Blown opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown opportunity

It has been slow at my feeder this year. First of all my feeder decided to stop throwing some time last month. Got that fixed opening day but no deer that weekend. Then my neighbor started shredding his patch the next Saturday morning early. No deer that weekend. I started nights tonight so I go this morning for one last time before my seven in a row. My feeder threw right at daylight. 30 minutes later a small doe came to my feeder. 20 yards broadside. I get buck fever every time I draw on any animal and just as I draw she started walking. Got to 27 yards and stopped, again broadside. I neglected to add the extra seven yards needed for her new distance. Arrow went right under her chest. I've seen one deer in ten sits and I blew it. I'm a born loser.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. I am not even comfortable telling anyone all my blown hunts. Hang in there

Comment

I wouldn’t say your a loser. That’s bow hunting. Mistakes will happen, learn from them.

Comment

The rush is what drives me to hunt. The day I loose that rush is the day I’ll stop hunting. My dad use to say there is no reason to get that shaken up until the deer start shooting back. He was a WWII veteran that turned 17 fighting in the Pacific.

Comment

That’s bow hunting you will get some more chances . That one just wasn’t meant to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You got plenty of time left, catch and release doe.

Comment

I share all my mishaps. My brothers and nephews get a kick out of them. They said "instead of being a hunter gatherer I am going to concentrate on gathering".

Comment

Don't let the missed opportunities get you down!! It's what kept the hunter-gatherers lean and fit back in the day

I believe I would have been vegetarian back in the day

Comment

Don't beat yourself up. The first several years I could not fight my way out of a paper bag when it came to bow hunting. I have made just about every mistake known to bow hunting. Also, look at it this way... at least you just clean missed instead of wounding. Keep your head up ^^^^

Comment

Don’t sweat it bro! Happens to me all the time. Heck I’ve shot through the blind before, woken up late, missed a million times.

Comment

Looking back on a miss always involves kicking oneself. I have sat there after a miss and thought “what a effing choker I am! That was a layup!” I then replay it in my mind over and over and the self-flagellation continues. It is remarkable that no matter how many deer you have bagged with a bow, sometimes the adrenaline-induced brain fog makes you spaz-out at the moment of truth. That’s bow hunting!

Comment

Bright side, you didn’t have to clean a deer but still got a rush! Much better than a poor shot placement and looking for her.
                        It happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not a blown opportunity, just a practice shot.
                          It beats center punching one any day.

Comment

I'll beat myself up for a week and be back at it my next opportunity. I'm sure with more failures to tell. For me, I think the failures make the successes much more appreciated.

Comment

I can't tell you how many deer I shot at before I finally hit one in the butt and somehow the arrow hit an artery and bled out. My first buck with a bow some 35 years ago. Practice on pigs and raccoons and it will all come together. That's all part of bow hunting. 2 years ago I shot a big 10 in the guts with about a 8 in drop tine and never found him. Almost quit bow hunting then but this is all part of hunting period. Good luck don't be discouraged.

Comment

Working...
                              X