First doe in 12 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First doe in 12 years

I decided to get in the stand a little earlier than I normally do this evening so at 2:35 I left the house and headed out. After a short drive in the mule and a 300 yard walk, I was at my tripod. I had been having some trouble with the feeder so I checked it out before I got in the tripod. Everything looked good so I settled in for the evening hunt ( about 3:00). I thought I would let things settle down and then do a little rattling to see if I could call something in even though I am not allowed to shoot a mature buck this year (BIL's rules). I had seen a 130-135 inch 8 pt this morning that was lockdown with a doe so I figured I had a good chance of rattling in something. While waiting for things to settle down I decided I would read for a short while, maybe one chapter in my book. While reading I noticed that some doves had spooked to the southwest and had flown over. I really didn't think that much about it but it was a warning of what was coming my way. When I had finished my reading I put my book away in my pants pocket. As I looked up there was a doe not 15 yards away starting to circle downwind in order to check the feeder before coming in. The deer always do this at this feeder so I had cleared a shooting lane to the north in order to be able to shoot when they crossed a clearing behind me. As she went behind a mesquite I drew and anchored. She cleared the mesquite so I mouth bleated her to a stop. Just as I start to squeeze the release she started moving so I bleated at her again. She stopped at 26 yards, I settled the 20 yard pin just a little high and touched her off. I heard the arrow hit but I didn't see it's flight. The arrow stuck in the ground past her as she went tearing out of there. I looked at my phone and it said 3:23. After a short wait I got down to go check my arrow. It was covered in blood. I thought I would just take a quick look to find the blood trail then wait some more. I didn't take 5 steps and I could see her laying up ahead not 50 yards away. She was the biggest doe I have ever shot and the first one I had killed in 12 years (have let my son and nephews shoot most of the does in past years). I tagged her, loaded her in the mule and headed back to ranch house. I hung her up, quartered and trimmed her, then disposed of the carcass by 4:48. I really like the no gut method of cutting up a deer. Sorry for the long read but I am pretty excited that I am on the board for this season. Now if my youngest nephew will shoot a mature buck maybe my BIL will change his mind and let me chase one of our mature bucks during the last 1/3 of the season. Here is a picture of the entrance hole.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	25133160

Nice shooting

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Waydago very nice

Comment

[emoji1303]