment. If you really WANT to grow cattle or goats then have at it but you don't have to to get the exemption.
      Ok. Thank you for clarification. I will call the lady and find out why she told me I have to have something on it to qualify or to keep the exemption. I'm going to delve deeper into this. I appreciate your help with this. I'm learning things everyday! so thank you.

Comment

Our property have been under ag ex for more than 20 years before it was switched into our name. The lady who's in charge at tax office said that timber is mostly for east Texas. Not in Caldwell. That's what she told me personally in person.
        Yes, she's very nice. I wanted to know because we have two different places in CC and as a realtor I find it amazing how many people fail to re apply for ag assessment and pay full pop on taxes and continue ag activity. When they sell it can be difficult to get the ag assessment reinstated for the new owner. Didn't know it you were in that situation or not. I would be happy to help if you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
          Yes, she's very nice. I wanted to know because we have two different places in CC and as a realtor I find it amazing how many people fail to re apply for ag assessment and pay full pop on taxes and continue ag activity. When they sell it can be difficult to get the ag assessment reinstated for the new owner. Didn't know it you were in that situation or not. I would be happy to help if you were.
          Yes, sir Very nice and sweet lady. Yes. I'd like to know more about it. I'll pm you my text nbr.
          Last edited by Silent Assassin; 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Ok. Thank you for clarification. I will call the lady and find out why she told me I have to have something on it to qualify or to keep the exemption. I'm going to delve deeper into this. I appreciate your help with this. I'm learning things everyday! so thank you.
            She is correct. By law, the property must be under ag production for the required number of years to qualify for the ag assessment.

Comment

When I bought my place back in 99, I got it ag excempt. All the tax office asked me was "What are you going to do with it"??
              First I said was to clear some of it and sprig it with coastal.
              Next, was to put some cows on it or maybe use it for hay.
              They told me I had like 2 yrs to get that put in place. Also was told that cattle or hay was good enough. Not once did somebody ever ask how much income I thought I was going to make off of it.
              Another thing they did was compute the whole place (acreage) in ag. and the house is separate, even though they know we live on the place. I don't know what the regs are, but sounds like I got a good deal!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                When I bought my place back in 99, I got it ag excempt. All the tax office asked me was "What are you going to do with it"??
                First I said was to clear some of it and sprig it with coastal.
                Next, was to put some cows on it or maybe use it for hay.
                They told me I had like 2 yrs to get that put in place. Also was told that cattle or hay was good enough. Not once did somebody ever ask how much income I thought I was going to make off of it.
                Another thing they did was compute the whole place (acreage) in ag. and the house is separate, even though they know we live on the place. I don't know what the regs are, but sounds like I got a good deal!!!
                They use their tables/formulas and estimate what the property should produce.

Then go from there to establish a valuation to tax you on.

I think?

It's a good deal no mater what.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                  I would like for you to come and explain that to the tax people where I live..

Comment

Hey I'm out. Austin Kade asked for opinion and wanted to find out but this got sidetracked. I do not want to be part of that. AustinKade, I apologize for things to get sidetracked. This is not about my property. It's about yours. I just suggest you to talk to right people at your local tax appraisal office. They will help you with everything. Good luck. I hope all goes well for u.
                    Guys, I don't mind, this is all new to me! I'm enjoying y'all's input. Carry on

Comment

I can tell for a fact that you have to do something in Red River county, or they will tax you on the value of the land. They will remove the ag/timber exemption, and it can take two to five years to get it back to ag exemption, unless it changes ownership. IF IT is under ag you can transfer to wildlife, but you will loose some good federal tax advantages. Advantage is it is easier to meet goals to maintain your exemption.

In red river county they will value your property at about 1500/ac w/o exemption, and tax on that value.

Comment

I think you have to file for the ag exemption at the central appraisal office.

I assume everyone is using the tac office name in place of this.

The appraisal office is that place that sets to value of the property.

The tax office just collected the taxes based upon the tax rates and the value of the propery as determined by the CAD.

When I bought my small farm I was able to take over the existing ag exemption for hay production.

The CAD office for your county. The office for my county very helpful and answered all question.
                        Last edited by Stan R; 09-09-2012, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                          I think you have to file for the ag exemption at the central appraisal office.

I assume everyone is using the tac office name in place of this.

The appraisal office is that place that sets to value of the property.

The tax office just collected the taxes based upon the tax rates and the value of the propery as determined by the CAD.

When I bought my small farm I was able to take over the existing ag exemption for hay production.

The CAD office for your county. The office for my county very helpful and answered all question.
                          Yeah. CAD is what I meant. They're always nice and there for me to answer any questions.

I know for a fact she told me I have to have something that will produce or lose the AG ex. I will email her about the assessment. We shall see. Thanks for sharing.

It's really interesting to see different inputs. Maybe because each county are different. I do not know but very interesting.

Comment

Following along. We need to put 120 acres under an ag exemption.

Comment

man,
                              look @ all these people trying to get out of paying their fair share of taxes...

whats next, food stamps ?

(slow morning, )

Comment

I will post the link to a great article that explains the difference between ag exemptions ( 1-D exemptions) and open space exemptions (1-D-1 exemptions)

The law is pretty clear on what you have to do to be a true "ag exempt".
                                According to the statutes, the landowner and the land must meet four
                                requirements as of January 1 of each
                                year.
                                • The land must have been devoted
                                exclusively to or developed continuously for agriculture during
                                the past three years.
                                • The owner’s primary occupation
                                and source of income are agriculture.
                                • The owner intends to use the
                                land for agriculture and as an
                                occupation or business for profit
                                during the coming year.
                                • The owner files an application by
                                sworn statement with the chief
                                appraiser before May 1 of each
                                year with all the documentation
                                required to determine the validity
                                of the claim. For good cause, the
                                chief appraiser may extend the
                                filing deadline 60 days.
                                After reviewing the application and
                                all the relevant information, the chief
                                appraiser must:
                                • approve the application and allow
                                the appraisal as agricultural use,
                                • disapprove the application and
                                request additional information or
                                • deny the application.

I suspect that there are very few posters in this thread that meet those legal qualifications.

On the other hand, the open space exemption qualifies the land only and not the owner. This is what most erroneously call an "ag exemption"
                                Open-Space Appraisal
                                (Section 1-d-1)
                                The other appraisal method, better
                                known as Open-Space or Section 1-d-1
                                land, requires the land, not the landowner, to qualify. The owner’s occupation, business and sources of income
                                are irrelevant.
                                According to the statutes, there are
                                three primary requirements for receiving the exemption.
                                • The land must be currently devoted principally to agricultural
                                use to the degree of intensity
                                generally accepted in the area.
                                • The land has been devoted
                                principally to agricultural use or
                                production of timber or forest
                                products for five of the preceding
                                seven years.
                                • The owner files a prescribed form
                                provided by the appraisal office
                                with the chief appraiser before
                                May 1 with all the necessary information to determine the validity of the claim. For good cause,
                                the chief appraiser may extend
                                the filing deadline 60 days.

Here is a link to the full article.

http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1361.pdf

As an example on my place, the appraisal office came out and looked at the place. They carved out an acre around the house and appraised that at full (but still low) residential value. Then they took the rest of the place and valued it like I leased it out for grazing (agricultural
                                use to the degree of intensity generally accepted in the area.) so the value on the remaining property was only a few dollars an acre.

These guidelines should be standardized from county to county by state statute.
                                Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 09-09-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X