Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youth guns vs. full size in same model ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth guns vs. full size in same model ???

I am looking to get my son(13) another gun. Been shooting a NEF 7mm-08. It has misfire issues. Gonna have it looked at, but thought I would still look for another one...

My issue is I want it to grow with him... What I would like to do, is buy a youth model & then a few years from now, buy a full size stock for it.

Has anyone done this? Looking at the entry level guns in Savage, Marlin & Ruger to see what they have and didn't really see where they had adult size versions of the youth.

Looking at the 7mm-08, .270 & 30-06. We do more bowhunting than rifle, but would like to get something for the meat hunts... ideas....???

thanx,

Watching this

Comment

I have a friend who bought his son a full size Browning 7-08, had the stock precision cut, kept the 2 pieces that were taken off and put an aftermarket butt plate. As his son grew, he added 1 piece then the other and now he is shooting the full size rifle with a refinished original stock.

Comment

Had thought about that & did it to an old 30-30 bolt action rifle I have.(for an older son).

I had rather not have to cut the stock. But... I could , I guess, buy another stock on ebay and cut it down to fit and put the original back on when he grows some.

Comment

Get a Remington 700 or savage 10/110 youth model. When he gets bigger, stock options are endless. If you go with the "entry level" which translates to bargain basement models like the 710 or 783, or savage axis (not sure about savage), you'll have trouble finding aftermarket stocks.

Comment

Get the Savage Youth model on 7mm-08. Then change to a better stock when he gets older.

Comment

I'm making a .300 blackout AR suppressed to let my son shoot with the adjustable stock. He's 7 yrs old and shot the .308 suppressed with no problem...

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
                Get the Savage Youth model on 7mm-08. Then change to a better stock when he gets older.
                Which model? I like Savage.

Comment

I'll look at the Savage 10/110

I am not familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    I'll look at the Savage 10/110

I am not familiar with it.
                    It's a model 10 or a model 110. Same action, difference is short action vs long action. It's the flagship of the savage lineup, basically, all 10, 11, 12, 16 etc are the same short action, with different stock options. Same goes for 110, 111, 112 etc, except in long action.

Comment

I had an old Remington 308, we replaced the wood stock with a synthetic and cut it down to fit my son, he grew into the regular stock a couple of years later. After he grew out of it I robbed the action and had a custom 300 WSM built for me.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                        It's a model 10 or a model 110. Same action, difference is short action vs long action. It's the flagship of the savage lineup, basically, all 10, 11, 12, 16 etc are the same short action, with different stock options. Same goes for 110, 111, 112 etc, except in long action.
                        Pros & cons of short action and long action ???

Comment

I am not sure if it is just at the local gun shop in Baytown but I was in there the other day looking for a new rifle for my son. Had to order one because he was left handed and they didn't have any in stock.......but.......

they had a deal going, and it looked like manufacturer deal, on the Savage Axis.
                          The deal is you buy a youth model rifle in whatever caliber and you got a coupon for $50 off a full size stock when the child is ready.

I ordered up a 7mm08 but I think it was any caliber that they make the axis in

Comment

Dad got me a youth model 110 in 243 when I was a kid for my first deer rifle. I've since put a full size stock on it and can use it like any other gun. I kept the old youth stock and will put it back on the give to my future son for his first deer rifle.

Comment

Bought a 700 in synthetic stainless 243. Took to gunsmith and had stock cut to fit my 8 yr old. Put muzzle break, bedded action, floated barrel and put Swarovski Z3 4-10 on top. Between my daughter and her cousins ans me and my brother, we have shot about 20 animals with it in the last 3 yrs. will switch to regular stock when she is 16 or so. I thought about this for 3 years before I had all that work done and I believe it's the perfect deer stand setup for kids 8-14 yrs old. I love shooting it too. The youth rifles are so light. I think having more weight to it helps a kid (or anyone else) stabilize the rifle when given a good rest in a stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X