Question for those that have hunted South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those that have hunted South Africa

I’ve been told by others that my ammo had to be in “original” boxes.
    Is that true?
    I reload for my 270 WBY MAG and therefore don’t have boxes.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you

Originally posted by sec View Post
    I’ve been told by others that my ammo had to be in “original” boxes.
    Is that true?
    I reload for my 270 WBY MAG and therefore don’t have boxes.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you
    Buy a box or two of factory ammo and swap yours into them. Might as well play it safe.

Comment

I would do as stated above and at least play it safe

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Dixiehunter View Post
        Buy a box or two of factory ammo and swap yours into them. Might as well play it safe.
        Yes I thought of that but at $85 per box for ammo I’ll never shoot. It’s cheaper to find out if I can take my reloads.

Thank you anyway.

Comment

Go to accuratereloading.com and ask. They will know.

Comment

No, it's not true.

6. You can pack ammo in the same locking case.

This is another area that’s misunderstood and full of internet myth. Your ammo just needs to be stored in some type of safe container and not loose. Technically, you can keep ammunition in magazines, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It meets the letter of the law storage requirement, but too many airline and TSA agents will give you grief. Use a plastic ammo box or original cardboard packaging and you’ll be fine carrying that in the same lockable case as your gun.

Comment

I've taken reloads to Africa before. I bought some generic cardboard ammo boxes and printed out a label on my computer. I don't recall anyone ever even looking at it.

Comment

Print labels off computer. Just if you take a back up gun they can't be he same calliber.

Comment

Thanks for the info.!
                  I emailed accuratereloading.com/

Comment

Unfortunately, knowing the rules and following them doesn't always work out like it should. Chances are, the agent that you will have to deal with doesn't even know what they are doing, but will think that they do. They sometimes have their own set of rules it seems.

Always err on the side of caution... Any hunting trip overseas is far too much trouble and expense to gamble on anything questionable. Empty ammo boxes are not that hard to come up with. There's probably plenty of folks here who'd loan or give you boxes that would work.

Just my take...

Comment

Hello SEC,

Here is a link to the regulations page for importing guns/ammo into South Africa. I also recommend using riflepermits.com or one of many rifle import services to assist with the process of getting your guns into RSA. You can do it on your own for sure, but using an assist company will have you out of the SAPS office at the airport in less than 10 minutes. You will be met at the gate by a rep from the assist company that will literally walk you through the process. It is definitely worth the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by firehunt fish View Post
                        Hello SEC,

Here is a link to the regulations page for importing guns/ammo into South Africa. I also recommend using riflepermits.com or one of many rifle import services to assist with the process of getting your guns into RSA. You can do it on your own for sure, but using an assist company will have you out of the SAPS office at the airport in less than 10 minutes. You will be met at the gate by a rep from the assist company that will literally walk you through the process. It is definitely worth the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

http://riflepermits.com/regulations/
                        I have enlisted Africa Sky to meet and greet, handle the rifle permits and for my over night stay, Dries Visser recommended them.
                        I think I’ll just get some boxes and place my ammo in those, seems to be the safest course of action.

Thank for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
                          I have enlisted Africa Sky to meet and greet, handle the rifle permits and for my over night stay, Dries Visser recommended them.
                          I think I’ll just get some boxes and place my ammo in those, seems to be the safest course of action.

Thank for all the help.
                          SEC,

Africa Sky is a great choice. They will take good care of you... Dries Visser is also a great choice. They are good folks. We share a back fence with them on one of our concessions.

Comment

Originally posted by firehunt fish View Post
                            SEC,

Africa Sky is a great choice. They will take good care of you... Dries Visser is also a great choice. They are good folks. We share a back fence with them on one of our concessions.
                            Thanks for the info!!
                            I read lots of posts and talked to a few people that have hunted with them and it seems like they are good people. Now I just have to wait on August

Comment

One other question if you don't mind. Did you have to get any vaccines to go to South Africa?

Comment

Working...
                              X