Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys deserve to be thanked daily. I'm kinda glad I'm not speaking Japanese, German or Russian at the moment.... even though I was just talking to my cowboy in Spanish.... thank you all!

Comment

My mom always does it. I’ve noticed that it often causes discomfort. I’ve tried to talk to her about it, but it doesn’t do any good.

Comment

Yes it does. For many reasons. I never feel the need to be thanked for something I volunteered to do. I never know what to say either. I also dont want to be one of those sorry veterans walking around saying " you're welcome for my service do yall have a veterans discount?" I think thats a load of crud honestly. It's become very PC to have to thank veterans and it's because of those shameless vets that ask for people's thanks and attention. Not taking anything away from vets or those that are thankful and support them. I just think that theres some turds in the chili bowl that make it weird for everyone...

Comment

I think one reason it’s awkward is because a lot of folks, or at least me, feel like the military gave them more than they were able to give.

I’m a firm believer in democracy but I also think our country and our citizens might be better off if there was obligatory military and/or social service.

Lastly, I’ve found it less awkward if you simply ask a person in uniform “what is your military specialty?, how long have you been in service?, where are you from?, etc.” Then simply say, I’m sure glad we have young men/women like you serving this great country.

Comment

What makes it awkward (for me) is when walking into a restaurant for lunch or breakfast and someone offers to pay for the meal. Then they force their way to the register before you can pay when declining their offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's better than getting spit on or a soft drink thrown on you. Both those happened to me in "71 when I came back I threw down twice in two different air ports. Thank goodness the air port authorities were great in both places.

Comment

Yep. I never know to respond. Always end up saying no, thank you. Least gooberish thing to say

Comment

I retired after 22 years of service. When people thank me for my service. I just say thank you for your support. I also like to thanking the husbands & wives that stood beside there service members. My wife stood beside me the 22 years and still together at 36 years.

Comment

From the other side ( not a veteran ), some of us that didnt serve feel that the LEAST we can do is show appreciation. For me there is a bit of guilt ( for lack of a better word ) for not serving. Like someone else carried the load for me. As a fiercly independant person, that is humbling.

I have heard some say "well I just went to South Korea, never fought", or it was 1978, there was nothing really going on then" etc.

To me, while there is a special place place in my heart for combat vets, in the end its all the same. Served our Country, signed on the line risking death for a cause greater than yourself. For liberty.

That is more honorable than anything I have ever done and I am grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by gscout01 View Post
                      Yes it does. For many reasons. I never feel the need to be thanked for something I volunteered to do. I never know what to say either. I also dont want to be one of those sorry veterans walking around saying " you're welcome for my service do yall have a veterans discount?" I think thats a load of crud honestly. It's become very PC to have to thank veterans and it's because of those shameless vets that ask for people's thanks and attention. Not taking anything away from vets or those that are thankful and support them. I just think that theres some turds in the chili bowl that make it weird for everyone...
                      I’ve been literally hounded by “Vets” who want me to game the VA system with specious claims to collect easy money. I never took a dime for a permanent injury I sustained while in because it was my own stupid fault. I don’t advertise being a vet. I don’t walk around in my Desert storm hat except maybe on Veterans Day but if a business chooses to say thanks by offering a discount and I accept it.... well I guess that makes me a **** in the chili bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        I’ve been literally hounded by “Vets” who want me to game the VA system with specious claims to collect easy money. I never took a dime for a permanent injury I sustained while in because it was my own stupid fault. I don’t advertise being a vet. I don’t walk around in my Desert storm hat except maybe on Veterans Day but if a business chooses to say thanks by offering a discount and I accept it.... well I guess that makes me a **** in the chili bowl.

I'm on the same page as you. By saying **** in the chili bowl I'm talking about the vets that seek out discounts and ask any and everytime they purchase something. I've heard vets say they're getting what they're owed. I suppose that's why I feel the way I feel. I dont believe that just because you're a vet anyone owes you a single thing. I have the same feelings about the VA also. I wont use the VA because it's completely clogged with people seeking a paycheck and the truly injured dont get the care they need.

Comment

I thank them back for the recognition. Wasn't that way when I joined in 1980 - pains from Vietnam and Liberals spreading hate. And it wasn't much better in 2000 when I retired. 9/11 brought the change and it's good to see.

I reach out to every Vietnam Veteran I run into and I thank them and apologize for the crap they went through. Much respect for those and the Korean war vets - they had it hellish without much support.

Comment

I tell every vet I see thanks! I teach my kids to tell them too. I don’t make a public scene of it, just tell them quietly. I’m sorry if it makes some of them uncomfortable, I just really appreciate your service to our country. I think that may be a generational thing. Most of the older guys I talk to really appreciate the words as some of them got a lot worse when they came home from overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                              So why did you respond if it gets old? I never saw it posted before.

What was saying folks is I got out in '82. Sure no one was thanking me then and I didn't think they should. Those folks 10 years older than me got a whole lot worse reception.

Why it makes me awkward is because no one cared for so long.
                              Use the search feature, it's pretty handy.

Comment

I am pretty humble and while I appreciate the thanks it does make me feel a little weird. I feel like my service was something I chose to do. I made the choice for my own personal reasons. I did it as much for my own benefit as I did out of a sense of duty, service and tradition. I got more out of it than anything. I was never in harms way. I was no hero. I just was a guy who volunteered, wore the uniform, went to work and did what I was asked to do and I was compensated for it in a number of ways. So yeah, it always feels weird when I say something in passing about "Right after I got out of the Navy we..." "Thank you for your service!" "Uh, oh, uh, well you are welcome."

But I also do appreciate that people are thankful and that they take the time to recognize our service. I'd rather have praise I feel I am not owed than hate that I know I am not owed.

Comment

Working...
                                X