No announcement yet.

Academy Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one by me has 2 very knowledgable young folks behind the counter on guns/ammo/archery (one a girl). But I have watched a customer chew one of them out becouse they didn't know the mix ratio per gallon of 2 cylcle outboard oil off top of their head. And another time becouse one didn't know the differnce between a willow leaf and a Colorado blade on a spinner bait. Chances are maybe the guy you spoke with was top notch with fishing supplies but not so much in hunting?? They have a broad range of a catagories to handle. Always go into these big box stores knowing what you need, and just consider yourself lucky if you find a associate that is knowledgable about the product in question you came for.
    Last edited by Man; 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Works both ways. A coworker knows all sorts of useless trivia about AR15's. I went to a gun show with him and he did nothing more than conduct intreragations and a couple of arguments with vendors.
      I'll never go through that crap again. It's no wonder good retail sales people are hard to come by.
      Last edited by Bluesman; 09-09-2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Did you bother to call the Manager of the store to tell your story?

I had a similar event, but before I walked out of the store I had a chat with the Store Manager. I don't expect their employees to be knowledgeable about every product, but it dang sure ticks me off when three of them are socializing and not a single person asks to help you.

Comment

Seems like they would at least be interested in the outdoors if they work there

Comment

What's worse than an employee that doesn't know anything is a customer that thinks he knows everything. You guys are expecting way too much from minimum wage employees.

Comment

At an Academy near me I was goofing around and asked about a concealed carry pistol - the guy behind the counter lifts his shirt and produces a Ruger LCP and showed me. I'm like, um dude, you're not supposed to do that. He's looked shocked. He said he does it all the time. So, I said well let me see it. He almost handed it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
                What's worse than an employee that doesn't know anything is a customer that thinks he knows everything. You guys are expecting way too much from minimum wage employees.
                Let me tell ya, what I expect someone thats at least knowledgeable about whats in front of them or has the savvy to say "you know I don't know the answer to your question let me ask someone for you". Not stand there with a stupid look on there face and say I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  Did you bother to call the Manager of the store to tell your story?

I had a similar event, but before I walked out of the store I had a chat with the Store Manager. I don't expect their employees to be knowledgeable about every product, but it dang sure ticks me off when three of them are socializing and not a single person asks to help you.
                  No it wouldn't have been a pretty sight at the time... I was pretty ticked off and I know when to keep my mouth shut and bite my lip until I settle down some.

Comment

I'll beat the dead horse, Academy is good for getting your hands on a lot of things and low prices. But I went into a bow shop, don't remember the name west of 8 along I10, when I was in Houston in April and walked around looking at pretty much everything and not one employee spoke to me. There were only a few people in the place, so you don't always get great service there either.

Comment

Originally posted by br549redneck View Post
                      Is every Academy as bad as the one we have here? Salesmen/woman that know nothing about what there paid a wage to sell? I go to look at at shoot and purchase a bow tonight and stand at the counter for 30 minutes no one asked if I need any assistance. There are 3 employees standing with in 30 feet of me BSing laughing having a good time. I walked down there asked to see a bow the guy acts ****** off that I interrupted his play time. He gives me the bow I asked for and I asked some questions, What is the draw weight range on the bow? He has no clue, I asked the let off he says let off whats that? I said I don't guess you know the draw range either ...nope I handed him back the bow and walked out. Bad thing is thats the only sporting good store we have here besides a walmart and we have 3 of those . I wont be going back to Academy ... ok vent over thanks
                      Pretty much the way it is.

Comment

I stopped by Academy looking for a set of golf clubs for my daughter. The young man helping did a price check for me and asked how many clubs I wanted. SMH. He didnt know each club was different or that they were a set.

Comment

I know what you mean! I went into academy the other day and most of the employees were yelling back and forth between isles, talking about what they did over the weekend. I wanted to say something to them but I figured it wouldn't help. As I walked around the corner to try something on in the dressing room. There was a female employee sittin in the only available stall, texting on her phone. I walked up to the stall and she immediately points out the door and says there's one available to the left..... This was not the case as the entire dressing room area was packed with people and overflowing with unfolded clothing. I asked her if her manager knew she was sitting on her ***** not doing anything and she kindly got up and walked out the door!

Comment

Pretty much the rule at academy. Let's hang out and hope nobody comes and ask questions.
                            Just my experience anyway.

Comment

If you're going to sell bows and guns, at least have some sort of competent person for those 2 categories of merchandise. Let the other kids deal with all the little stuff that most of us don't need questions answered. I think Academy needs to do a better job of putting the right person in the right department. I can almost assure I've had multiple occasions where someone has asked to help me, and I knew before they even spoke that they had not a clue. I shop online

Comment

It's bad
                                My nephew works for Academy and last year he calls me asking about bowhunting. Then says they stuck him in arxhery department. Now this young man had hardly hunted with a gun and had never shot a bow.

Comment

Working...
                                X