Receiver Hitch Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiver Hitch Rack

I’m about to build a receiver hitch rack for storage boxes, coolers, etc. I want something bigger and sturdier than any I’ve seen for sale. It’ll be behind a 3/4 ton pickup most the time but could go on a SUV at some point I guess.

Anyone have pictures of ones they’ve built or used and liked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most heavy duty ones I've seen have had the corners tied off with light chain and turnbuckles to help keep from twisting. And add stability.

Comment

No i dont have any pics but do have a recommendation for you. If possible make it where the Suv backdoor/tailgate can still open when rack in in hitch. Its a pain in the butt to have to take that thing off every time. Also if you can you might want to make a place to put a licence plate. I believe by law if your cargo blocks your plate you have to have the plate on the cargo hauler where visable.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
        No i dont have any pics but do have a recommendation for you. If possible make it where the Suv backdoor/tailgate can still open when rack in in hitch. Its a pain in the butt to have to take that thing off every time. Also if you can you might want to make a place to put a licence plate. I believe by law if your cargo blocks your plate you have to have the plate on the cargo hauler where visable.
        And a license plate light

Comment

I did this very thing. I had plenty of gap between the hitch and the start of the basket. This one served me well until I got rear-ended on the way home from Bownanza. I could lower my truck tailgate and still clear a cooler sitting on the rack.

I did get pulled over on the way to Cisco to hunt with you once because my license plate was not visible.

I used 1"x1" angle for the frame and uprights and then 1" strap around the top. It held up fine with over 500lbs on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	expanded1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24551968

Name:	framelayout1.JPG
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	24551969

Name:	framelayout2.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	24551970

Comment

Casey,

I remember that rack and you getting pulled over on the way to hunt that time. I’m going to try to get started on this the next few days.

Comment

PAKMULE is the most rugged aluminum hitch basket cargo carrier on the planet. 100% Aluminum, Wobble-Free & Made in America.

Comment

Yip. I'd like to build a swing-away too, just for this....IF, Ize a good enough fabricator! Storeboughts are kinda high but sure handy tho.

Comment

Here’s an update with a few pictures of what I ended up building. I copied one that Dale built several years ago. Here’s a link to his.

I added a spot for a license plate and put in a light. Took it on a little road trip this past weekend and all was good.

Comment

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Looks good to me.

Comment

You did a good job, Looks stout.

What started as a 4wheeler rack [ATTACH]925779[/ATTACH]Sold 4wheeler and made it to mount to my truck. front or rear. Rear will slide back enough to drop tailgate. Or can slide it on so the vertical part is away from the vehicle.

Name:	IMG_1255.JPG
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	24554703Front has 2 receiver mounts that are designed for my 5thwheel kayak rack.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	24554706Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	24554705 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0854.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24554704Yea I changed trucks in the process (from red one to white one)

Love the front dbl.mount...

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	24554707Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	24554708

Comment

Working...