Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!
Default Robert E. Lee High School offensive?

Folks,

The butthurt generation has hit the thriving metropolis of Tyler. An outsider that is not from Tyler, never attended the high school, never taught at the school, does not have kids that attend the high school started opposition to our high school name of Robert E. Lee. We all know who REL was, so I won't go into a history lesson.

Keep in mind that the other high school is named John Tyler High School, same person that the city of Tyler is named for.

Those wanting to change REL say it is because he was for slavery and was a Confederate. They won't swallow the fact that John Tyler also owned slaves. (hippocracy at it's finest).

REL was originally referred to as the Rebels. In 1968, it was changed to the Red Raiders. Now it's still named Robert E. Lee and says so on the sign but is now referred to as "Tyler Lee".

I (among the majority) are for NOT changing the name. It is part of our history. Robert E. Lee High School is part of MY history, class of '92

Both high school are about to undergo complete renovations. The cost of changing the name was not included in the budget. The estimated cost of changing BOTH names would be 1.8-2.1 Million dollars. Now, wouldn't that money better go to security at both schools?

I have called and emailed all school board members voicing my opinion on this. It was taken off the previous school board meeting agenda but was recently added to the upcoming agenda due to pressure from the "outsider" and a school board member's spouse.

Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?

https://www.change.org/p/save-our-name-robert-e-lee
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

was wondering when they'd get around to Tyler....
biggest issue they had in '86 was the kids drivin around town with confederate flags hanging off their trucks and kids from JT throwin rocks at them...

times they be a changin
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?
Personally, no. I could care less about the name of my high school. I don't much live in the past when it comes to stuff like that. Sure I have some good memories of High School...

"All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself." - Randall 'Pink' Floyd

That being said, I hate it when people change stuff for contrived reasons.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

It happened here in San Antonio.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

My question is, when are we going to quit worrying about what people did 100+ years before we were even born?

Not saying forget or forgive people for the "bad" things they did, but quit apologizing for our ancestors actions we had no control over!

We should be worrying about our future instead of what was done in the past. (Not saying forget the past)

People today get so jacked up over trying to erase history and pretending it will make everything better, it's ridiculous!

Facts are:
1. Confederate soldiers were revered in the South as Heroes.
2. Slavery was bad... but at the time was legal.
3. Changing the name of a school because the current name offends people is crazy...
4. Lastly the name of the school will not cause the people that attend to follow in the footsteps of person it's named after....

Most importantly 1 - 2 million dollars to change the name of a school... that right there is reason enough to not even consider it! what a waste...
mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
jer_james
Pope & Young

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

“Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn said. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive.”
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Da' Hitman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Smith County

Just a nugget to ponder....

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes
Da' Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Hitman View Post

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes
The comparison of Hitler or Nazi to anything confederate is ridiculous.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:

Your comparison of Hitler to R.E.L. has many holes. Not comparable in any way, shape, or form.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Your comparison of Hitler to R.E.L. has many holes. Not comparable in any way, shape, or form.
While Slavery is not Genocide. It is absolutely an atrocity.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Slavery is not a "confederacy" thing.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Slavery is not a "confederacy" thing.
I agree, but it played a part in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev002 View Post
My question is, when are we going to quit worrying about what people did 100+ years before we were even born?
This stuff will NEVER end because much of the current, younger generation are fed liberal BS in school and they believe it. Actual history is not being taught because professors are allowed to share their personal opinions rather than the truth. Confront a tenured professor about the truth and you'll likely receive a failing grade for insubordination.

Kids today (16-25 yr olds) wanna be a part of "change" and will stand for anything that liberates them from the past. If someone feels "oppressed", left-wingers will jump on the band wagon to make sure their voice is heard regardless of what the facts are.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
I guess you would be in favor on renaming all the things named Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, etc.....

Where does it stop? Its just so stupid that I can't believe this is a "thing".
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

“Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn said. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive.”

The current people pulling crap like this along with the race baiters are the ones keeping the sores open. Most people could care less as it has zero impact on their daily lives but again it’s the tail wagging the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers?
While I understand your point, this is a different place in time and that generation still lives, as where the generation the dealt with slavery is long long gone.

I don’t know exactly who said it but “erasing history and not learning about it will cause us to repeat it”, I believe to be very true. What people also forget and are never taught in school, is slavery was not about race or skin color, slaves were of all ethnicities and at some point in time every race, color, or ethnicity was enslaved somewhere in this world. So to me to be offended by this is just a cry for attention and absolutely ridiculous. I personally don’t agree with slavery, I have members in my family tree that served in the confederacy, but that’s just how things were 150 years ago, it was life, and I am proud of my heritage whether I think it was right or wrong.

To the OP... it’s a sad sad thing they are wanting to change the name of a school of a truly honorable man in my standards even though he was a slave owner. The soft libs already changed Robert E. Lee high school in San Antonio to Lee high school several years ago.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #17
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
The current people pulling crap like this along with the race baiters are the ones keeping the sores open. Most people could care less as it has zero impact on their daily lives but again it’s the tail wagging the dog.
There would be no crap to pull if they weren't there ...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
While I understand your point, this is a different place in time and that generation still lives, as where the generation the dealt with slavery is long long gone.

I don’t know exactly who said it but “erasing history and not learning about it will cause us to repeat it”, I believe to be very true. What people also forget and are never taught in school, is slavery was not about race or skin color, slaves were of all ethnicities and at some point in time every race, color, or ethnicity was enslaved somewhere in this world. So to me to be offended by this is just a cry for attention and absolutely ridiculous. I personally don’t agree with slavery, I have members in my family tree that served in the confederacy, but that’s just how things were 150 years ago, it was life, and I am proud of my heritage whether I think it was right or wrong.

To the OP... it’s a sad sad thing they are wanting to change the name of a school of a truly honorable man in my standards even though he was a slave owner. The soft libs already changed Robert E. Lee high school in San Antonio to Lee high school several years ago.
The Families are very much alive and well ...
Old 06-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

Quote:
I guess you would be in favor on renaming all the things named Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, etc.....

Many in Tyler have said that if REL's name is changed, that the other high school (John Tyler) be changed as well ALONG with the entire city name.

What fires me up about this more than anything is the person leading this. He has ZERO ties to Tyler or Robert E. Lee High School. He moved here and stirred up this **** show. I have talked to him on a few different occasions and he only replies that the school's name is racist and we (those who oppose the change) are racist for not wanting to change the name. I have spoken to friends and coworkers (white, black, hispanic) who all think it's ridiculous to change the name. Some went to REL, some to John Tyler and others from outside of Tyler.
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

I signed it...

Robert E. Lee HS here in houston was changed to "wisdom high school"... The only wisdom going on there is how to be an MS13 member lol
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #21
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I find it ironic that most of the people wanting Confederate statues removed and school names changed are Democrats.........just like all of the people on those statues and signs. What the kids really need to be taught is that Democrats hung on to slavery, Jim Crow laws, and segregation like ticks on a dog. Democrats started the KKK, passed laws to keep blacks unarmed, blocked the doorways of schools to keep blacks out, etc. Now, they've conveniently forgotten all that history that shows what a sorry lot they are.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #22
Clay C
Ten Point

The fact is that Human history/existence is a brutal, bloody, painful thing. If you actually took a look back in history in an attempt to remove anything related to atrocities or that may offend some group of people, you would literally be left with nothing.

This is why the question "where does it stop" is so valid here.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #23
jer_james
Pope & Young

I believe it is easy to find where it stops.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #24
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
I believe it is easy to find where it stops.
Where is that?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
The fact is that Human history/existence is a brutal, bloody, painful thing. If you actually took a look back in history in an attempt to remove anything related to atrocities or that may offend some group of people, you would literally be left with nothing.

This is why the question "where does it stop" is so valid here.

Agree. You can try to erase history all you want. Just ensures that it will be repeated because you don’t learn from it.

People have been doing evil things since the dawn of time and they will continue to do it until the end of time. Still shouldn’t be erased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #26
Clay C
Ten Point

Since there are records of union troops slaughtering and raping women and children, do we take down anything related to Grant?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #27
postman
Ten Point

Not a single black, Afro-American or whatever they want to be called alive today was ever a slave. Get over it. Next thing we'll be writing them a reparations check cause their great, great, great, great grand pappy was.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

I'm white so it doesn't bather me. Maybe it should. Maybe I'm racist. I'm told everyday on the book of faces that I am...
Them schools/statues probably never should have been put up but they were. Kinda late to be bitching about them now.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
dagdog
Six Point

Hunt In: Haskell county

It's all feel good Bull. People are too quick to say, Why Not, to idiotic ideas. These idiotic ideas are eating away at our culture, our society and our freedoms.

Slavery was abolished in 1865 with the 13th amendment to the Constitution. No one alive today was a slave and yet we lay down when confronted by the Left (not liberals, the Left) because people in charge don't want the publicity or the headache and expense that comes from fighting these people. You can't change the past by renaming a school.

I am glad that the OP is standing up to this and I hope more people in Tyler join him.
dagdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #30
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Remember when ESPN pulled the Asian announcer from announcing a basketball game. Because his name is Robert Lee.

I mean that is pretty racist. To think somebodies name will trigger people.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #31
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:

You know where it stops. Or where they would like it to stop.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #32
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Since there are records of union troops slaughtering and raping women and children, do we take down anything related to Grant?
Those are individuals - they were not a representation of the entire group of Union forces.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #33
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
Grant and more importantly Sherman were ****ing war criminals.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #34
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Those are individuals - they were not a representation of the entire group of Union forces.

But atrocities, none the less.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #35
Clay C
Ten Point

I just think it's hilarious that the same people that want these names changed probably have a Che t-shirt in their closet.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #36
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Hell let's go fishing
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #37
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Grant and more importantly Sherman were ****ing war criminals.
You are not wrong.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #38
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

The end game is the constitution and bill of rights. If founding documents were drafted and implemented by racist Slave owners then they will clamor for it’s removal.
These statues are just the jump off point.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
But atrocities, none the less.
If you dont want to see a difference, then that's up to you.

Individual acts as opposed to an entire system representation of oppression are different to most.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #40
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
The end game is the constitution and bill of rights. If founding documents were drafted and implemented by racist Slave owners then they will clamor for it’s removal.
These statues are just the jump off point.
I disagree - not the same
Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #41
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

Individual acts as opposed to an entire system representation of oppression are different to most.
I see the difference. My point is, the reason we are talking about this is because someone decided they were offended. Just about anyone can find something to be offended about if they want to.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #42
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

HISD, Houston, changed some of the school names a couple of years ago. It only cost the tax payers right at $1,000,000 for each school. Now they are around $93,000,000 short fall in the red and trying to figure out how to stiff the tax payers to pay that. I can see your concern that an outsider has come in to stir the pot. That is the agenda of certain individuals.
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #43
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Signed and shared on FB. A good friend of mine attended REL here in Houston when it was actually a good school and, boy, he and bunch of other folks were hoppin' mad when the district caved.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #44
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

I think it is safe to say there aren't many surviving slaves or their children from the Civil War era.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #45
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
I disagree - not the same
What’s your point? I didn’t say the two were the same. I simply stated what I believe to be he end goal of the statue/renaming schools nonsense.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #46
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Quote:

So then the Democratic party and everything represented by it should be abolished and torn down, renamed, etc.... Since they were fighting for the same general things. Slavery, racism, etc.......

Right, they are a representation of an entire group, an entire system representation of oppression.

Seems to fit the logic you are using.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #47
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

Since the post above all I hear is.........

Crickets.......
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #48
unclefish
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
So then the Democratic party and everything represented by it should be abolished and torn down, renamed, etc.... Since they were fighting for the same general things. Slavery, racism, etc.......

Right, they are a representation of an entire group, an entire system representation of oppression.

Seems to fit the logic you are using.
What an incredible point.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #49
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin,Grayson and Fannin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
Many in Tyler have said that if REL's name is changed, that the other high school (John Tyler) be changed as well ALONG with the entire city name.

What fires me up about this more than anything is the person leading this. He has ZERO ties to Tyler or Robert E. Lee High School. He moved here and stirred up this **** show. I have talked to him on a few different occasions and he only replies that the school's name is racist and we (those who oppose the change) are racist for not wanting to change the name. I have spoken to friends and coworkers (white, black, hispanic) who all think it's ridiculous to change the name. Some went to REL, some to John Tyler and others from outside of Tyler.
I think you should get a group together and run the jerk out of town
muzzyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #50
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Just stupid. Things happened hundreds of years ago that we had no part of. Sorry it happened but spend the money on school safety for all students.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top