No announcement yet.

Parents of kids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, again It's singapore...that was simply an attempt by the educator to tell the parents they should prioritize their degree of bruising from the caning. Getting a B+ should not warrant another trip to emergency center.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
      I tend to agree with this for the majority...there is some truth to what the teacher is saying but we must push our youth to succeed.
      I see your point as well. That being said making straight A's doesn't make one succeed either. A lot of other things make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        Not really. Hard work and good attitude has gotten me further than any exam ever did.
        I guess I should have followed this with the understanding that I dont condone bad grades or failing. I was NEVER an A student, but I got by.

I believe early education is the most important, say elementary through intermediate/middle school. There is a foundation that is taught during this time of a kids life that needs to be understood.

When I say exams, I’m referring to exams and certain courses that probably won’t ever make a person succeed in a career by learning it. There are a ton of things that were stuffed into my brain at the high school level that I have since forgotten, only because I’ve never had to use it or it has never come up again in my life.

Comment

My wife is a pediatric nurse for the last 30 years and they are slowly coming up with lots of different learning disabilities for children. Not saying right are wrong but they are learning some kids can memorize stuff easily and others cannot. Some kids get Algebra, History, etc, and some do not. No big deal to me carry on. I have 7 teachers in my family and the youngest is 39.

Comment

Push to succeed? Absolutely. Beat down to be the best in every scholastic discipline? Not so much.

I have a daughter who is a literature freak. Working on her Masters degree in some sort if literary specialization now. I told her high school counselors there was absolutely no need for her to study trigonometry, calculus, etc. They handled her class load to get her what she needed, but didn't beat her down with stuff she'd never use. Worked out perfectly in my opinion.

Comment

Perspective...

Comment

I don't use a lot of Calculus, Algebra, Latin, history of Russian literature or flaunt my SAT score in my everyday life. MY parents pushed me to WORK HARD. In school, athletics, my job, whatever....working hard was expected, even demanded. That has served me well. I hire a lot of people, and i'll take a hard worker over an educated idiot any day!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  I don't use a lot of Calculus, Algebra, Latin, history of Russian literature or flaunt my SAT score in my everyday life. MY parents pushed me to WORK HARD. In school, athletics, my job, whatever....working hard was expected, even demanded. That has served me well. I hire a lot of people, and i'll take a hard worker over an educated idiot any day!!!!
                  This^^^ I was taught from day 1 in my life to roll up your sleeves to make a decent living. Whether working for yourself with a few employees are for a company.

Comment

Bingo.

Comment

Parenting lays the foundation education is the building for your child’s future the school institution is just there as a service to help
                      Not do the job for the parents

Comment

Yep.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Not every one can be an A or a B student, hard work and a little horse sense will get you on down the trail pretty well.

Comment

I agree that parents need to keep things in perspective and that work ethic is more transferable than understanding the Pythagorean Theorem. That said, I think teaching our kids that results don’t matter is misleading. Raises, promotions, Super Bowl rings, successful companies are a product of production and results. Again, I’m all for emphasizing work ethic and preparation but if the results don’t show, I’m going to challenge my boys to improve on the results.

Grades don’t matter but improvement does!
                            Last edited by Buckley99; 01-16-2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                              Not every one can be an A or a B student, hard work and a little horse sense will get you on down the trail pretty well.
                              This exactly. I think if a kid is giving it everything he has that is what is important. Half assing something is something that wasnt tolerated in my house. I get so sick of this idea that every kid needs to go to college to get a degree. It seems if they dont, they are looked down upon. There are so many ways to make a great living that dont require a college degree. Teach your kids to work hard and pursue what they like and are good at.

Comment

I woutda left school along about junior high if dad didn't keep his boot in my but. With all unnecessary bs being pushed in the govt. schools these days a parent should home school if they expect their kids to get a quality education, just my opinion!

Comment

Working...
                                X