Best Stand/Blind for East Texas Pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Stand/Blind for East Texas Pine

I have been hunting my 200 acre lease of thick East Texas Pine for this will be the 4th year. Now, these pines are young and only about 20-30 ft tall so they are not very big yet. This year I put in a lot of elbow grease and cleared out about 3/4 of a acre where there was an old laydown that was grown up with saplings/underbrush. I put out a protein feeder and this opening is being hammered right now by the deer. So all the hard work is paying off.

What I am having a hard time with is choosing what kind of Stand, Blind, Tripod, climber, ladder, etc to use in this spot. What are your opinions on this?

I have put in a few pictures of the area I cleared out so you can get an idea.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I don't own one YET, but everyone seems to love the Krivoman blinds. There's several threads on this subject you might check.

Comment

Well I think that a small amount of elevation is nice like 5 feet , stand wise tons to choose from . My vote on that goes to redneck ,

I have three tripods I plan to add to my place Just not got them out there yet . It simple enough to move them and sturdy with a little work you can get netting around it and you .

Pine trees are not the best for a climber but they are great for a hang on stand and offer great cover year round .

With pine trees I always try to tuck myself into the trees .

Good luck

Comment

One that would be very hard or impossible to steal...

Comment

Find an old Tree Lounger. They are one of the best climbers ever. IMO.

And like said above. One too heavy to steal. haha

Comment

I would recommend a pop up blind with shoot through windows. If your trees are not big enough to climb yet then that's the way to go. Maverick or Krivoman blinds will last way longer, but good luck finding one near you.

Pine trees are perfect for climbing stands. When the trees are big enough to support one. That's how I hunt in East Texas.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Definitely a pop up for trees that size.

Comment

When I hunted east Texas, I wanted to be in a pop up or box blind. Some of those deer a lot of pressure and it made a big difference to be in a completely blacked out blind. I started with a pop up on a platform about 5' up. I used that until the blind rotted and then built a box. On both, I had a small window facing the shooting lane and everything else black out.

Comment

Krivoman. They are expensive but they keep you concealed, your scent is controlled and they are quiet. If you can swing it, it would be worth it.

Comment

look into bittercreek

Comment

I make my own out of a utility panel turned in a circle and covered with camo netting. Some are on platforms and some not, but the deer get used to them pretty quick and they are extremely comfortable to hunt out of. Movement and noise are hidden from deer and that's always a good thing. The only downside is that they are hot in the early season, but not as hot as the plastic blinds.

Comment

I am odd man out,, I would use a tri pod, and put it on the NE side if there is a spot for it,,,

Comment

Find a sturdy tree of some kind that has a good sized Holly or Magnolia by it and put you a lock-on about 15' up in the tree. The Magnolia or Holly will help break up your outline.

Comment

I hunted tree stands and they are great especially if you have a good back stop to keep deer from getting on your 6. Then I started hunting a pop up and man I gotta say they are way more comfortable and allow tons more room for error. Looking at your set up a pop up would be lethal.

Comment

Working...
                              X