Anyone visited Normandy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone visited Normandy?

Real interested in visiting Normandy and some of the other WW2 areas in Europe.

Anyone been and have any tips or recommendations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative.
    Although my boss just shipped a 100+ pallets of steaks over there and hired people to prepare them for the veterans,, for the D-Day celebration. He was there for a week prior. Had nothing but interesting stories.
    Definitely be an expierance

Comment

My sister in law has invited us on a river cruise next May that ends up in Normandy.

Comment

Bucket List item for sure.

Comment

My dad just took my nephew for a graduation gift-spent 2 weeks (all over Europe) mostly focused on WW2. I haven’t had a chance to get a recap but I will try and post or pm some of their highlights.

Comment

Haven’t. But want to. Read The First Wave, then go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              My sister in law has invited us on a river cruise next May that ends up in Normandy.
              Is that on one of the long, narrow river barges? It has been many years but I have heard those are excellent.

Comment

I have been to Normandy! It is incredible. Several museums and things on the way up there and once you get there.
                On the way up our driver asked if anyone had a relative buried at Normandy. I raised my hand and he then informed me he would be taking me to a different location than the rest of the people on the expedition. He took me and my wife to a separate building. We walked in and they asked the name of our relative. They looked him up and told us to follow them. They proceeded to drive us straight to his grave site. They then put crushed sand into his name and rank so it stood out against the white tombstone. The did this so we could see his name in the pictures we took. They gave us a brief history of my relative in the war, where he went during the war and what his job was in the war. My grandfathers brother was dropped by parachute behind enemy lines and died about 3 days after being in France. They gave us a packet with all the info. Extremely cool. They treated so special. I’ll never forget going to Normandy. The views are incredible the history is so rich and the people are grateful for what America sacrificed.

Comment

Twice..... Amazing

As a person who has great, great respect for our military, and a fair bit of historical knowledge about WWII, it's was a very emotional experience.
                  What those men did, knowing full well what they were up against, is truly a testament to the courage of motivated and well trained men. When you see with your own eyes the level of fortifications the Germans had constructed on the cliffs at Omaha you'll truly understand.

Watch the first 30 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" in preparation as it's (according to the vets who were there) by far the most realistic recreation of what actually occurred. Then when you visit the American Cemetery at Normandy you'll be humbled beyond words.....

The level of sacrifice by "the greatest generation" (and others before them) is truly understood if you prepare beforehand then stand on those hallowed shores.... very, very humbling. It's truly hard to believe great Americans, Canadians, French, and the Brits had such cumulative courage.

As far as where to go and how to do it properly I can give you some suggestions...

Pointe du hoc
                  Utah Beach
                  Omaha Beach
                  Sainte-Mère-Église (watch "The Longest Day")
                  German Cemetery at Normandy (14k buried, youngest 14 years old)
                  American Cemetery at Normandy (almost 10k with the youngest 16 years of age)

Visit Churchill's bunker in London if you have the time....

It's will worth the time, money, and energy....

I wish all American high school, college kids, and all left wing "academia" truly understood (or cared) about their incredible level of sacrifice, etc.
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 07-17-2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

also a bucket list item for me. That and the entire area to include the eagles nest

Comment

I've been once. It is definitely somewhere everyone needs to go. Very impressive, and humbling place. I wish I would have known more history about the places, but it is still an amazing place, just has a different feel.

Comment

We love London. Been twice in last 2 years. The English like Americans and want to talk to you. They are fascinated by American politics.

We did France too.

The French are very unfriendly.

They expect you to attempt to speak french. Butcher their language. Then they will interrupt you and reveal they speak English.

Westminster Abbey is the Brits Arlington National Cemetery

Their tomb of the unknown soldier is there

Past kings and queens too

Interesting place. Stephan Hawking too.

The train that goes under the channel is overrated

You are under the water for only 20 min of a 1.5 hour ride Paris to London. Mostly open countryside.

London pubs are my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAB71 View Post
                          I have been to Normandy! It is incredible. Several museums and things on the way up there and once you get there.
                          On the way up our driver asked if anyone had a relative buried at Normandy. I raised my hand and he then informed me he would be taking me to a different location than the rest of the people on the expedition. He took me and my wife to a separate building. We walked in and they asked the name of our relative. They looked him up and told us to follow them. They proceeded to drive us straight to his grave site. They then put crushed sand into his name and rank so it stood out against the white tombstone. The did this so we could see his name in the pictures we took. They gave us a brief history of my relative in the war, where he went during the war and what his job was in the war. My grandfathers brother was dropped by parachute behind enemy lines and died about 3 days after being in France. They gave us a packet with all the info. Extremely cool. They treated so special. I’ll never forget going to Normandy. The views are incredible the history is so rich and the people are grateful for what America sacrificed.

Beautiful Story

Comment

I've been to the US National Cemetery and Memorial at Luxembourg which is a few hours from Normandy. The solders who died at the battle of the bulge are buried there along with General George Patton. Another place to visit if you are close.

Comment

My granddad was a member of the 82nd Airborne Para Gliders, he dropped into Normady on a paper plane. I would love to go trace his foots steps and see where all he went.

Comment

Working...
                              X