Raising chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising chickens?

OK let see who else does this... I am in the city and going to start building coop soon... Lets see some of yalls set up and flock...

We had chickens for a number of years but currently dont have any.

check out backyardchickens dot com

Comment

We got some chickens earlier this year, they started laying eggs a few months ago. I've been letting them out in the evenings to chase grasshoppers. Here is a video of our jack Russell playing with the rooster, they do this every evening, pretty funny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1Fwls4Sl8"]Jack Russell vs rooster - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Doug View Post
        We had chickens for a number of years but currently dont have any.

check out backyardchickens dot com
        ^That is a great site. We don't have them yet, but will be getting them when we get settled soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
          We got some chickens earlier this year, they started laying eggs a few months ago. I've been letting them out in the evenings to chase grasshoppers. Here is a video of our jack Russell playing with the rooster, they do this every evening, pretty funny.

Jack Russell vs rooster - YouTube
          That's awesome!

I have 2 Cochins and I have to say, they are pretty entertaining

Nice medium brown eggs daily as well

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post

Jack Russell vs rooster - YouTube
            That's pretty funny! I don't have any pictures, but grew up with them, and my parents still raise them. What we found worked, was an extra layer of screen door wire at the bottom (to stop the raccoons from sticking their grubby hands in), they eat almost anything (seriously, they are like pigs), vaseline and salt on the chickens bottom if they start pecking each other badly, if you want to transport them, put them in a paper sack and fold the top over, and artificial grass in the laying boxes (it can be hosed down easily). Murray McMurray hatchery has some good layers, and that is where my dad orders from.

Good luck, and enjoy the eggs.

Comment

I'm running 10 hens and a rooster. Don't have pics, but will try to get some in a bit. Mine just started laying about 3 weeks ago, and I am up to 7 eggs per day.

Comment

We got the kids some chicks for Easter. Still don't have eggs yet, hopefully soon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378937043.685094.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	24243621Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378938596.959995.jpg
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	24243631Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378938932.416640.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	24243632

Built a coup. My kids love these nasty things
                  It seems like the new suburban fad now. We have one that just started laying.

Comment

Here's my chicken pen, pretty redneck but I live way out in the country with no neighbors.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378943491.382938.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	24243681

Daily eggs

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378943514.968086.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24243682
                    Need to get rid of some roosters

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378943547.353961.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	24243683

Comment

I m not in the city but I keep 10 to 15 hens .. You don't have to have roosters to get eggs . In the city the rooster will wake up the neighbors .. Right now I'm fighting a couple fox . I'm gonna start on a fox resistant hen house when it cools down..

Comment

chickens and dogs, and some cats dont mix... if you live in the city i would say this is going to be your bigest worry.... dont get a rooster (keep the neighbors happy)... and they are the best bug getters you can get... if you have a garden they will eat parts of it... there was a thread on her a few days back about chicken pluckers that may be useful if you get a bunch...

Comment

I have 11 and a rooster. They're in time out right now because they were laying eggs all over the yard. They've been locked up for 2 days now. Im only getting about 5 eggs a day. 3 hens are still young and I think the others are getting older.

Comment

I have had chickens for about 5 years. Rhode Island Reds have been my best chicken breed, followed by brown leg horns and Americaunas. They are filthy creatures and scavengers, but somewhat lovable.

Comment

I have 9 hens-BLRwyandottes, marradunas, and Sicilian buttercups. Along with 2 roosters(marradunas). Averaging 6 eggs a day.
                              The marradunas are my favorite-they come to me to be pet(super friendly birds, do really well in hot weather too). The Sicilians are pretty laid back-get along well with all, but they do not like to be touched. Ill see if I can get some coop pics up tomorrow-while there is daylight.

Comment

Working...
                              X