Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Coastal” region Rut activity or lack of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched a buck running a doe in Matagorda this morning.

Comment

Rut is on for sure saw 4 hunters in camo going into a strip joint yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        BarX cannot be used as bench mark for the counties rut... That deer here is completely out of kilter and has been for many years.. I remember riding around out there in the late 70's, when it was still private, and you could not even begin to count the deer.. It looked like the great migrations in Africa.. There were some monsters bucks out there too back then..

I live bordering a huge federal refuge and feed year around here at the house but do not hunt it. I had a bunch of nice bucks(8-10)on camera by this time last year and not a single buck on camera this year, as of today.. AND I haven't seen one on the refuge right of ways or the Griffith ranch along 35.... Very weird..

I keep hearing about what it used to be like. That woulda been neat to see. I can only imagine what the deer population used to be. Heck I doubt it will even ever be near what it was prior to the 2016 flood. Hunters everywhere yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
          I keep hearing about what it used to be like. That woulda been neat to see. I can only imagine what the deer population used to be. Heck I doubt it will even ever be near what it was prior to the 2016 flood. Hunters everywhere yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I think it opened as a sub division(lots for sale)in 78 or 79, I can't remember. I may be off on that but no it will never be like it used to be.. I caught a BASS in 80 that was 10.6 in the front lake, off the bank, and over the early years caught more 7's and 8's than I could count.. That same day my football coach caught a 11+ and a 10+... The fishing was insane!!!!! Once the roads went from "private" to "county roads" it started declining fast.. It's been going down hill steadily ever since... For years there were very few homes out there but in the last 15 years it has blown up..it just a big subdivision now.. The feel of Country living is gone... I have some vhs videos from the early 80's that are pretty insane.. Back in late December of 85 I seen one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in my life out there.. He was in the middle of a herd of about 200 deer in the far south west corner. Not many other bucks that big have ever walked the woods in this county, if any.. Also the lakes out there were home to thousands and thousands of ducks.. Back in the day the front lake, which is across the street from my parents home, would literally be solid ducks.. Every species you could imagine.. I have seen more than 20 ducks on it in many years now.. It's very depressing for me to go out there now.. For many reasons..
          Last edited by PondPopper; 09-30-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X