Was it cold enough to gel diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old 7.3 wouldn't go this morning. I had it plugged in and it cranked right up but it died after running about 30 seconds. Sounded like it was choking down till it just died. It cranked one more time but wouldn't stay running.

Shouldn’t have been. I’m in my 7.3 today and she cranked right up!

Comment

Diesel fuel gelling happens when the paraffin usually present in diesel starts to solidify when the temperature drops. At 32 degrees, the wax in liquid form will crystallize and leave the fuel tank clouded. At 10-15 degrees, it will finally start to gel and clog the tank and fuel filters.

Comment

If it gels will it ungel when the Temps rise back up?

Comment

Folks up North plug in their block heaters at night. One time we didn't and the truck wouldn't start the next morning. It was 0 degrees.

Comment

Diesel Kleen anti gel. I use it in the tractor, and I would on any older diesel this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              Folks up North plug in their block heaters at night. One time we didn't and the truck wouldn't start the next morning. It was 0 degrees.
              I am risk averse. . .
              Attached Files

Comment

Back in the day when we’re were modding 7.3’s we would pull the old screen and mixing assembly out of the tank, put a secondary filter on the frame rail and reroute the return to tank line off the filter assembly and reinstall it on the head. The latter mod allowed the fuel to heat up faster and expel gas bubbles from the head.

Comment

I am not a diesel guy but I have a oil furnace at my NY hunting camp and we have concerns about the fuel oil gelling since the tank is outside. The oil co that delivers to us sells a winter blend that is 50% kerosene and 50% home heating oil( which is basically diesel fuel). That is a bit more expensive than reg home heating oil. This keeps the oil flowing in zero degree temps and burning a little cleaner. Can the diesel truck guys put 5 gallons or so of kero in the tank to help with the gelling? Or does Kero fire too hot for a engine? Just a thought. I know they sell anti gel at walmart and I have put that in the oil tank also just for precautions. Just thinking some kero in the tank would help with fuel gelling in cold temps.

Comment

If it didn’t gel it probably had enough water in the filter to freeze and clog it up.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      I am risk averse. . .
                      Word. Mine get plugged in if I’m going to be driving them under 40 degrees. Just makes it easier on the truck.

To the OP, are you sure your block heater is good?

Comment

I plugged my 7.3 in last night. She fired right off this morning but about 20 min later started running like crap. I only had about 1/4 tank of fuel in it and managed to get her to the fuel station. I normally run the Power Services white bottle if I know it's going to get cold but hadn't put any into the tank of fuel I was running.

Filled up and added Power Services and in about 20 minutes she started running ok again. Not sure what it was but I'm betting it had to do with the fuel starting to gel.
                        Last edited by 175gr7.62; 01-17-2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                          My old 7.3 wouldn't go this morning. I had it plugged in and it cranked right up but it died after running about 30 seconds. Sounded like it was choking down till it just died. It cranked one more time but wouldn't stay running.
                          No. I started mine cold (Not plugged in) at -18 two weeks ago. Fuel right now is winter blend, and it takes a lot to gel it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                            I am not a diesel guy but I have a oil furnace at my NY hunting camp and we have concerns about the fuel oil gelling since the tank is outside. The oil co that delivers to us sells a winter blend that is 50% kerosene and 50% home heating oil( which is basically diesel fuel). That is a bit more expensive than reg home heating oil. This keeps the oil flowing in zero degree temps and burning a little cleaner. Can the diesel truck guys put 5 gallons or so of kero in the tank to help with the gelling? Or does Kero fire too hot for a engine? Just a thought. I know they sell anti gel at walmart and I have put that in the oil tank also just for precautions. Just thinking some kero in the tank would help with fuel gelling in cold temps.
                            Kerosene is basically the same as diesel. Look up #1 and #2 diesel. One had a higher blend of kerosene in it to keep it from gelling. Didn't have crap for power, but at least your diesel would run.

Comment

yep it was, had several trucks at work bogging down this morning. I se it more in the bio blends also.

Comment

Working...
                              X