Thoughts on this rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this rifle?

I have the itch for a new deer/hog rifle. I've had the same Ruger 270 for about 20 years. No other rifles.

What do y'all think about this in 6.5 CM or 7mm08? Worth the extra to get it threaded?

Rifle Specs * Caliber 7mm-08 Action Trued Remington Barrel Bartlein #3 1-9 Twist Barrel Fluting Ratchet Barrel Length 22 Bottom Metal APR BDL Threading None Trigger Timney Bolt Fluting Spiral Bolt Knob Skelotonized & Small Fluted Stock McMillan Mountaineer Cerakote Copper Pearl Weight 7.2 lbs Extras Leupold VX-3 2.

The 7mm-08 will shoot just about the same as your .270 just with a lot less recoil. Out to 400 yards in my opinion the 7mm-08 is the better rifle but past that the 6.5 will out perform them all.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thegutman; 04-08-2018, 01:58 AM.

Comment

That's pretty sweet.. Get you one and go with the 7mm08. I wouldn't thread it.

Comment

That is a nice rifle. If I could only have one
        gun, that one in a 7’08 would be awesome.

I have shot my .270’s for many years.
        No complaints. Just bought the T/C
        Compass 6.5 creedmore. $220 at carters country
        In Houston. Already threaded. Deer and Hogs gonna hate
        this cheap gun I didn’t need. Especially if I ever decide
        Use the threads.

BP

Comment

7-08 of those two... shoot heavier bullets

Comment

You will love that rifle. I prefer 7-08 for hunting but there is more quality factory ammo choices for the 6.5 CM

Comment

That's a very good looking rifle for sure and the two calibers mentioned are very popular these days. I tend to lean towards the "common" calibers that are readily available in Podunk USA if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                That's a very good looking rifle for sure and the two calibers mentioned are very popular these days. I tend to lean towards the "common" calibers that are readily available in Podunk USA if needed.
                I do the same thing when picking a new caliber. Just picked up a 308 and looking for 7.62x39 in a bolt gun.

Comment

I think your 270 is about to get lonely!!

You will love a set up like that regardless of caliber choice...i personally don't like threaded / suppressed guns unless they are 16" or less as they just get too clumsy for my kind of hunting. You need a 22-24" tube & the can would take away the handiness of the mountain aspect.

Comment

Both are great ...if your reloader both are great...Factory ammo for 7-08 most common..

Comment

The 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM are my two favorite calibers. I'd not hesitate to take either sheep or elk hunting but I'd probably lean toward the 7mm-08 for elk. 6.5 CM factory ammo options are much better, as mentioned above.
                      I'd have it threaded for a muzzle brake but I wouldn't put a suprressor on a 22" barrel.

Comment

Nice looking rig but honestly there are some factory guns out there these days that shoot lights out for 1/3 the money. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, got rid of the sloppy trigger, free floated the barrel, and put a 4.5-14 Leupold VX 3 on it. Legit sub .75 MOA rifle with the Hornady 143 factory ELD-X ammo, for around $1k including glass and a Timney Trigger. Just a thought if you are looking for a lightweight all around rifle that won’t break the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                          Nice looking rig but honestly there are some factory guns out there these days that shoot lights out for 1/3 the money. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, got rid of the sloppy trigger, free floated the barrel, and put a 4.5-14 Leupold VX 3 on it. Legit sub .75 MOA rifle with the Hornady 143 factory ELD-X ammo, for around $1k including glass and a Timney Trigger. Just a thought if you are looking for a lightweight all around rifle that won’t break the bank.
                          I just bought one for a buddy's kid.
                          Did you do the trigger yourself? I want to modify the trigger on my Ruger Hawkeye FTW but our local gun shop doesn't work on Ruger triggers.

Comment

I purchased a drop in replacement for it.

Comment

I have that same rifle, well sort of.
                              I had APR build me a .308 with a threaded barrel.
                              It is one of my favorites suppressed

Comment

Working...
                              X